Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cats drinking lots

kitteh
August 30th, 2010, 06:26 PM
do you think it's simply the summer and the heat or should i be concerned that my cats are drinking a lot of water? it's quite a noticeable difference too - like, they're drinking all the water in their bowl (or the water is being dumped over) AND meowing in the middle of the night for me to turn on the water in the bathroom in my room.
:shrug:

catlover2
August 30th, 2010, 06:41 PM
How much is too much? Depends...how many cats do you have, what are their ages, how big is the water bowl (in cups of water)? When did it start---with the hot weather? Are they indoor, outdoor, or indoor/outdoor cats? Do you have other animals (like dogs) that may also be drinking from same bowl? Can't help without more specifics. Generally speaking, if a cat is making many trips to the water bowl and drinking a lot and peeing a lot, it's not a good sign and should be check out by a vet as this may be symptom of kidney disease or Chronic Renal Failure.

the gang
August 30th, 2010, 06:59 PM
just a thought, bring in a urine specamine

Ozzie
August 30th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Are they on dry food? Wet is better.:)

Love4himies
August 31st, 2010, 07:05 AM
Cats are notorious for hiding pain and illness, so even though they don't seem sick, they may be. Any changes in their habits usually means a trip to the vet to have some blood work and a urinalysis.

Good luck.

kitteh
August 31st, 2010, 06:33 PM
I have 5 cats (no dogs) and I wouldn't say anything is wrong per se, I just notice that they're congregating around the water bowl/water tap more often. It's been like this since before the summer. Our big orange cat has always been a big drinker and a big pee'er. We have clumping cat litter and I can always tell which one was maynard b/c it's bigger than the scoop!
They're all indoor cats and eat Iams cat food (dry).

Thanks for any input!

14+kitties
August 31st, 2010, 06:57 PM
Check out www.catinfo.org It will open your eyes to dry/wet foods and why cats should never eat dry. Iams is involved presently in another recall. Not sure if the food you feed is included but may be worth a look. Cats that eat dry food are basically always dehydrated. They need their moisture with their food. Not beside it. A cat that is seen drinking water is already 10 to 15% dehydrated.