Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! Vet question.

BamaRama
September 12th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Hey;

We adopted a kitten from Petsmart's animal adoption weekend yesterday, and the kitten came from Toronto Animal Services. He's cute little thing--huge buggy eyes, black and white markings.

My question is--his eye looked 'teary' when we saw him, then when we brought him home it got worse. I think he has an eye infection, along with maybe a respiratory infection, possibly..he's sneezing a lot..We are planning on taking him to the vet today, we have a vet in the family who is away so I was wondering how much would this cost to treat at a 'normal' vet? Our vet friend gives us majorly discounted prices.

Thanks!

Laura

SSAC
September 12th, 2004, 11:01 AM
It's sounds like upper respiratory Infection which is quite common in shelter kittens/cats. It needs to be "nipped in the bud" before the cat has problems breathing. Usually, IF it is URI, the vet may prescribe Clavamox (depends on the vet). The costs vary from vet to vet.

Visit $30-$50 (depending on clinic)
meds $20-$30 (depending on clinic)
This is a rough guess, don't quote me on it. Call ahead to a clinic and ask for a rough cost.

BamaRama
September 12th, 2004, 11:07 AM

sammiec
September 12th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Did they give you a complimentary vet visit when you adopted the cat? Usually they give you a free check up.
I really hope your kitty gets better, I hope it something minor and everythign will go just fine. Keep us updated!