Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ADHD somewhat under control, more ideaas needed though

erykah1310
August 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Well, Elmo is by definition ADHD ( diagnosed by me... nothing professional)
Anyways, since Elmo cant really go many places or be a part of any kind of organized dog sports like dock diving, flyball, agility ect.
I have been trying to do some creative things around here with him to "burn him out" a bit.
Obedience training for puppies has been a real mental drain for him leading to less physical energy for Oh... 5 minutes ( I am taking advantage of his nap time right now to type this)

I started doing a bit of basic tracking training with him this morning, he's smart and picks up on what to do almost instantly but quickly gets bored with things. I dont want him to be bored, but Iwould rather him be interested in anything other than jumping on our table, counters, beds and having full out bursts of zoomies around our house and basement.
Looking for some ideas for a dog that cant be calmed down, learns fast and bores easily, keeping his mind busy and energy levels draining. He is only approx 4 months or so too, so need to keep that in mind.

Also, do not want anything "physical" such as tug of war, mouthing people in anyway or any form of dog wrestling is discouraged with him too.
Anyone have any suggestions for basic things to teach him to drain some energy?:pray:
Also, since his introduction to my life, I have to admit I have fallen completely head over heels for this little guy, so much so that I have found myself looking into various different things (ie, getting the heck out of this rediculous province):rolleyes:

chico2
August 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Erykah,obviously I have no advice to give,having only cats,but I am a bit confused(happens often:laughing:)is Elmo the pup who needed to go out of this stupid Ontario???

erykah1310
August 27th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Yep thats the boy... but I cant stand to see him in a shelter, or various foster homes so he's safe here for now. And he does need some serious manners lol.
Neighbours are all fine with "boxer mix" and just the one down the road kinda winked when we said it and chuckled saying he was very cute no matter what he was.
Plus I have a great vet ;-P and things are in the works for Elmo, he may just age really fast depending on a few things lol