Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Why is my dog peeing in my house again?

Adriane1979
September 7th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I have a 8mo old Kerry blue terrior and his name is odee. I trained him to pee on the side of the house in the rocks but I have a strip of rocks aginst the house that I don't want him peeing on cuz it boarders the golf green. Well all is going ok in training I take him around the side he goes he stopped peeing in the house. Good right well he started going in the rocks by the golf green and some times all over the edge of the green so I bought the stuff keep offso he wouldn't go there now he is peeing in my house again he goes where I originally trained him but only if I go with him. Why?

Dog Dancer
September 7th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I'm sure someone will come along with a better answer, but my guess would be he's still not adult yet and testing it out. It's not uncommon for an older puppy to back slide a bit at times. You need to go back to basic puppy training again. No free access until you can trust him to behave. Tether him to you in the house so he can't wander off and pee somewhere. Take him out to his designated area as often as you can and have a huge party for him when he does his business out there. You have to start all over but it won't take so long this time. He hasn't forgotten completely. Be consistent and be patient. He's a preteen right now, the worst is yet to come...

Adriane1979
September 7th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I think he started going by the green cuz he doesn't want to leave me he doesn't leave my side if he goes around the side I have to go with him iam trying to read books on it he acts like he is afraid of everything and doesn't leave my side

Adriane1979
September 7th, 2010, 03:04 PM
We been going for walks that's supposed to help. He is afraid of sprinklers, big leaves sticking over the sidewalk, people( I think that's more excitement he wants to see them but he barks too) cars, lawn mowers ect.

Dog Dancer
September 7th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Dogs his age can be very insecure. Your job is to make him comfortable with the outside world. When he acts nervous do not baby him at all. If you are able to take him to the leaf or stick or whatever is scaring him, take him there and then touch it so he can see that you are not afraid of it, encourage him to sniff it and then praise him. It's a big world out there for him. Walk him in areas where there are trucks and try to build his confidence. When a truck is approaching get him to sit and distract him with a few commands and reward him with a small treat. Let him see that the truck will go by without eating him. Praise him for being calm, but don't react when he is nervous or you will reinforce the nervous behaviour.

As for peeing in the wrong spot, when you go out try to keep him on his leash and take him where you want him to go - always. Praise praise praise when he pee's there.

Have you taken him to any dog training classes? This will help him to learn to be more self confident when he is around other dogs and people. It will also help you to learn how to deal with him and handle him. Dog training is a wonderful way of establishing the relationship between you and your dog.