Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Tegan's first stuffies

Tundra_Queen
September 2nd, 2010, 10:26 PM
Hi

Tegan is our 8 year old yellow lab and is hub's Seeing Eye dog. She has never had stuffies before only bones. But since I have been on this forum and seen all the fun other dogs have with stuffies I finally broke down and gave her one.

She wasn't sure what to do with as seeing eye dogs are taught not to chew things, but after a few months of trying to get her to know it is ok she seems to have gotten the idea...:laughing: And the ones she likes best are the ones that squeak! :laughing:

I actually put the duck on the clothes hamper and when we went back upstairsshe carefully, trying not to be noticed, pulled the duck off the hamper. It took her 4 sneaky pulls before she got it. It was so cute! LOL

I had bought Mindy some ducks after Easter but Mindy doesn't like them, she is afraid of the squeaking. I finally got Tegan to realize they are fun,,,by telling her to make the toy talk. Now she makes it squeak all the time. LOL

I bought her a pink hippo on Tuesday that also squeaks and it's very long and she loves it! I finally got pics of it tonight. LOL

I will try and get more pics of her other stuffies later.

Debbie

luckypenny
September 2nd, 2010, 11:25 PM
You wouldn't happen to have a video function on your camera, would you TQ :goodvibes:? So glad the stuffies are a hit with Tegan!

14+kitties
September 2nd, 2010, 11:42 PM
Aww sweet Tegan! :cloud9: I love that she is finally learning to play a little!

Tundra_Queen
September 3rd, 2010, 12:48 AM
LP...someone else asked me that awhile ago. I think I do have a video thingy on my camera, but in the 8 years I have owned it I have never used it. LOL

14+ Tegan plays with balls and stuff like that, bones etc. I throw her bone around the house or outside and she fetches it. But never ever something soft like a stuffie that she could rip apart and that squeaks! LOL She was throwing that hippo all around the dining room backwards. I had to pick up my coffee cup cause she was shaking it all around and I didn't want her to send my coffee flying thru the air with the hippo. :laughing:

Frenchy
September 3rd, 2010, 10:42 AM
That is so cute TQ , I'm glad Tegan now knows the joy of stuffies ! :thumbs up

Love4himies
September 3rd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Awwww, I am so happy for Teagan :lovestruck:. I know working dogs have such an important role in our society so it is nice when they are able to also have some fun too. :cloud9:

Dog Dancer
September 3rd, 2010, 12:00 PM
That's so cute. Tegan certainly deserves a stuffie! I love it when they throw their toys around, yes coffee cups are an endangered species during that time, but it's well worth it. My Halo does the same thing. Tegan is beautiful by the way. I so love service dogs :cloud9: - I want to hug them all to pieces and then cruelly we're not allowed. Of course I guess if I got to know someone with a service dog and visited when the dog was "off duty" I could hug it.

Tundra_Queen
September 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
:laughing:This is Tegan's fav stuffie this afternoon....

Tundra_Queen
September 3rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
she has had this ham bone for quite a few months but only started to play with the past couple of days. LOL

hazelrunpack
September 3rd, 2010, 04:43 PM
A squeaky ham bone stuffy? :eek: :laughing: I've never seen such a thing!! What a hoot!!! :laugh:

I'm glad Tegan is enjoying her stuffies!! She's such a good girl and she deserves sumthin' special! :D Maybe she'll be able to teach Mindy about the joys of squeaking, too. :fingerscr (Poor you! :p)

Tundra_Queen
September 3rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
That is so cute TQ , I'm glad Tegan now knows the joy of stuffies ! :thumbs up

Frenchy, it was me seeing your pics and your stories of how much Jack and your crew love their stuffies that made me start giving them to her. LOL

Awwww, I am so happy for Teagan :lovestruck:. I know working dogs have such an important role in our society so it is nice when they are able to also have some fun too. :cloud9:

L4H I'm glad she is learning what to do with stuffies. She has a whole bunch of toys but only ever wanted to play with her big bones...now it's her stuffies! So I can buy her more now!:laughing:

That's so cute. Tegan certainly deserves a stuffie! I love it when they throw their toys around, yes coffee cups are an endangered species during that time, but it's well worth it. My Halo does the same thing. Tegan is beautiful by the way. I so love service dogs :cloud9: - I want to hug them all to pieces and then cruelly we're not allowed. Of course I guess if I got to know someone with a service dog and visited when the dog was "off duty" I could hug it.

DD..hubs allows people to pet her when she's working as we live in a small town. I didn't allow people to pet mine, but I was living in Toronto at the time and travelling by subway and buses every day soneeded Poker to pay attention and not be distracted.

chico2
September 3rd, 2010, 04:55 PM
It's so nice to see Tegan playing,I wish I could teach Bailey to play with toys:dog:

Tundra_Queen
September 3rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
chico, I'm still trying to teach Mindy to play with toys.

Dog Dancer
September 4th, 2010, 12:04 AM
That's nice that hubby can permit people to get to know Tegan. I think it can help them to better understand as well. That said I can certainly understand why (like yourself in Toronto) it's important not to distract a seeing eye dog. I'd never have the nerve to ask someone to let me pet their service dog while it was working. I just have so much respect for the people who train them and then the jobs the dogs do. Mine are such couch potatoes (although I guess I should call them floor potatoes as they're not allowed on the couch) it's almost embarassing :o

Tundra_Queen
September 4th, 2010, 07:41 AM
DD...truth be told...I don't think hubs could stop Tegan from visiting with people if he tried! :laughing: She's not the best working dog he has had, but that is because this time he didn't go to Seeing Eye to train and neither did Tegan. So I think she didn't get as good as training as she would of had if she'd been at Seeing Eye. :D But she is a nice dog. And I just think well hubs hasn't gotten hit by a car so she must be doing an ok job. *touch wood* :D

TeriM
September 7th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Awww those pics are so sweet TQ :lovestruck:,:lovestruck: I'm glad Tegan is learning to love her toys and playing :lovestruck:.

Rgeurts
September 7th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Awww!! Those pics are just too cute!! Tegan is such a beautiful, sweet girl :lovestruck::cloud9:
That stuffie is like Thorins! He has an orange one(it's a witch-the one in the pic I posted a couple days ago) and it's one of his favs :D

Tundra_Queen
September 7th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Rgeurts I thought Tegan's was like Thorins. Tegan's is a hippo. I got hers at Walmart.

rainbow
September 17th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Hi
Tegan is our 8 year old yellow lab and is hub's Seeing Eye dog. She has never had stuffies before only bones. But since I have been on this forum and seen all the fun other dogs have with stuffies I finally broke down and gave her one.

Well I'm glad you joined the forum cuz every dog deserves a stuffie. :thumbs up

Cute pics :lovestruck: and, I must say, Tegan is ever so gentle with them. :cloud9: