Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Briar's Boo Boo

Sylvie
September 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Briar is doing much better today. He is still sore, but that is to be expected.

Thought I would post a picture of his bandage. It is so cute, not that he cares.:D

14+kitties
September 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Aww Briar :cloud9: He is soooo sweet! I'm glad he's doing better. :thumbs up

Chris21711
September 12th, 2010, 01:28 PM
It sure is a funky bandage Sylvie...wishing Briar a quick recovery :lovestruck:

Rgeurts
September 12th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I'm so glad to see he's recovering well! What a sweet baby :cloud9::lovestruck:
That bandage is just too cute!!
All Nanook ever gets are the solid colors like white or blue :rolleyes:

diandpat
September 12th, 2010, 01:50 PM
:lovestruck::lovestruck: Sweet Briar...he looks very comfy to be home. I am sure he will recover quickly and safely and this hurdle will be passed as well.

He has such a sweet face :lovestruck:
:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

Sylvie
September 12th, 2010, 01:56 PM
That bandage is just too cute!!
All Nanook ever gets are the solid colors like white or blue :rolleyes:

It was the vet tech who put the little add ons. She told me that they come with the bandage but the vets never use them. It is too bad, because it did bring a smile to my face when I picked him up.

Briar's new bandage is dark green with a fire hydrant and another smilie.

Just mentioned to hubby how much the vet bills have been in the last week :eek:and we both agree he is worth every penny.

Thank you everyone for all your well wishes and :goodvibes: I am sure they helped. He is a little fighter.

Rgeurts
September 12th, 2010, 02:00 PM
It was the vet tech who put the little add ons. She told me that they come with the bandage but the vets never use them.

Oh!! Ok... next time I'm going to ask for that! It would make me smile too :D

Just mentioned to hubby how much the vet bills have been in the last week :eek:and we both agree he is worth every penny.

LoL, I can certainly relate, and agree! They're definitely worth it :cloud9: :lovestruck:

mastifflover
September 12th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Briar looks like it is just a bump in the road glad he is on the mend I love his bandage very cute

Winston
September 12th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Theres that sweet boy! I love the bandage!! glad to hear they put a little extra into how he looked! :laughing:

worth every penny!!

Keep it up buddy!!

chico2
September 12th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Sylvie,I must have missed what happened to Briar,but he looks to be on the mend.
He looks so very soft and cuddly,beautiful.
My vet also put colorful bandages on Rocky every time he had a blood-test,usually with hearts and things..
I think that's a very nice touch.

Dee-O-Gee
September 12th, 2010, 06:23 PM
I'm with Chico2 in that I missed what happened as well. :(

Hope Briar is doing much better. :thumbs up

Tundra_Queen
September 12th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Me too...what happened to Briar? He sure is pretty. I hope he is all better soon. :grouphug:

luckypenny
September 12th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Oh Briar, I'm completely in love with you :flirt:!!

Sylvie, I can't believe you've been keeping this gorgeous boy from us :frustrated:. Tell you what, you can make it up by posting more pics of him :D :goodvibes:. Not sure if you ever mentioned it but, how did he come about to be a member of your family?

ancientgirl
September 12th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Oh, he is a handsome boy. I love the little add-ons on the bandage. Poor sweetie. I hope he gets better soon.

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Aw, there's the sweetie!!! :flirt: And so fashionably bandaged! :D

Heal up quickly, Briar!! :goodvibes:

Sylvie
September 12th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Not sure if you ever mentioned it but, how did he come about to be a member of your family?

13 years ago, we were asked to foster him for K-9 Vision in Guelph. He was not doing well in the kennels. We fostered him for 7 months. Took him to Obedience School and exposed him to all kinds of different things. He passed every test they gave him with flying colours. Then they decided he would be a special needs dog. They worked with him for 6 months,we did not see him. We were waiting to be invited to his graduation and then out of the blue we got a call that he was not doing well in the kennel and did we want to purchase him. Well, you did not have to ask us twice. Hubby picked him up the next day and then picked me up from work.

I was so excited to see him, but when I went to the car there was a shell of a golden in the back seat. There was no life in his eyes.:( He did not even acknowledge that there was a person there. (not like a golden) To make a long story short, we worked with him and turned him into the happy fellow that he is today.

We love that little fellow very much, even though he is not a shepherd :laughing:

hazelrunpack
September 12th, 2010, 11:38 PM
I'm glad he made his way back to you! :grouphug:

aslan
September 13th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Sylvie i'm just seeing this now....YAY for Briar being such a strong old boy and i love his spiffy cast too...Qman says if he's half as handsome as Briar at that age he'll be happy. Briar you keep healing up nice for your mommy.:grouphug:

Sylvie
September 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind wordsand all the :goodvibes:.

