Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

CRF cat vomiting since introduction of meds and LP food

catmori
September 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM
This is my first post ever so hopefully I'm doing this right. Our 6 year old cat Geddy was diagnosed with kidney disease one month ago. According to the numbers he is stage 4 but he still thinks he's just a 6 year old cat. We are giving him epakitin, fortekor, and Azodly as well as sub Q injections twice a day. He's on Royal Canin renal LP (combination of wet and dry). He has a strong appetite and eats it (still tries to steal his sisters higher protein food though) and is in much better spirits than before diagnosis. Our one issue is that once a day, normally in the middle of the night (of course) he vomits. It is a large amount of food and we have tried everything to figure out what is causing it. He did not vomit before diagnosis so we are assuming it is something we have introduced. Upon the recommendation of the vet we have omitted giving him certain meds for a day or two to see if we can identify one particular med that is causing this but he still vomits. We are now thinking perhaps it is the food. Our vet said she can give him an anti nauseant however I'd like to know what is causing it to see if there is some other answer. If anyone has any suggestions I'm ready to try anything - thanks very much - Cathy

growler~GateKeeper
September 9th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Hi welcome to the forum & the CRF cat club :grouphug:

Have you tried feeding smaller more frequent meals? With the last meal right before bed?

When is the last meal of the day?

Is the dry food left out all the time or is it meal fed?

Is the vomited food digested or not?

Is the other cats food left out over night?

Are you sure it's Geddy that's vomiting and not the other cat?

Have you raised Geddy's food dishes up off the floor between 2-6 inches to prevent nausea while eating?

Have you had a read through here: Early Stage Kidney Failure in Cat (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45017), there are also some great alternatives to vet prescription food here.

catmori
September 9th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks Growler for your response! Here are my answers...

Have you tried feeding smaller more frequent meals? With the last meal right before bed? Yes, we are giving him quite a few small meals throughout the day as he normally eats everything in his dish now when we give it to him. He seems to be hungry all the time whereas before he was ill our cats left food in their dishes and sort of came and went throughout the day.

When is the last meal of the day? Normally around 8 pm with the Epakitin powder mixed in.

Is the dry food left out all the time or is it meal fed? As mentioned above we leave his food out (assuming he hasn't eaten it all). I'm giving him a mixture of the wet and dry Royal Canin LP each time - don't normally give him just dry.

Is the vomited food digested or not? This morning the vomited food was not completely digested.

Is the other cats food left out over night? Not very often - we are trying to be really vigilant about not letting him get her food (and of course she tries to eat his!)

Are you sure it's Geddy that's vomiting and not the other cat? Yes, we normally wake up when he's getting sick - its definitely Geddy.

Have you raised Geddy's food dishes up off the floor between 2-6 inches to prevent nausea while eating? Yes, I think I actually found this idea in the link you mention below :), it doesn't seem to have made a difference unfortunately

Have you had a read through here: Early Stage Kidney Failure in Cat, there are also some great alternatives to vet prescription food here. Until now I was thinking it was due to the meds not the food so I hadn't investigated this option because he seems to eat the LP food.

Thanks so much for your possible assistance - we love our cat and other than the vomiting he seems so much more like himself again and would like to relieve this awful side effect for him.

14+kitties
September 9th, 2010, 12:28 PM
As mentioned above we leave his food out (assuming he hasn't eaten it all). I'm giving him a mixture of the wet and dry Royal Canin LP each time - don't normally give him just dry.
Until now I was thinking it was due to the meds not the food so I hadn't investigated this option because he seems to eat the LP food.

