Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Poison!

WendyE
September 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM
I have recently heard (from a vet) there is an ingredient found in people food that will kill you dog quickly.....my friend cannot recall what it was, and I was wondering if you had heard? It is apparently a new thing. Thanks if anyone else has heard this and knows.:shrug:

sugarcatmom
September 6th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Could it be Xylitol that you're thinking of? http://30minvetconsult.com/blog/2009/04/09/xylitol-toxicosis/

Love4himies
September 6th, 2010, 11:01 AM
:eek: Shouldn't there be a warning on the products that use this?

WendyE
September 6th, 2010, 01:07 PM
OMG xylitol!
Thanks for the info!

cell
September 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Thanks for this heads up, my BF chews alot of sugar free gum and sometimes sticks it to plates and cups where it could fall to the floor and be eaten by Leo. I told him to watch his gum from now on!

Longblades
September 6th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Thanks for this heads up, my BF chews alot of sugar free gum and sometimes sticks it to plates and cups where it could fall to the floor and be eaten by Leo. I told him to watch his gum from now on!

Yep, my first thought was xylitol as well.

I'm sure cell is aware but just to alert anyone else reading, it could be in any product that claims to be sugar free. Yogurt comes to mind. And there is a Rescue Remedy product, which is often is used by pet people, that has xylitol in it; the candies.

My OH has that disgusting gum sticking habit too.

Koteburo
September 15th, 2010, 01:51 AM
Wow.. Thanks for this info

mastifflover
September 15th, 2010, 07:41 AM
Great to know the yogurt thing got me I used to give Bud yogurt all the time. I never buy anything sugar free. I will have to check the packages now when I buy yogurt for Clark I freeze it for treats.