Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How is Nanook

mastifflover
September 3rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Just looking for an update on Nanook. Hope all is well and improving :pawprint::pawprint:

hazelrunpack
September 3rd, 2010, 03:48 PM
I'll jump on the bandwagon!!! Hope he and Thorin are improving, Rgeurts!! :fingerscr

Rgeurts
September 3rd, 2010, 10:15 PM
Just looking for an update on Nanook. Hope all is well and improving :pawprint::pawprint:

Hi and thanks for asking! Last night was a bit rough. He was very, very bloated and breathing rapid and hard, and having trouble peeing. I called the vet and they said to watch him and keep checking his gums to make sure they stay nice and pink every hour or so. He was ok through the night, just a little scary when he's bloated like that. His breed and size make him very susceptible to a twisted stomach when he gets bloated. The vet said to just make sure he didn't run around and not to take him for walks etc, just try to keep him laying down and quiet. Otherwise, he's doing great!! :thumbs up

I'll jump on the bandwagon!!! Hope he and Thorin are improving, Rgeurts!! :fingerscr

We took Thorin to the vet yesterday, he was still pooing blood. She said something, can't remember what it's called, was elevated in the stool sample so she put him on metronidazole again and gave me a concoction the owner made up for tummy troubles. It's a liquid mixture of Neomycin, pepto and carob powder. We give it to him 3 times a day for 3-5 days. He hasn't had diarrhea today (he hasn't pooped at all yet :eek:) so I don't know if that's good or bad. The vet thinks it may very well be the cookies but said she isn't concerned about kidney/liver damage as it was only a couple that he ate, not long term. She said it would just cause alot of upset. He seems to feel much better today though :D

hazelrunpack
September 3rd, 2010, 10:21 PM
Was it clostridium in Thorin's stool? I think that's the one that is normal intestine fauna, but when it gets out of balance it causes 'intestinal ickiness'... (no, that's not the official medical name for it :o but it'll do :laughing:) If that's what it is then the no poopin' today is a good thing--means things are slowing down and the bowel is getting a chance to rebalance. :thumbs up

Sorry to hear Nanook is still having bloating bouts, though :( Is he a candidate for the stapling surgery where they tack the stomach in place to prevent twisted stomach? I hope he was feeling better today? :goodvibes:

Rgeurts
September 3rd, 2010, 10:27 PM
Was it clostridium in Thorin's stool?

Yes!! That's it lol, ty :o

'intestinal ickiness'

LoL, now that's a term I can understand :laughing:

If that's what it is then the no poopin' today is a good thing--means things are slowing down and the bowel is getting a chance to rebalance. :thumbs up

Oh!! Ok, good. Thank you... I wasn't sure whether to call the vet again or not :D

Sorry to hear Nanook is still having bloating bouts, though :( Is he a candidate for the stapling surgery where they tack the stomach in place to prevent twisted stomach? I hope he was feeling better today? :goodvibes:

I didn't know there was even such a thing!! None of the vets have mentioned it at all. With the amount of bloating he gets, it sure would give me piece of mind and alot more sleep!! The last time it happened it cost us just under $1200. But I'm sure a very large part of that wasn't necessary and the vet was just taking advantage of us. I'm very gullible and they know I worry about our boys.

hazelrunpack
September 3rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
That doesn't sound like an unreasonable bill for a bloat episode, Robyn. It can be tricky to treat.

I'm not sure how much the tacking surgery (sorry, my tired brain can't remember the medical term for the surgery) costs, and it won't prevent bloating, only the rotation/twisting of the stomach that can be so damaging.

Gastropexy...I think that's the name of the surgery. Worth a shot to at least ask about it, maybe. :thumbs up

Rgeurts
September 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
Well, the vet we are with now questioned alot of the tests our old vet did. She didn't seem to think it was necessary, but who knows.

I guess I wouldn't worry about the bloating so much if the chance of a twisted stomach were greatly lessened (or gone!). Bloating is bad, but we know it's mostly a build up of gas and usually goes away within a few hours. But it's during that time that's he's at a real risk of twisting and we're 40 minutes from the nearest hospital. I'm definitely going to check with the vet for that surgery. Thank you :D

chico2
September 4th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Robin,so sorry Nanook is still having trouble:(but it sounds like Thorin is doing better,I think you really need a break right now and for those puppers not to worry you anymore:pray:

Rgeurts
September 5th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Robin,so sorry Nanook is still having trouble:(but it sounds like Thorin is doing better,I think you really need a break right now and for those puppers not to worry you anymore:pray:

That would be wonderful, it would mean they were both doing well lol. Hopefully we will see an end to the problems soon. Poor lil nookie monster has been battling all of this for almost 4 months now, and I don't think I've gotten more than 4 hours of sleep at one time since it started. Hubby was awesome though and let me sleep in until 10 am this morn, I was soooo happy! Yay for wonderful hubbies :angel2::lovestruck:

I'm sure the worst is over. It's just getting his gut balanced now that is the biggest challenge. I'm seriously going to consider gastropexy for nookie. It won't solve the reason for the bloat, but at least I will be able to sleep knowing he isn't going to twist his stomach because of it :)

LittleMushroom
September 5th, 2010, 08:08 PM
:grouphug: hope your family life will get back to normal soon :) bloat can be dangerous, if he gets bloat that often, surgery might be a good answer. and what a great owner you are :)