Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Anatomy

kittygirl
September 6th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Just curious - we adopted our 2 yr old dog in May. He is male and neutered. We have noticed that at times he gets two firm ball like swells on either side of his penis. They almost look like testicles but are in the wrong area. When we have noticed them - it is usually before a walk, and they are gone when we return. They do not seem to be sensitive...what is this?

BenMax
September 6th, 2010, 11:04 AM
This is an indication that he needs to pee. By 'him' holding it in you will notice this. It's absolutely normal but when you see this accumulation in this area, you will know it's time for a walk.:thumbs up

kittygirl
September 6th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Thanks! We figured that is what is must be. We have little experience with 'boy dog parts' and he is never in a hurry to pee when he does get out so it is a little hard to judge when he really 'has to go'.

BenMax
September 6th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Thanks! We figured that is what is must be. We have little experience with 'boy dog parts' and he is never in a hurry to pee when he does get out so it is a little hard to judge when he really 'has to go'.

No worries at all. There is alot of learning to do when owning a pet and you have to start somewhere. This forum will assist you in all aspects of animal rearing and there is no silly questions. Everyone tries to help everyone around here. Even seasoned animal owners learn something new all the time, as I do almost on a daily basis.

You may want to look up threads about foods. This will really shed some light on certain things as well for further knowledge. There are many threads about training and different techniques as well.

Happy reading and never feel shy about asking questions.:thumbs up

Longblades
September 6th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Just curious - we adopted our 2 yr old dog in May. He is male and neutered. We have noticed that at times he gets two firm ball like swells on either side of his penis. They almost look like testicles but are in the wrong area. When we have noticed them - it is usually before a walk, and they are gone when we return. They do not seem to be sensitive...what is this?I think what you are seeing is the swelling of the bulbous glandis. This happens when male dogs, neutered or intact, become aroused and it helps "tie" the dog to the bitch during mating. Dogs can become sort of semi aroused and this is probably what you have noticed. It may not have anything to do with needing to pee. As a matter of fact, when fully aroused with penis erect and the bulbous glandis swollen to their fullest size, which could be golf ball size in a Lab, he can't pee. Your neutered dog can tie with a bitch though.The male dog has a gland at the base of his penis - the bulbus glandis - and when the aroused male penetrates the bitch during copulation and achieves a full erection, the gland enlarges to the size of a golf ball (in a Labrador sized dog). The muscular walls of the bitch’s vagina grip the swollen bulb, so preventing the dog from withdrawing and maintaining the tie. The tie can last for just a few minutes up to an hour or so. From: http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/longlease/stud2.htm

ETA: Here's another website with explanations and picture. Don't look if you're shy. :) http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/males-swollen.html

BenMax
September 7th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I think what you are seeing is the swelling of the bulbous glandis. This happens when male dogs, neutered or intact, become aroused and it helps "tie" the dog to the bitch during mating. Dogs can become sort of semi aroused and this is probably what you have noticed. It may not have anything to do with needing to pee. As a matter of fact, when fully aroused with penis erect and the bulbous glandis swollen to their fullest size, which could be golf ball size in a Lab, he can't pee. Your neutered dog can tie with a bitch though.From: http://www.angelfire.com/anime3/longlease/stud2.htm

ETA: Here's another website with explanations and picture. Don't look if you're shy. :) http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/males-swollen.html

Indeed this is correct. It also however does happen when a dog needs to go which I think is part of the arousal process as the dog is holding it back (the feeling of peeing). How do I put this not too descriptive....hmmm.... it's like a human male that wakes up with an erection...not necessarily due to arousal but due to holding back the sensation to urinate.:o (did I do ok?):)

Longblades
September 7th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Indeed this is correct. It also however does happen when a dog needs to go which I think is part of the arousal process as the dog is holding it back (the feeling of peeing). How do I put this not too descriptive....hmmm.... it's like a human male that wakes up with an erection...not necessarily due to arousal but due to holding back the sensation to urinate.:o (did I do ok?):)Yep, ya did great. :) You and I agree, I just wanted to be sure the OP knew it isn't necessarily an indication of needing to pee. It never is with my boy. Actually, when my boy was a pup and pooping on top of a snowbank one day I noticed he was having one heck of a good time. Auto erotic pooping, who knew? :D

BenMax
September 7th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Yep, ya did great. :) You and I agree, I just wanted to be sure the OP knew it isn't necessarily an indication of needing to pee. It never is with my boy. Actually, when my boy was a pup and pooping on top of a snowbank one day I noticed he was having one heck of a good time. Auto erotic pooping, who knew? :D

Phewwww. I wasn't sure if I was getting across accurately. Tricky one.:)

kittygirl
September 7th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Ahh! :lightbulb:
This is making plenty of sense now. I didn't know neutered dogs could still tie, or would want to... So just like human males, an altered male dog has just been vascularly altered so he can't impregnate but still could be aroused?

BenMax
September 7th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Ahh! :lightbulb:
This is making plenty of sense now. I didn't know neutered dogs could still tie, or would want to... So just like human males, an altered male dog has just been vascularly altered so he can't impregnate but still could be aroused?

Yes - exactly!:thumbs up

kittygirl
September 7th, 2010, 10:42 AM
Well you learn something new everyday!
Thanks guys!

BenMax
September 7th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Well you learn something new everyday!
Thanks guys!

Indeed. Like I said, I have been working with animals for 15 years, and I still keep learning.:thumbs up