Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Golden retriever 3 months Need Help

BokiCak
September 9th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Hello i have a bit problems with my golden puppy.I have hard time training her do not pee and pup in house,and and it's was easy to train her sit command and lay with food reward. But now she is a bit aggressive or i don't know.Yesterday i say her with something in her mouth and i wanted to pull it away cuz i don't know maybe she going to swallow it...when i come close to her and i just touch her at top of head she started to bark on me and bitting i said no and she was more aggressive then i slap her with paper in the ass and i put her outside. I don't know if this is normal or i was mistaken because i wanted to take that in her mouth?? Any advice or something?

Today,we was outside in yard then she pick up something my sister went to her to take it out she said drop it,so she start to be more aggressive,start to wrinkle her nose and snarling on my sis,then she slap on the nose and my puppy bite her on the hand and was barking so crazy.

We don't know what to do . Is this normal or we have some crazy dog:(:(

mastifflover
September 9th, 2010, 01:06 PM
First of all no hitting or slapping you are not going to get anywhere with that. You do not train a dog to fear you. I really think the best thing is for you and your pup to enroll in obedience classes. Your dog growling and snapping at you is not acceptable and if you hit the dog it is only learning to be afraid of you and not to respect you. Your sister got bit because she hit your dog. Your dog is normal but is in serious need of training and I really think you need to have someone to guide you. Does the dog have a name? Slapping with a newpaper will have her going after the paper as she will associate it with punishment do not hit or slap the dog someone will get bit again. Please enroll in a beginner obedience class then you can discuss these behaviours with a professional who will be able to show you how to correct them. Goldens always want to please there owners

BenMax
September 9th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Hello and welcome.

Firstly never hit an animal when correcting behaviour. If your dog is showing aggressive tendancies, you are reacting 'aggressive' to correct it? It does not make sense does it.

I highly recommend that you enroll in puppy classes for basic training which will equip you properly on how to deal with certain issues. This knowledge will help you learn more about dog/puppy behaviour and how to help your puppy become a good canine citizen. I assume by reading your thread that this is your first dog? Am I correct?

Where did you get your puppy and at what age?

BokiCak
September 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Yea this is my first puppy her name is Bella,hat's is gift from my parents,i have when she was ermm 5.5 weeks or so.I told that to my sister do not slap but she keep telling me to show who is alpha.I will sign a class on Monday because here where i live it's holiday time.

mastifflover
September 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Good and you will learn a lot from the classes. The alpha thing one way to train but most dogs do not need to be dominated they need to respect you not fear you. You will have a much better doggie citizen by working with your dog. Let us know how classes go and let the instructor know about the problems you are having with territorial issues guarding toys and bones and food they will help you with solutions. Glad you found us and any questions someone here can usually help out. Post picture of Bella we would love to see her

JennieV
September 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum,
Please give a little more details about Bella, does she play rough? does she show food aggression?
I also agree about taking some classes with her, as she was way too young when you got her and did not get to be socialized with her mom and siblings, to show her the right way to behave. Please do not hit her, this will only make her afraid of you and not remove any aggression. Essentially, she will learn to hate you rather than love you and this will grow to be a bigger problem.
We hope to see pics of Bella! :thumbs up

Dog Dancer
September 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I was going to say what JennieV said, your sweet Bella was too young when you got her and did not learn the proper socialization skills from her mommy and siblings. This will now be your job unfortunately. A group class, where you attend with the dog, will do wonders for you both.

If you want to train your dog to "leave it" or "drop it" because she has something in her mouth, you have to offer something better in trade. Most lab/retrievers are very food motivated so it makes it easy. Use some small dog kibbles or bits of treats that the dog will really love (many people use broken up hot dogs), and when she picks something up that she's not supposed to have offer to trade it with her. Hold the high value treat in front of her nose and say "drop it" or "leave it" or whatever command you want to use with her for that action. I used drop it. As soon as she drops the bad item you give her the good item and praise her like she just learned the worlds best trick. Remove the bad item immediately from her area. Be consistant with this. Always have a treat handy, if you have to go looking for it the time will be too late. As she becomes used to the command you can reward her with a play toy or a good pat on the head instead of food all the time.

Good luck with your pup, the work will be worth it.

BokiCak
September 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I will put pics tomorrow,i am still pissed of what happen today.Well when she plays with toys she roll over to floor,sometimes she running around the toy and she jump to catch it,sometimes she snarl at the toy...

mastifflover
September 9th, 2010, 04:57 PM
When Clark plays with his toy he throws it in the air he growls at it and he is having fun. Don't associate all growling noises with aggression. Clark sometimes sounds like he is going to kill the ball but it is all play he rolls around on the floor he pounces on the ball. Bella is still very young and taken from her mother much to early so you will have issues to deal with but they are fixable and well worth the time and effort. You will see once you start working with her in obedience she will probably be much happier and want to please you. Just be consistent with your training and in no time you will be amazed how she improves Patience and lots of it no hitting that will just set you back