Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

chronic Diarrhea

cpietra16
August 31st, 2010, 09:01 PM
Tigger has been "guessed" but not confirmed that she has mammary cancer. I say this because according to the vet, there really is nothing to do, if it was malignant . Anyway, Does anyone know if there is a link between the cancer and her bowel movements which are pure liquid.
She has not been loosing weight, still eats very well, still playful, no known allergies (She is off chicken completely because I thought that chicken may have caused the problem)the sample taken in came back...fine...but she always has diarrhea on the carpet.
By the way, she has had diarrhea for a long time...I can't figure out why???
Thanks

luckypenny
August 31st, 2010, 09:54 PM
How long is a "long time"? Don't know if there's a correlation between the cancer and the diarrhea but, Toby who had cancer had diarrhea the whole time he was with us. The vet was certain it was related.

Have you tried changing her diet altogether? Hoping the cancer is not malignant :fingerscr :grouphug:.

cpietra16
August 31st, 2010, 10:27 PM
Hi LP, I have changed the diet a while back and experimented with new diet including raw....but nothing changed. She had diarrhea for a few years now...

luckypenny
August 31st, 2010, 10:31 PM
Always diarrhea? Or have there been times when the consistency is normal or almost normal?

Oh, and can you see undigested food in it? Any blood? Mucus? If she's had this for so long, it sounds like IBD or something similar.

cpietra16
August 31st, 2010, 10:36 PM
unfortunately the consistency only changes slightly, but very slightly. The vets thinks its food...but I have tried every kind of food out there....no change. She does not have any parasites either...so..:shrug: there is never blood, or mucus, or discoloration of any kind

luckypenny
August 31st, 2010, 10:44 PM
Have you ever tried digestive enzymes? I'm wondering if Tigger has a difficult time digesting any food. When you tried raw, do you remember how you went about it? How long did you feed it? It can be normal to have runny stools at first but, usually within a week, it tends to normalize. Did you include bone in her diet? Feed raw alone or feed other meals of regular cat food?

cpietra16
August 31st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Everytime I changed food I gave them a month to see what would happen. But I have never tried enzymes. Are they like probiotics?

luckypenny
August 31st, 2010, 10:58 PM
Enzymes help break down/pre-digest food while pro-biotics are a beneficial bacteria. They aren't the same. Here's an article that describes a bit of both. http://www.truhealth.com/EnzymesvsProbiotics.htm.

When you fed raw, was it home prepared or did you buy the pre-made raw?

cpietra16
September 1st, 2010, 07:51 AM
Well, unfortunately, the raw was store bought. I would love to have time to make my own, but with three kids, single mom, work, school, yada yada yada, you've have all been there or at least heard me talk about it.....I just don;t have the time or energy to make my own.

LP, thanks for the article. I will try enzymes.

Love4himies
September 1st, 2010, 08:01 AM
My coworker has the same problem with her cat. She now has to keep him on a raw diet, no chicken or pork. She purchases the premade additives and it works well for her cat. He can't eat any commercial cat food. At one time he caught most of his own food (mice, chippies and baby bunnies :() and didn't have a problem until his older years when he didn't go outside as much. Bone will bulk up the stool a bit so even if you could add a bit of bone somehow :shrug:. It did take a couple of months for his stool to become firmer.

http://rawmeatcatfood.com/

Both her and her hubby are vegetarians so making raw food from scratch wasn't something they wanted to do and this was their best option.

There is another member on this board who has the same problem with her cat. It took 6 months or so, I believe of a raw diet to get him/her to firm up.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=66040

cpietra16
September 1st, 2010, 09:07 AM
well I will try anything...actually I think I tried everything. The problem with Tigger is that she never gets close enough for me to touch her, and so I can;t really isolate her from the other cats. So whatever she eats, the other will have to eat as well, not that raw foo dis terrible. My cats are on raw, although bought raw.
With so many cats, it took me a while to realize which one had the stool problem...process of elimination, Tigger has had the runs for a long time. But you are right L4H, I should give it more time before I see the difference...and since my carpet is destroyed, I have nothing else to lose..except my landlord will definitely freak out when he sees the mess....which I have washed over and over..:yell::frustrated::yuck:

Love4himies
September 1st, 2010, 09:31 AM
I feel your pain :grouphug:, it is very difficult with so many cats to isolate one, or to keep their food separate. My problem isn't diarrhea, it is keeping Sweet Pea away from the food so Jasper and Puddles can eat:(

My coworker has 2 cats, both are mousers, so changing their diet to raw was an easy task for her.

She buys ground beef, mixes the additives, freezes enough for a month in small daily size bags. It is actually cheaper than canned food and much cheaper than prepared raw.

cpietra16
September 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM
L4H, I know its much cheaper and I have thought about it many time. I started at one point to make my own, but then I ran out of time. I hate to admit it, but I have sort of put the cats on a back burner...so to speak, since my husband left and with 3 kids under 13, work and school, I don't know how to keep up the energy and time to make the food...I feel like I have neglected them compared to what they use to have from me...but I hope its only temporary and they do still sleep with me and they all get their cuddles...so:shrug: