Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Microchipping an Indoor Cat?

MirandaJoy
September 5th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Due to where I live, my kitten will be strictly an indoor cat. I'm wondering about getting him microchipped. In the four days he's been with me, he has made no attempt to get out, so I don't think there's too much of a concern. But if he ever did get out and I couldn't find him, I would feel terrible knowing there was a way I could possibly have gotten him back and didn't do it.

How do other people with indoor cats feel about this? Is microchipping an unnecessary expense, or a worthwhile form of "insurance"? Are there any risks to microchipping?

Thank you!

14+kitties
September 5th, 2010, 12:41 PM
It is always a good idea to have cats chipped. He may not have tried to escape yet but the time may come he might. :thumbs up The only *danger* I have heard of is when the chip sometimes moves. Normally the agents or whoever checks will check over the entire body for a chip anyway.
Is the kitty fixed? If not it can be done at the same time as the neutering.

MirandaJoy
September 5th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Thank you, 14+kitties. Yes, that was my thought, that if I get him chipped, I would do it at the same time as neutering. First vet appointment is scheduled next week.

catlover2
September 5th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Both my cats are indoor cats, and I had them microchipped. You never know when they might get outside, or someone leaves a door open, or heaven forbid a tornado sweeps through and destroys your house. One windy summer day someone did not close our front door properly, and I was out in the backyard, came in and found the door wide open. One of my cats was sitting in the doorway and as soon as he saw me ran back in, my girl had gone into the shrubbery at the front of the house. So you just never know. We had a tornado sweep through Woodbridge last summer, which was south of where I live. I do know that pets that were found after the Katrina hurricane had a much better chance at being reunited with their owners that were microchipped. A collar can be removed or lost, but a chip can't.

Love4himies
September 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Yes, I am a firm believer that all pets should be microchipped and should be as routine as spaying/neutering or initial vaccines.

You just never know if you cats will get out.

Yes, there is a slim, slim, slim chance of the microchip causing cancer as with anything that is inserted into a body. You can, of course, discuss this with your vet. The chances of your cats getting euthanized at a shelter because of not being able to contact the owner is much greater.

MirandaJoy
September 5th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the answers, everybody. I'll definitely get him chipped.

krdahmer
September 5th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I've got 7 strictly indoor cats, all are microchipped and all of them also wear breakaway collars with id tags as well. You just never know....and if heaven forbid they ever get out and get lost I want whoever finds them to know that they have a home. (And my worst fear of all is losing them and never finding out what happened.)

:thumbs upgood luck at the first vet visit!:goodvibes: