Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chance's Nose

bobbonez
September 2nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hey everybody,

Brand new member here. About a month and a half ago me and my girlfriend were given a dgo about 7-10 years old. His name is Chance and he is a miniature doberman pincher. About a day or 2 after we got him of course he had to go and pee in the house. Of course i rubbed his nose in it and smacked him a little, he hasn't done it since. A day or two after he got off his chain and was gone all night, we found him in the morning at his previous owner house, OF COURSE THAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. A day or two after that we noticed that his nose was slightly swollen and starting to get dry. Since then it has progressivly been getting worse. His nose is now running and crusting with bits of hair and fuzzies getting stuck in the dry snot/fluid not sure if its snot of just discharge. He has been sneezing ALOT. He is having a hard time eating, not that he doesn't want to eat, it just seems like it hurts to chew. he has some sores or the side and a little bit of discoloration. He is pawing at his nose and im really starting to get worried.

I read about Mojo's dog and it sounde very simaler but her dog has craters and she didn't mention the sneezing. I'll attach some pictures to go along with this (good thing i bought a camera recenlty) . I LOVE dogs but am not am not very knowledgeable.

bobbonez
September 2nd, 2010, 07:36 PM
And sorry everybody i should have read the stickys before i posted this. just so everybody knows I am planning on taking Chance to the vet on tuseday. I would have taken him earlier but there was a death in the family and we have been a little strapped for cash of late earlier, STUPID VACATION PAY GETING MESSED UP!

Dog Dancer
September 3rd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Sorry I have no advice for you other than getting Chance to a vet asap. Thank you for taking in an older dog. That said, when he went pee in the house he was probably just under a lot of stress. You rubbing his nose in the pee did not help at all, and hitting him certainly didn't help. You're just going to make him afraid of you. Dogs will respond far better to positive reinforcement of any action than negative. It sounds like it was probably a one off accident due to the changes in his life, and you rubbing his nose in his pee was not likely the factor that made it stop. Please, please don't do that again. If you catch him peeing in the house give him a loud sharp NO and take him outside until he pee's again and then praise the stink out of him. But at his age, I doubt you'll have any major issues again. Until he gets more senior and becomes incontinent and I would hate to think of you rubbing his nose in it then! Good luck at the vet, it must be very painful for Chance if he's having trouble eating. (Just for your peace of mind, it probably has nothing to do with rubbing his nose in the pee, but I could be wrong.)

bobbonez
September 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Well thanks for trying. Just so you know I dont hit him hard just hard enough that he knows not to do it again. And i agree that he was probably just a little bit scared and stressed from being in a new home. If anyone else can name or help me with whats wrong with him before i go to the vet that would be greatly appreciated.

mastifflover
September 3rd, 2010, 02:24 PM
Are you using plastic dishes if so switch to ceramic or metal I prefer ceramic the plastic can be irritating and they tend to hold bacteria in them. Before you punish for peeing inside better to praise when he is good this is a big change for him

hazelrunpack
September 3rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
It looks like he may have an infection, bobbonez! I do hope you can get him in before Tuesday--if it's something like folliculitis, it's going to get much worse before then.

Please keep us posted on his progress! I hope he's better soon!!! :goodvibes:

bobbonez
September 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
Are you using plastic dishes if so switch to ceramic or metal I prefer ceramic the plastic can be irritating and they tend to hold bacteria in them. Before you punish for peeing inside better to praise when he is good this is a big change for him

When it first started we were looking up what could be wrong with him and one thing we found was that plastic dishes are bad for dogs to drink out of. We have switched from the plastic margerine container to a metal bowl now this was just recent that we switched but we have no seen no change yet :(

bobbonez
September 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
also im not sure but if dogs are ANYTHING like humans when they get infections they would get swollen glands under their chin/neck and i have found large lumps on both sides.

bobbonez
September 9th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Well we took Chance to the vet on tuseday, he took some samples and gave us some anti-biotics and anti-inflamitories. We started giving them to him tuseday night and already his nose looks better. I still have to call the vet tomorrow to get the results of the samples but everything seems ok for now!

Thanks everybody for all your help and support.
BobBonez

hazelrunpack
September 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Quick recovery for Chance! :goodvibes:

mastifflover
September 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I am sure you are going to get good news positive vibes coming your way