It is not a great idea to mix wet food with dry food. Personally I would drop the dry all together.
Have you thought about trying foods like Wellness canned? Growler's thread has tons of good advice on foods for CRF cats. She kept her Duffy going for a long time. :angel: Wellness is a great food for all cats. Your kitty may be reacting to something in the food he is currently eating.
Here's a good site for you to check out re foods ... www.catinfo.org

catmori
September 9th, 2010, 12:34 PM
I will check out Growlers info on that food - I hadn't heard of it before visiting this board. I'm concerned that he actually seems to prefer the dry over the wet - only giving wet to mix in the powder. Sometimes he actually seems to pick the dry out and leave the wet behind.. even when he was eating normal food. But I am willing to try anything ;)
thanks again

catmori
September 9th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I just checked out the catfoods link above and now I am totally confused. I'll have to read it in more depth tonight as it makes sense however I don't want our cat to lose weight if we transition him to wet food. He has already lost weight (which is what prompted the visit to the vet to begin with) and can't afford to lose any more. Where does one buy Wellness canned food?
thanks again

growler~GateKeeper
September 11th, 2010, 03:45 AM
When is the last meal of the day? Normally around 8 pm with the Epakitin powder mixed in.

Try giving the Epakitin earlier in the day even just a couple of hours earlier & feed just food for the last meal, try that for a few days see if there is any difference

Have you raised Geddy's food dishes up off the floor between 2-6 inches to prevent nausea while eating? Yes, I think I actually found this idea in the link you mention below :), it doesn't seem to have made a difference unfortunately

It's more for stopping/preventing nausea while the cat is eating, won't affect them after they've already eaten. It is basically to make sure the cat doesn't feel sick near while attempting to eat, therefore they don't refuse to eat because of the nausea.

Where does one buy Wellness canned food?

Store locator for Wellness: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/store-locator.aspx

Looks like the closest one is in Maple Ridge, and several in Surrey

All cats don't lose weight when switched to exclusively canned diet, however those who are overweight due to the constant munching on a high calorie dry food will start to slim down. If you find your cat is losing weight on a canned only diet you can look at increasing portion size or looking at higher protein/fat/calorie canned foods.

Love4himies
September 11th, 2010, 08:05 AM
All cats don't lose weight when switched to exclusively canned diet, however those who are overweight due to the constant munching on a high calorie dry food will start to slim down. If you find your cat is losing weight on a canned only diet you can look at increasing portion size or looking at higher protein/fat/calorie canned foods.

So true, the only one of my cats who lost weight switching from kibble to canned/raw diet was Jasper (now a perfect weight). The others have maintained their weight and my senior actually gained muscle mass.

catmori
September 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks very much to both of you - I will try that with the Epakitin and will go pick up some wellness canned food.
I really appreciate your responses and advice.

growler~GateKeeper
September 14th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Looks like Wellness has updated their store locator & there is a store in PM that carries it. :thumbs up

What you will want to look for is these flavours w/the lowest phos levels:
Wellness Grain Free Turkey
Wellness Grain Free Chicken
Wellness Grain Free Beef & Chicken
Wellness Healthy Indulgence Chicken, Duck & Shrimp
Wellness Healthy Indulgence Turkey & Duck

Some other good low phos food suggestions likely available at the same store:
By Nature Organic Turkey & Turkey Liver
By Nature Organic Chicken & Chicken Liver
By Nature Organic Turkey & Chicken
EVO 95% Chicken & Turkey -- the one w/the orange label not the purple label
Innova Adult Cat Flex Beef & Barley Stew
Holistic Select Turkey & Barley
Holistic Select Duck & Chicken
Merrick Before Grain 96% Beef
Merrick Cowboy Cookout
Merrick Before Grain 96% Turkey
Merrick Turducken
Merrick Grammy's Pot Pie
Felidae Platinum

:goodvibes:

catmori
September 15th, 2010, 11:14 AM
Wow - thanks for looking that up for me! I will be going there tonight after work to check it out.
Thanks again Growler - really appreciate it. And we've been giving him the Epakitin a bit earlier in the evening and he hasn't vomited that last couple of days (fingers crossed) :)

growler~GateKeeper
September 21st, 2010, 01:07 AM
Excellent :highfive: and :fingerscr Geddy is not a picky eater & loves lots of these flavours :goodvibes: