Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

OLA! from Portugal

Nebelparder
August 29th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Boa tarde!

English is not my mother tongue, it's actually German, and I like to talk to "animal-people" in all the parts of the world.
We live on a farm in southern Portugal, together with quite a number of all kinds of animals. I enjoy making video-clips about this our life with nature, and I think the best way of introducing was showing a brand new clip made just yesterday.

And here we go - just click: Lambs and other Little Ones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn9LeGR4Wiw)

- For prime quality watch full screen and HD (720p) -

Cumprimentos!

Nebelparder

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Welcome to the board, Nebelparder!

Cute video! :D Your dogs are so tolerant with the animals!! :lovestruck: Especially the new-borns!! Do you have a large flock of sheep for them to watch over?

Nebelparder
August 29th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Boa noite, hazlerunpack

Thanks for that welcome. We haven't got a flock of sheeps yet. It's just those two little ones as seen in the clip. But we'll be getting more soon, from the sheperds around. If a mother sheep is giving birth to two kiddens, one of them will be given away, for there's only enough milk for one.

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2010, 06:27 PM
How did your dogs get so accustomed to the lambs? They're so gentle with them!!! Almost like they think they're pups. :D Is that an instinct of the breed?

Nebelparder
August 29th, 2010, 07:05 PM
They just got accustomed naturally, without any effort. I guess that's because they are used living together with all kinds of animals on our farm. Though I was surprised about the easy way the mother-dog of the "Serra da Estrela" puppies had adopted the lambs.

cpietra16
August 29th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Wow...that is just amazing. The dog is such a great mom.

Nebelparder
August 30th, 2010, 04:04 AM
The dog is such a great mom.

She really is! Raising 11 puppies in this years's extremly hot Portuguese summer ist not so easily done. The race is "Co da Serra da Estrela", a guarding dog for sheeps and goats from Portugal. The big yellow playfriend dog is a "Dogo Canario" from the Canary Islands-

mastifflover
August 30th, 2010, 08:11 AM
What a Beautiful Canary Mastiff as is your other dog is it an Anatolian Shepherd Dog? Of course I would expect nothing but gentleness from the big dogs. Welcome to our board feel free to post some more pics of your beautiful dogs

Nebelparder
August 30th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks for that welcome, "mastifflover"! So we prefere the same kind of dogs, for the Dogo Canario is my special one. The Co da Serra da Estrela (not Anatolian Shepherd) is my special one human's favorite race. It's an old race, still popular and quite common in Portugal.

and since you are the mastifflover, heres a pic of my masiff-dog, 16 months old at that time. Now he's 20.

mastifflover
August 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
He is beautiful Yes I am a huge lover of Mastiffs such gentle giants