Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chewing

TanNeeko
August 31st, 2010, 03:48 PM
well my young man in the last week and a half doesnt stop chewing. Am pretty consistent and he knows he isnt suppose to do it. If I catch him with something he is not suppose to have He drops it and runs away from it. Any Ideas on how I can get him Not to sneak & chew?

Dog Dancer
August 31st, 2010, 04:41 PM
My dogs are both seriously older now, so I may not be the best person for this, but here's my ideas. If your pup drops something praise him immediately. If he has something, offer him something of much higher value and then praise him for taking it. Oh, and the most obvious thing here would be to puppy-proof your house. Remove anything he can steal to chew on. Is he teething yet?? That could be part of why he is chewing things he shouldn't, but really he's very young right now and won't be reliable yet. If he's teething make sure he has lots of kong type toys that can withstand chewing and also soak a kitchen rag in water and wring it out some then freeze it. Give it to him to chew later on. Good luck to you. Chewing is a tough thing. Someone else will be along who I'm sure will be more helpful.

TanNeeko
August 31st, 2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks, Could be teething, never thought of that (duh) I have those moments. :laughing: He has toys, and he will play with them. But he has started sealing the shoes and I have puppy proofed (or so I thought) But Kneeko seems to find anylittle thing, plus my bottom cupboards dont close very good and he sneaks in there.

breeze
August 31st, 2010, 04:58 PM
But he has started sealing the shoes and I have puppy proofed (or so I thought) But Kneeko seems to find anylittle thing, plus my bottom cupboards dont close very good and he sneaks in there.

put the shoes away up high if you have to and replace them with something he can chew on kongs bones ( supervised of course)and praise praise praise when he chews on what he is suppose to chew on..:thumbs up

you can also get baby proof locks for the cupboards that don't close properly.or put a box brick anything heavy that he can't move in front of the cupboards.:thumbs up

the other thing is that if you give him a cold frozen cloth please make sure that he is well supervised as this could cause chocking or blockage if swallowed :thumbs up

Dog Dancer
September 1st, 2010, 10:25 AM
Good point about the cold cloth Breeze, I should have thought of that. I forgot to add that if you get him a kong you can stuff it with dog treats and peanut butter and such and freeze it. It will take him a while to get all the goodies out and give him a good chew in the meanwhile.

Is your pup crate trained?? That also helps with young dogs when you have to leave them unsupervised. If he's not crate trained you can search these forums for info on how to do it properly so as not to make it a bad experience.

TanNeeko
September 1st, 2010, 01:57 PM
Yes He is crate trained and does great in crate, really enjoys it and most times the crate is open for him. and he will go in and sleep and have quiet time on his own. he is a good pup and as I said certain things he knows he is not allowed and as soon as he sees me he drops whatever it is and leaves it. But these are awsome tips and we will try them and see how it goes....will keep you posted