Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

trying something new for Bentley the barker

clm
August 29th, 2010, 04:36 AM
As some of you know, I've had a bark collar for Bentley for some time. I only use it on him early in the morning or if he needs to go outside in the middle of the night, but have never liked using the darn things on him to start with. With all the fur, the collar has to go on very tight, and while it does shut itself off for 5 minutes if the dogs is in a barking frenzy, I still don't like him getting shocked.
Baxter will bark, but will stop when we tell him to, just as all of our other dogs have done in the past. Bentley however has the strongest prey drive I've ever seen in this breed and goes insane at the sight of anything he figures is a threat in our yard or the neighbours yards and will bark himself hoarse.
Now I'm an early riser, as this post will show, ha, ha. And I've been avoiding going outside early in the morning with the dogs, so there is no chance of them waking up the neighbours. None of them have ever complained, but they shouldn't have to either. It's been driving me crazy to stay inside until 8:30 in the morning during the week and after 9 on the weekends, so today we got a couple of those petsafe sonic bark control things. They look like little birdhouses and emit a sonic sound if it picks up the dog barking.
We were skeptical, but thought we'd try them anyway. I put one up near where they both will race up and bark at squirrels and one that will cover a good portion of the yard near the pond. I have them set at the weakest setting to start with and see how it goes. Now Bentley thought he saw a squirrel (there was none, just the wind) in the neighbours pussywillow trees that overhang our yard, jumped on the pond deck and barked...once....then turned around and came to me.
Then a while later both of them thought they saw something in the other neighbours yard, they both barked....once...and both came to me and no more barking.
Now this might be a coincidence, but this is totally abnormal behaviour for them. The real test will be an actual squirrel sighting, which is sure to happe in a few hours. So far I'm optimistic.
Other things will set these things off as we've seen. The one neighbour started up his lawnmower close to where the one is hanging and I could see it go off, so I shut it off until he was done. We have trains that run behind the house, but they did not make the devices go off. Good thing is that we're always outside when they are, so if something besides the dogs barking is setting it off, it takes but the flip of the dial to shut it off. Keeping my fingers crossed I'll be able to start going out with them early in the morning again soon.

clm

clm
August 29th, 2010, 11:26 AM
well, they've passed the squirrel test and the company test on the lowest setting. :thumbs up Now watch.....I'll take the dogs out at 6am tomorrow and find out it's just my imagination that they're working. :laughing:

clm

hazelrunpack
August 29th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Good luck in the a.m. :goodvibes: Keep us posted :fingerscr

luckypenny
August 29th, 2010, 11:33 PM
Man, wouldn't that be excellent if it worked so well :goodvibes:. Yes, please let us know how it goes in the morning.

And if you have time, would you explain how/why it works please? I've heard of it before, just never knew of anyone who's ever used it.

clm
August 30th, 2010, 08:39 AM
:thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up
chickened out and waited until 7 to take them out this morning. Prime, prime squirrel time. They were out in the back yard and I had to take something out to the green bin on the curb. I heard Bentley and Baxter bark a couple of times and that was it. Sat out with them by the pond for an hour. A couple of squirrel alerts and again he barked a couple of times, but that was the end of it. Unheard of for him. Normally that's Baxter behaviour, but Bentley would go on and on and on. He took off in his usual flat out run for the happless squirrels going across the back fence, but the barking was definately very limited which is all I am asking of the devices and his frantic behaviour settled down much faster too since he couldn't whip himself into a barking frenzy.
LP, from what I understand, when the devices detect the dog barking, it emits a high pitched utrasonic sound. Dogs hear it, not humans. It's not perfect. The microphone detects other noises that will set it off, but the device can be shut off when you know those other noises are going to be around. There are 3 settings, low, medium and high. Low emits the sound at a lower level and detects the barking from 15', medium ups the level of sound emited and detected to 30' and high is at 50'.
Takes a regular 9volt battery too which is a bonus.
I've read good and bad reviews for these things, but I have nothing but good things to say so far. We'll see if they continue to work this well with my boys.

clm

hazelrunpack
August 30th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Sounds great so far! How do you tell if the battery is low? Course, wouldn't it be great if the battery ran out and Bentley was so well-trained that he still didn't go on a barking jag? :goodvibes:

Longblades
August 30th, 2010, 09:02 PM
We have a small handheld ultrasonic dog deterrant that we carry when we bicycle. One house in particular has two nasty, yappy dogs that charge us when we go by. We just aimed the thing at them, pressed the button and they turned back. It is so high pitched humans can't hear it but dogs can and it is very unpleasant to them but does not hurt them. It works the same way the OP's device does, and it does work.

And, it is useful for your own pets that are going deaf. Both our last and present deaf cats can hear this when we want to get their attention. It doesn't seem to bother them as it does the dogs with full hearing.

I have heard of complaints with the backyard version in that it may affect other dogs nearby as well as your own.

Dee-O-Gee
August 30th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I've read up on those bird house bark control devices and have been curious about them but wasn't aware that other sounds would set them off such as a lawnmower.

You should be my neighbor clm. I wouldn't hear a freight train if it came through my house so you could take Bentley and Baxter out at 4:30 a.m. every morning if you'd like! :D :thumbs up

onster
August 31st, 2010, 12:18 PM
someone was just telling me about this kind of device the other day but the one she was wanting to get apparently doesn't tell you when the battery is out so she didnt get it. if this model has a low battery indicator that would be awesome for her!

browntown
September 8th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Glad to hear that someone is having success with this product! We purchased one of these for the grooming salon where I work, and it hasn't cut down on the barking back there a single bit.. I'm contemplating bringing it home to see if it'll work for my ferocious fluffy white beast.

You mentioned that you started out on the lowest setting, did you have to increase it to get the response you wanted?