Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

escape proof door/window screens?

earhtmother
August 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Ok I need some help making my screen windows as escape proof as possible. I have border collie/beagle/German shepherd cross that has a stubborn escape streak a mile wide. She always eventually comes home but as we live on a semi busy country road I am afraid that one of these times there will be a car-dog interaction with disastrous consequences and I am quite tired of chasing her and replacing screens. She doesn’t try all the time just when she gets all wound up about something-usually animal-that has caught her attention outside. As she so far has only ripped the spline out to make the screen flap I was thinking of glueing the spline in place but if she ripped the screen itself and I had to replace it, I am thinking this would then cause me no end of headaches. So short of living with my wood doors forever closed what are my alternatives.

Thanks
elaine

clm
August 29th, 2010, 11:28 AM
They sell replacement screen material for doors and windows at all the big box stores. It's about 3 times the price of regular screen, but much, much stronger.

clm

Dee-O-Gee
August 29th, 2010, 04:39 PM
I just replaced screens in my sun porch. I bought the vinyl screening however; I layed 2 layers and doubled it up. So far no one has escaped! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Is she just ripping out the screens on the bottom half of the outside doors, earhtmother? If so, would you consider getting a piece of plexiglass or masonite cut to the dimensions of the bottom half of your outside door and bolting it there? It would only interfere with half of your air flow through the door, and it might keep her inside :fingerscr

happycats
August 31st, 2010, 10:10 AM
There is special "pet" screening available in your local wal-mart or home depot, but that just stops the screens from ripping, it won't stop your dog from popping the frame with screen right out of the window though :shrug:. I guess you could secure the frame to the window somehow.

Floppy Dog
August 31st, 2010, 03:28 PM
You mentioned windows and doors, which is it or is it both? If it's just a door, have you considered converting your wooden door into a Dutch door? That's the kind that is in 2 pieces with a shacle bolt to hold them together. I've yet to meet a dog that can go through a solid wood exterior door.:laughing: