Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Young pregnant cat needs home

badger
September 12th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Is there anyone in Montreal (I am in the east end) who would be willing to take in a very young pregnant cat? I spotted her outside an apartment building yesterday, she is still quite tame, with a big belly. The people who live there said she'd been coming around regularly, eating their garbage and that someone feeds her but not every day. One of my cats has FiV and I dare not expose her and her litter, since the virus is incurable and often fatal in kittens. If someone could take her in NOW, before she gives birth in some inaccessible place, this story could have a happy ending.

If someone was willling to provide a good temporary home, until they could all be adopted (optimistically, three or four months), that would be incredible.

badger
September 18th, 2004, 02:22 AM
Just to add to this thread. Thanks to the kindness of some cat rescue people, this little sweetie will now have a chance at a good life, as will her kittens. However...

I went over tonight and picked her up, not too difficult. She was upset for about five minutes and then settled right down. She is now in seclusion in the bathroom - hissed and spit at Badger, although he is a mild fellow and didn't put the moves on her. Otherwise, she is so relaxed it is ridiculous. She is clean, healthy, her ears are spotless; she has no scars, no oil on her back from crouching under cars, none of the flinching behaviour common to cats on the lam, purrs like ten engines. Her reaction to Badger was, to my mind pefectly normal.

So, my dilemma is...is she really a stray? The fact that people see her in the neighbourhood, digging into garbage for chicken bones, is not wearing a collar, does that necessarily mean she is homeless? And if she has a family - even though they may be irresponsible - do I have the right to kidnap her? I would have NO problem snatching animals that are clearly being abused or starved,*NONE. But she is neither. Hmmm. Take a look.

Sneaky2006
September 18th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Regardless of what's right and wrong... I would snatch her up too...
If she was lost that is one thing, but obviously the people who 'lost' her aren't looking very hard... I mean if no one you've talked to has heard anything. She may not be starved because of eating out of trash or ppl feeding her, that doesn't mean she wasn't neglected.
Think of the kitty and her babies, not of the person/people who may have lost her.
In my eyes you've done a good thing and I hope she goes to a great home!

chico2
September 18th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Badger,your bathroom must be a regular kitty-hotel :D and you are a kitty-cat saviour.
Whoever had her,obviously did not care enough to have her spayed,or keep a pregnant cat inside,so I would not worry about any owners caring if she's lost.
I wish I could help out,but she should definetly not be rummiging for food in the garbage and if you or a rescue can help her out and save the babies,that would be wonderful..
I suppose since she's not spayed,she probably is not microchipped either.
I hope you have 2 bathrooms :D

badger
September 18th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Thanks, I needed that. Who could ignore this face?

chico2
September 18th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Many can,unfortunately :( She looks like a young cat,poor girl..but now she has you :)
I am fortunate,I have not seen any stray cats,or strange cats period,around here,but I suppose a big city is different.
You make me get all mushy,thank's for what you're doing!

Lucky Rescue
September 18th, 2004, 10:32 AM
And if she has a family - even though they may be irresponsible - do I have the right to kidnap her?

YES. Anyone who would leave their intact cat outside in the city to get pregnant or killed should not have any pet and I would have NO qualms about taking her.

No doubt her story is the usual....someone took a kitten because it was "free" then thought "No way am I spending money spaying a free cat" and just opened the door when she got in heat.

I'm glad I could help get you connected with someone to care for this poor baby.:)

Good job on saving her!

badger
September 18th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks LR, the wires in my brain got crossed briefly - a not unusual occurence! - but I'm fine now. She's going to her foster home this afternoon. What a wonderful little cat - calm and affectionate,with hazel eyes that just drill through you.

I have decided to post her picture in the neighbourhood, just to inform people - perhaps the alleged 'owner' among them - that she has been taken away and cared for, and why. A little consciousness raising shall we say.

Thanks for your help.

PS The little dead cat from the alley was, indeed buried in my vegetable garden, as deep as I could go, resting on a bed of dried sweet pea plants, unwrapped, to favour a speedy transition. It was kind of hard, but a good feeling too. May all beings be happy.

Lucky Rescue
September 18th, 2004, 12:32 PM
This little girl is very lucky. Montreal has a staggering population of stray, dumped and feral cats, and there is little help for them. Most will never get a home, and will end up like the poor baby you buried. :(

When this girl has her litter, hopefully I can get pics of them all and post them on my site!

chico2
September 18th, 2004, 05:15 PM
You know,having visited Montreal a few times and always loved it,hubby buys Cd's and french books,I now feel totally different,it seems Montreal is a cats nightmare and so very sad,were it not for the few being rescued by you guys and people like Chatocat.Thank's for caring!

badger
September 18th, 2004, 06:00 PM
It's very strange, the French are bad too (with apologies to your husband, Chico, clearly he is atypical). We need better laws, but that would only touch the worse cases.

You're not going to believe this, Lizzie is barely out the front door (sniff) and another visitor knocks.. why am I so lucky?

Chatocat
September 18th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Awwww Badger, just know, she's in a good home. Monica seems to think she's only got maybe two weeks before she has the babies :) I will keep you posted on everything!!!

Your new visitor is gorgeous!!

chico2
September 18th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Badger,you got a new visitor,because you are who you are :D He looks really sweet and healthy,wonderful face!
Hubby is actually french from France,born and bred :D he at times has difficulties understanding the French-Canadian French language :D
We do however love Quebec,food,culture etc...now if they could only learn to speak French properly :D Ooops,now I am sure I'll get in trouble,no offence meant :eek:

Lucky Rescue
September 18th, 2004, 10:20 PM
My husband was Quebecois, and we butted heads many times over the treatment and attitude towards animals here. He did eventually see my point though and became much more sympathetic. The archaic attitude here is really shocking in the year 2004.

The majority of people here get dogs from bybers and petstores, don't know what a puppy mill is, and think the most convenient way of getting rid of an animal is to "give it to the farmer" which means drive it out to the country and dump it on the road.

Add to this that there are 8 cruelty investigators for the whole province, an SPCA who kills an estimated 71% of all animals brought in (and adopts the remainder out INTACT) AND no laws against cruelty or puppy mills, and you can see why animals are in great peril here. Cats, in particular, are considered to be vermin and garbage.