Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Am Staff given new lease on life....

Luvmypitgirls
September 1st, 2010, 10:01 AM
A few weeks back an Am Staff in Calgary was apprehended by City Bylaw, in response to the fact that he bit three people in a home, where the occupants (family) were fighting amongst themselves.
The dog was subjected to testing and was deemed not a danger to the public.
When will ppl learn that fighting infront of a dog is really no different than fighting infront of a child, it upsets them and they are either going to flee or try to intervene.
Thank you to the City of Calgary for not just "killing" him because of what he is and for taking the time, spending the resources and understanding that the issue at hand was not the dogs fault.

BenMax
September 1st, 2010, 10:02 AM
Calgary is really putting themselves on the map. Hats off to their common sense and treating ALL breeds the same without discrimination.:thumbs up

Dog Dancer
September 1st, 2010, 11:27 AM
That's great news. :thumbs up for Calgary. I know when my hubby raises his voice (even at the TV) our older girl Shadow gets so upset. I have to tell hubby to settle down (like during hockey season) because he's upsetting the dogs. They are much more sensitive than so many people think.

mastifflover
September 1st, 2010, 11:31 AM
Wow I love that a city with brains Hats off to those who think, unlike the city of Toronto

cassiek
September 1st, 2010, 06:55 PM
A few weeks back an Am Staff in Calgary was apprehended by City Bylaw, in response to the fact that he bit three people in a home, where the occupants (family) were fighting amongst themselves.
The dog was subjected to testing and was deemed not a danger to the public.
When will ppl learn that fighting infront of a dog is really no different than fighting infront of a child, it upsets them and they are either going to flee or try to intervene.
Thank you to the City of Calgary for not just "killing" him because of what he is and for taking the time, spending the resources and understanding that the issue at hand was not the dogs fault.

I read about this in the paper, LMPG. Did you hear what ever happened to the dog? Was he returned to the original owners or put up for adoption?

Love4himies
September 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM
Thanks for sharing that story :thumbs up, I hope Calgary's model on how to treat pets and strays starts getting out to other municipalities. :pray:

Luvmypitgirls
September 1st, 2010, 10:00 PM
I read about this in the paper, LMPG. Did you hear what ever happened to the dog? Was he returned to the original owners or put up for adoption?

He was actually adopted out to another family member of the family in question, but one that has experience with the breed and is willing to do whatever the City of Calgary Bylaw requests, like obedience classes, socialization, and to prevent the dog from ever being put in a situation like his previous owner put him.
According to the City, this person has proven themselves to be responsible and trustworthy.

14+kitties
September 1st, 2010, 10:46 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the gentleman running the OSPCA in Calgary has a Pit of his own? May be mistaken on that. He is an amazing man. I think he follows some of the thoughts in Nathan Wingard's No Kill Nation. The world needs more like him. :thumbs up

cassiek
September 2nd, 2010, 01:16 AM
He was actually adopted out to another family member of the family in question, but one that has experience with the breed and is willing to do whatever the City of Calgary Bylaw requests, like obedience classes, socialization, and to prevent the dog from ever being put in a situation like his previous owner put him.
According to the City, this person has proven themselves to be responsible and trustworthy.

That is wonderful news! :thumbs up

mastifflover
September 2nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
I am so glad this dog found a good home and a responsible owner Kudos for him for stepping up

Luvmypitgirls
September 2nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
I thought I read somewhere that the gentleman running the OSPCA in Calgary has a Pit of his own? May be mistaken on that. He is an amazing man. I think he follows some of the thoughts in Nathan Wingard's No Kill Nation. The world needs more like him. :thumbs up

Bill Bruce the head of Calgary Bylaw, is an amazing man. A true Pitbull Advocate. At one time the City of Calgary had a "Pitbull" working for them named Sampson. I believe he is retired now.
He believes in Punish the Deed not the Breed.

chico2
September 2nd, 2010, 04:41 PM
LMPG,What a great story:thumbs upI wish our McGuinty clowns would take a lesson from Calgary and scrap BSL,but it will never happen:(

Chris21711
September 3rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
Bill Bruce the head of Calgary Bylaw, is an amazing man. A true Pitbull Advocate.

He is helping the Toronto Humane Society re-establish their identity :thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
September 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM
He is helping the Toronto Humane Society re-establish their identity :thumbs up

I remember when they interviewed him about the Toronto humane society and he was neither happy or impressed. So if he's reaching out to help them and make sure things are done better than I'm all for it.

Etown_Chick
September 19th, 2010, 03:02 PM
THanks for the update on the Cgy Staffy. They are one of my all-time favorite breeds.