I think it might be working.:D

Went to the vet today and they took Briar's bandage off. We need to let the air at the wound. It looks pretty good so far. His temperature was normal. The only problem is that I am having trouble getting him to eat his food. :frustrated:

I am able to get him to take his medication by giving him timbits, but he cannot live on timbits. We will see what tomorrow brings.

hazelrunpack
September 13th, 2010, 09:55 PM
I wonder if his tummy is still a little 'off' from the anesthesia? I hope he eats for you soon, Sylvie :fingerscr

Glad to hear that his owie is healing well! :thumbs up

Dee-O-Gee
September 13th, 2010, 10:31 PM
Great to hear the bandages came off for air. :highfive: Not eating could very well be from the anesthesia or just his body trying to regain it's normal composure. :shrug:

Hope he regains his appetite soon! :fingerscr

Sylvie
September 14th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I was just opening tuna for sandwiches and he came into the kitchen. I put the tuna water over his kibble and he wolfed it down. I am so glad he ate.

Now I have to give him his pills that will be another ordeal. :laughing:

rainbow
September 14th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Glad his boo boo looks good and hope it heals well. :goodvibes:

Is he eating today? :fingerscr

rainbow
September 14th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I was just opening tuna for sandwiches and he came into the kitchen. I put the tuna water over his kibble and he wolfed it down. I am so glad he ate.

Now I have to give him his pills that will be another ordeal. :laughing:

Ooops, I didn't see this before I posted since I got "page cannot be displayed" the first time I hit reply. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear that he's eating again :thumbs up .....do you give him his pills with canned food? :)

Frenchy
September 14th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Glad to hear that he's eating again :thumbs up .....do you give him his pills with canned food? :)

I'm so late in this thread :yell: omg I love him :lovestruck: :cloud9: he's beautiful and you will have to post more pics of him now :D the bandages were too cute !

I always give my guys their pills in cheese or peanut butter , so far , none have complained :D

speedy recovery Briar ! :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
September 14th, 2010, 11:09 PM
Hurrah! Glad his appetite is coming back! Was he a good boy about taking his pill, I hope? :fingerscr

14+kitties
September 14th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Good boy Briar! You eat for mom! :cloud9:

Sylvie
September 15th, 2010, 06:07 PM
No he was not a good boy taking his pills.:eek: He used to the best of all my furbutts pets for taking pills. Now he won't take anything that has a pill in it. He used to love plain timbits till I started hiding the pills.:yuck: He loved peanut butter till I put the pills in there.:yuck: Anything I use he stops eating. He is a spoiled brat, but an:angel: at the same time. I am getting:frustrated: but hopefully, it won't go on much longer.

He ate his dinner last night and some brecky this morning. Now I am going to give him dinner, hopefully, he hasn't got tired of tuna yet. :D

His leg is looking pretty good. Hates to have the cone on, but it does keep him from licking. It has almost been a week. Can't believe how fast time goes.

Winston
September 15th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Yayyyyy! You be a good boy tonight Briar! :D I am sure you can trick him with something! :D

Give Briar a smooch for me! :thumbs up Have a good day tomorrow!

rainbow
September 16th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Aw, it's so frustrating when they won't co-operate taking their pills. :frustrated: :grouphug: If only they would realize that we're doing it for their own good. :D

Have you tried giving him a couple pieces of hot dog and then a piece with the pill? Or can you hide it in canned tripe? Is it absolutely impossible to just put it down his throat?

Glad his leg is looking good :thumbs up and you know we all would love to see more pics. :goodvibes:

loopoo
September 16th, 2010, 03:15 PM
glad he is doing better and eating what a beautifully sweet soulful face he has!

Sylvie
September 16th, 2010, 08:24 PM
Thank you everyone for your support.

Every day he is getting better.

It is a 2 man job to give him his pills. Hubby holds his head and opens his mouth and I put it at the back of his mouth. It takes all of 2 seconds but I hate doing it. But he has to have them.

Tried the hot dog routine Rainbow but he is on to me and will not take any treat from my hand, including his favourite tim bit.

We have another week of antibiotics, then who knows, but at this point he is doing great.

The vet who performed the operation called today to see how he was doing. She told me that the infection was all the way to his bone :eek: Can't figure out what caused this.

TeriM
September 16th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Lucy got super tough to give pills to until we came up with this technique.
Get some deli meat (ham, roast beef, turkey etc).

Prepare one small piece with a dab of spray cheese (or cheez whiz) and dab pill in centre and roll meat around pill.

Then ..... VERY IMPORTANT ....

Give one piece of lunch meat with no pill
Give second piece including pill
Follow immediately with final piece of lunch meat with no pill.

