Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

GSD ears, cleaning et al

oldbraincells
September 6th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Just acquired a GSD, hers ears are a tad 'yucky' . Now I have used a solution on my lab's ears for some time that has kept the lab's ears pristine (total opposite to 'yucky').

I am going to assume that GSD ears are the same as other dog ears (other than some are open, erect and others are closed or flopped) internally.

The solution I use is made up of Boric Acid, Glycerin and Rubbing Alcohol
Shaken well and either a few drops or a dampened soft cloth with gentle working and dabbing.

This should be fine for GSDs as well I assume OR is there some genetic, bio mechanical differences that I should be aware of. I will call and discuss with my vet after the holiday to get their lowdown .. the solution itself is/was approved as good to use pending normal recommended ear cleaning techniques.

Just wondering if anyone has insight in this regard.

Thanks

LittleMushroom
September 6th, 2010, 11:24 AM
I don't use any solutions to clean my GSD pup's ears, just cotton balls or kleenex, which works just fine. But if your dog's ears have foul smell, it could be an infection which needs a stronger-grade ear cleaner from the vet. You are up early for a holiday :D

BenMax
September 6th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Be careful about what you use. I would consult a vet before anything. As stated by the other poster, if this is an ear infection, you will require antibotics and a cleaning solution is not what is required. Also if this dog has ear mites, this will not help either.

oldbraincells
September 7th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Yes the boric acid, glycerin mixture is fine .. vets ok it .. just wondered regarding GSD in particular.. the above prohibits growth and fungus .. the boric acid usually throws people off..offers the value of a mild antiseptic and messes up insects exoskeleton and stomachs..glycerin (used in soaps) absorbs moisture and rubbing alcohol is the substrate for which to move the others and has antiseptic properties as well...I use a low percentage of about 70% alcohol count. Has always keep my dogs ears quite nice, clean and fresh smelling.
Maggie's has a lot of cartilage in her ear..I have just acquired her..but we will be going to see her regular vet shortly to get the lowdown.