Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

BSL - An example of why it's so popular!

Writing4Fun
September 12th, 2004, 04:45 AM
Hubby was out last night visiting a buddy. There were a bunch of people at the house, including a woman with her Pittie. This woman was apparently going for the "tough broad" look - all black leather and scowls (and not in a "good" way), the dog in several choke & prong collars, and a leather studded one for good measure. Anyhow, she was all proud because the Pittie was putting on a fantastic display of killing a soccer ball. At one point, she picked up the now quite dead ball and had the Pittie hanging off the other end, growling and shaking its head, and was twirling it around her in circles. Folks began to herd their children back into the cars with polite farewells to the host and terrified glances back at the dangling Pittie. My personal opinion - don't ban the breed - ban people like this from owning one! She singlehandedly convinced a couple dozen people in a matter of minutes that the ban is a great idea. What a nimrod! :mad:

Sorry, had to get that one off my chest.

LavenderRott
September 12th, 2004, 08:36 AM
My beagle mix kills balls regularly and we can swing her in circles from her stuffies. Guess that makes my dog tough too.

Writing4Fun
September 12th, 2004, 09:48 AM
Isn't it funny though? You swing your beagle mix from a dead ball and everyone thinks it's cute. I've seen flyball dogs being swung by their favorite toys, and it's cute. Swing a Pittie, though, and suddenly it's a lunatic and will most certainly turn on its owner one day (sarcasm, folks). :rolleyes: I'm sure all the spike and prong collars this person insists on putting on her dog don't help people's perceptions either.

Luba
September 12th, 2004, 03:18 PM
The only thing that really p's me off is when I see jerkoffs getting pits and other breeds to hang from tree branches.

HELLO!! It's a TREE did you ever think that branch looked good there before you walked into the park/school yard.

Then the dorks that use the kids swings for the same thing. Mangles the swing seats all the time...countless of them just torn to shreds.

Purpose other then to fulfill their stupid egos? Dorks! Yes this is the sort of thing that irritates people and allows their views to be skewed.

Mistruzzi
September 12th, 2004, 08:37 PM
I agree that there is a minority of loser pit bull owners that ruin it for the rest of us. The problem with banning the breed is that the loser person is still alive and will go out and get another breed of dog to ruin. Also the minority of loser owners are the ones that make it into the papers and give pit bulls their bad rap.

Writing4Fun
September 12th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Exactly! Now if only we could get our elected officials to read these posts! :D

Mistruzzi
September 13th, 2004, 12:24 AM
There is a poll online to vote for or against the ban of American Pit Bull Terriers http://www.niagaracommunitynewspapers.com/webapp/sitepages

Sneaky2006
September 13th, 2004, 08:25 AM
I am so torn with this Pit Bull banning issue. I haven't really said anything on these types of threads before, for fear of things I say not coming out right and taken the wrong way.
I am NOT for banning of this breed, but I keep thinking there's got to be a way for them to be banned with certain people (in a perfect world right?)
Most people in my town do not have Pit Bulls for the right reasons and sometimes I think it would be better if they were banned here because of that. For the breeds sake!
I live in a very large city and across town where my mom lives is very horrible neighborhoods. Gang types, drug dealers. On the way to visit my mother I see at least 5 different Pitties each time. Now I see one of three things, females with very large nipples which means she just had pups (most likely) or others that have their necks full of leather studded collars, or the dogs that are just alone in a backyard with very little human contact. I know there's PB fighting going on and it makes me sick.
I guess I'm just saying that I wish there was a way for them to be banned so some people couldn't have them... does that make sense?

moontamara
September 13th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Yes, it does, Sneaky. I understand what you mean!

LavenderRott
September 13th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Sneaky,

I understand exactly what you are saying. That is why it is so important to hold dog owners responsible for their dogs. Laws with more bite and stiffer penalties. Laws that make it easier to identify and confiscate dogs used for fighting.

I don't know all of the answers. Really, I don't. I do know that there are so many dog bites by non-pit bull type dogs that go unreported to the authorities and unreported by the media. I also know that the criminal element is not going away either. Those people will just look for another breed that is big and tough to move to. Then what do you do? Add another breed to the list of banned dogs? When does it stop?

In Italy, there are 92 breeds on the restricted list. Among them are herding dogs such as collies and corgis. All dogs on the restricted list can not be out in public without a muzzle. Can you picture a corgi with a muzzle on it? When does it end?

Writing4Fun
September 13th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Sneaky, you are 100% right! It's the "bad element" that is causing these issues (the woman in my story wasn't a gang member, but she wasn't a fine, upstanding citizen either :rolleyes: ). They are breeding irrisponsibly and specifically for a vicious temperment. When a criminal of this type (drugs, gangs, etc...) is apprehended, they should be charged for their crime and also receive an additional lifetime ban on ever owning an animal. No, it won't stop them (no more than charging them for dealing will stop them from dealing again in future). But at least it will give the police one more weapon against them.

How to positively identify dogs? Make microchipping mandatory for all dogs, regardless of breed or cross. That way, when a dog bites someone or attacks another pet, the authorities know exactly which dog it is and can track the owner. Very easy to equip police cars with scanners, and then load their computers with the ID numbers belonging to offending animals.

I'm glad to hear that the laws in Italy only call for muzzling and not euthanasia of restricted breeds (I was concerned when I first heard of this list and the number of breeds on it). OK, it's not a perfect solution, but at least the owners aren't losing their pets, and within the home the dogs still live a full life with their families.

Where does the banning stop? I think Italy's example is clear enough - it doesn't! And since our officials in their infinite wisdom are talking about outright bans instead of restrictions like muzzling, then it will only end when domestic dogs as a species are banned entirely. Because guess what folks! All breeds are capable of biting!

chico2
September 13th, 2004, 09:40 AM
Sneaky,I understand how you feel,but that is exactly the dilemma for pit-bulls.
How do you weed out the bad owners from the good???
Bad owners don't really care if their dog is put down,they'll just go onto another breed and there are lots of them out there.
I've seen a very tall Husky ,being kept on a short leash because of aggression towards other dogs,attacking an elderly Rottie....but this Husky saved the owner from a house-fire.The owner is a petite woman,she can hardly hold on to her dog when walking him,I'd say he needs a muzzle!!
The only solution would be,if you have an aggressive dog,a muzzle is a must and very high fines for any injury,maybe even jail-time for bad owners.
That way,good owners can be left to enjoy their dogs,not be punished for other owners bad deeds.

Luba
September 13th, 2004, 12:34 PM
I think it would be so much easier if we just banned the goofball type owners.

What you think? Maybe we can send that suggestion to the A.G/s office? :p