Seemed to work for Lucy when nothing else did :shrug:.

I'm glad Briar is doing better :thumbs up.

free
September 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
had the same problem when beau was on meds for a month. this is a dog who would eat anything i found if i switched it up daily that helped a bit one day would be a potatoe or sweet potatoe another would be a peanut butter and bread with the pill in the middle

rainbow
September 16th, 2010, 11:39 PM
It is a 2 man job to give him his pills. Hubby holds his head and opens his mouth and I put it at the back of his mouth. It takes all of 2 seconds but I hate doing it. But he has to have them.

Tried the hot dog routine Rainbow but he is on to me and will not take any treat from my hand, including his favourite tim bit.

Sometimes I think the pill down the throat is alot harder on us than it is to them. :D

Hope the next week goes quickly and glad to hear that he is doing well. :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
September 17th, 2010, 12:12 AM
Yay for improvement! :highfive: Good boy, Briar!!!

Sylvie
September 18th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Briar's leg is improving but he is still refusing food. I am going out to get all kinds of goodies for him I am going to try to find the tripe everyone talks about. Where would I find it??

Winston
September 18th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Sylvie they have it at M&G in the can....Glad he is feeling better!

Sylvie
September 18th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks Winston, I will try the pet food store in town first and then go from there.

chico2
September 18th, 2010, 10:17 AM
Sylvie,I know how frustrating it is when our babies don't eat,in a cat it can be devastating,even just a couple of days,is it the same for a large dog?
Is he at least drinking water?
:pray:Briar will smarten up and not worry his mom and us:pray:

Love4himies
September 18th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Sylvie, could it be the antibiotics causing Briar to loose his appetite? Sending lots of :goodvibes::goodvibes: that he starts eating soon.

Sylvie
September 18th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I am sure it is the meds that is causing him not to eat. I just got back from the store. Found some canned food that I normally would not give him, but got hubby to feed him because he is suspicious that I am going to give him a pill. He ate half the food, but I am happy, we will see what he eats tonight.

Chico, it is not as bad for Briar as it is for the precious kitties. He had a couple of extra lbs. I always like my guys to have a couple of extra lbs on them, so that if they are sick they don't become skin and bones. He is on his way to becoming skinny but I will fight him to the end. :laughing::laughing:

His leg is healing wonderfully, once he is back to normal (1 more week of the dreaded antibiotic) :yuck:and then I am hoping he will get his appetite back. He is normal in every other way.:shrug: He is alert and drinks water, will now take some treats, will even run (O.K. fast walk) into the kitchen if he thinks someone else is getting a treat. :confused:

Thank you once again everyone for your support :thumbs up This is a wonderful site.

rainbow
September 18th, 2010, 01:44 PM
It sounds like it is just the meds that are causing his inappetance and hopefully that is the cause.

Was it the canned tripe you bought? If so, the Tripett (http://www.tripett.com/Home.html) brand is the best and here is the store locator for Ontario ....

http://www.tripett.com/Locations/Ontario.pdf

There is two stores listed in Caledon but don't know if that's a typo and should be Caledonia ....

Petrific Pet Foods
15980 Airport Road
Caledon East, Ontario

Glad to hear his leg is doing well :thumbs up and hope he eats his supper tonight. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Caledon Mountain Wildlife Supplies
18371 Hurontario Street
Caledon Village, Ontario

chico2
September 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Awww Sylvie that sounds good,if he's interested in treats,I am sure he is on his way to recovery:laughing:
He is such a beautiful boy:lovestruck:

Frenchy
September 18th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I sure hope you find some green tripe Sylvie ! This stuff is crack/cocaine for dogs :laughing: they all go nuts for it. :crazy:

You'll understand once you smell the stuff :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

14+kitties
September 18th, 2010, 06:42 PM
:grouphug: to you and continued :goodvibes::fingerscr:pray: for Briar. What a sweetheart. :cloud9:

hazelrunpack
September 19th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Great news on the healing! :fingerscr the inappetance is just from the antibiotic! His tummy will feel better when he's not taking it any more. How many more days does he need it?

Rgeurts
September 19th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I'm so glad he is healing well!! Give that big fluffball a kiss and hug for me!! :lovestruck::cloud9:

And this probably sounds dumb, but is green tripe a cooked product? Or raw?
I've never used it before :o

Winston
September 22nd, 2010, 06:35 PM
Hey there mf! how is my boy doing? I was home sick today! hope your feeling better too!

Cindy

Sylvie
September 22nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
Winston, you should have called me.

Briar is good one day and bad the next. I will be glad when we have completed the pills. His leg looks wonderful.

On Tuesday I took my book outside and he was with me. He seemed to really enjoy it. Couldn't do that today it was raining most of the day.