Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Peeing & Pooing Everywhere!

suzyq2626
August 28th, 2010, 12:42 PM
We have 2 cats; both female, both spayed. Pepper is younger, no problems with her as far as litter box is concerned. Tiny, on the other hand, who's about 10-12 yrs. old (not sure exactly as she was an outdoor cat up until 6 yrs. ago) we've always had occasional litter box problems with her. She will sporadically decide to poo (and pee sometimes) elsewhere. Usually poo is the issue, but lately it's also been pee. She pees and poos in random spots throughout the house. In the past, she has even poo'd on our bed, right near our pillows. :mad: She hasn't done that since before our son was born (6 months ago). Our son is going to be crawling soon, and I don't want poo all over the house for him to get at!! :yuck:

Currently, I'm not sure if she's even using the litter boxes at all. We have 3 of them... 2 covered, 1 not. Up to just now, they were all in the same spot in our basement, but since reading up a few other posts on here, I moved one of them to where she just poo'd, and then talked to her gently and put her paw in for a second. BUT, now Pepper (the other cat) just used it :shrug:

She has many, many spots throughout the house where she is going... some right in our living room or under our bed, and other spots in our basement. I can't really have 15 litter boxes throughout my house in every spot!!! WTD?

Oh, about 1 year ago, she had bloody & mucus-y stools, so the vet gave her some meds, which cleared that up. As I stated earlier, this behaviour has been going on both before and after that diagnosis & treatment.

Love4himies
August 28th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Are they cleaned daily? Have you tried changing the brand of litter?

Does she get outside at all to do her business? Puddles prefers to go outside under our deck than in a litterbox.

sugarcatmom
August 28th, 2010, 12:58 PM
What does Tiny eat? Sometimes constipation or other intestinal discomfort can result in cats not using the litter box because they associate the box with pain.

suzyq2626
August 28th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Well the boxes are not cleaned daily... definitely not as much as they should be. BUT, even when they are freshly cleaned, I'll still find poo everywhere. From what I've been able to tell, that doesn't seem to be a factor... unless she's just pissed about this so she's acting out? LOL

Tiny (as well as Pepper) eats dry food (out all day long) and wet food (one small can shared for supper every night). The dry food is usually a store brand Chicken/Beef/Seafood blend, and the wet food is Friskies Poultry Lovers.

sugarcatmom
August 29th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Well the boxes are not cleaned daily... definitely not as much as they should be. BUT, even when they are freshly cleaned, I'll still find poo everywhere. From what I've been able to tell, that doesn't seem to be a factor... unless she's just pissed about this so she's acting out? LOL

Tiny (as well as Pepper) eats dry food (out all day long) and wet food (one small can shared for supper every night). The dry food is usually a store brand Chicken/Beef/Seafood blend, and the wet food is Friskies Poultry Lovers.

Some info for you to read on litter box maintenance: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox First thing I would do is start cleaning those boxes at least once a day, if not twice. Even if that isn't the original source of the problem (which it might have been, and now Tiny has decided it's acceptable to eliminate outside the box anytime, not just when there's a dirty box), it isn't helping the current situation.

Food could also be a factor here. Dry food, especially cheap generic dry food, is extremely high in grainy carbohydrates. Just read the ingredients on the bag and ask yourself if an OBLIGATE carnivore should be eating so much corn, wheat, rice, etc. Meat is what they need, as well as water with their food. A kibble diet causes chronic dehydration in cats, which can result in painful constipation, making the whole litter box experience a negative one.

Here's what I strongly suggest: ditch the kibble altogether and start feeding a better quality wet food. More info on why and how here: http://www.catinfo.org/ Also, pick up some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter from PetSmart or wherever, and make sure you thoroughly scoop out the boxes in the morning and evening. If you haven't replaced your litter boxes lately (like within the last year), that would also be a good idea. Urine odours are retained in the plastic over the years and can become off-putting to cats. It's up to you to make the litter boxes as appealing as possible to Tiny.

For the spots that she's eliminated on in the past, make sure you're cleaning them with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Urine Off to get rid of any residual odours that you can't smell, but she can. You can also put tin foil in places she uses regularly to make them less attractive to her. Doesn't have to stay there forever, just until she's been retrained back to the boxes.

And good luck! While inappropriate elimination can be extremely frustrating to deal with, most cases can eventually be rectified with some diligence and understanding of the cat's perspective.

chico2
August 29th, 2010, 02:22 PM
SCM,I was going to add,but not needed.:thumbs up
I would think cheap dry food would also make the cats poop more.
The only time one of my cats pooped on our bed,was when we were on holiday and they were stressed.