Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Depression

SueBergstrom
August 31st, 2010, 04:30 PM
One of my cats had a infection and spent two days at the hospital. When I took him home the other cat didn't want anything to do with him. He spent to days in the basement. Now he is upstair but just lays around and won't do anything. He is eating very little. Won't eat treats or special food. And he won't go near his brother who is recovering from a infection. He will only sit on my lap for a minute than hops back down. This has been going on for four days. He was fine before his brother got sick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sue

14+kitties
August 31st, 2010, 04:44 PM
Have you tried putting baby powder in your palms, rubbing them together, and then rubbing the cats so they both smell the same? You can also use a dab of vanilla under the chin on both or a washcloth rubbed on one, then on the other. When cats come back from the vet they don't smell the same. Seeing as cats "recognize" more so by smell than by sight this may help. :goodvibes:

SueBergstrom
August 31st, 2010, 08:10 PM
No, I haven't tried that. Thank you for the suggestion. I will try it.

Sue

sugarcatmom
September 1st, 2010, 08:23 AM
He is eating very little. Won't eat treats or special food.

This is a problem. You MUST get your cat eating, whatever it takes. Plain meat baby food (no onions!), lightly cooked chicken, stinky sardines or canned food with parmesan cheese....etc. Anorexia in cats can very quickly result in fatty liver disease and can be deadly (and very expensive to treat). If you can't get your cat eating enough today, please take him to the vet for an exam and possibly appetite stimulants. Considering it's already been 4 days, this is becoming serious.

More tips to encourage your kitty to eat: http://www.assistfeed.com/Enticing.htm

Ozzie
September 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM
Freeze dried liver [ dog treats] should get his appetite going again. :)

SueBergstrom
September 1st, 2010, 09:22 PM
Thank you for all your suggestions. He ate a small amount of moist cat food for breakfast and a little tuna this afternoon. He only hissed at the sick cat once today. I think he is slowly adjusting.

catlover2
September 1st, 2010, 10:41 PM
You might try him on those little cans of "Fancy Feast". It's really like kitty crack. Most cats rarely turn their nose up at that stuff, I dunno must have enhanced flavour or something. Give him some extra loving and attention, and if he likes to be groomed do that too.

SueBergstrom
September 7th, 2010, 08:14 PM
The cat with the infection is feeling much better. His brother is eating and back to normal. Thank you for all your suggestions. I have a happy home again.