Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My foster dog will probably never leave

BenMax
August 27th, 2010, 11:53 AM
Well for those that do not know, I have a foster shih zsu now for the past 4 months. He was so terribly ill, thin and weak when I got him but now he is doing amazingly well.

Unfortunately for him, he is terminal at only 6 years of age. I have to tell you that I knew what I was getting into, but I thought someone would adopt him regardless. His heart valve is not formed properly and for this reason he will be on heart meds for the rest of his life...for however long that may be. Vet says anywhere between 1-2 years.

So I decided to let him live his life to the fullest. Run, play, chase...basically do whatever he loves to do. No babying him, just let him be a dog in love with life. And why not? I have been critized for this, but I have to tell you when I see him tearing through the field, with his tongue hanging out and a huge smile, how can I tell him no? And besides, I know he is dying, he doesn't.

I am not sure if this is a rant, a cry for approval or just something to share. I just wish that others would open their hearts and enjoy this beautiful little man. I think (yes I said I think) I will probably be another foster failure.:o. If so, that means there are 5 dogs and 6 cats. Lordy I need my head examined.:)

Sylvie
August 27th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Hi BM

I hear every word you are saying. Thank Dog he is with you. He is enjoying life to the fullest. Many people would not allow that. :eek: If it were me that is what I would want.

You are an angel for doing everything that you do. :grouphug:

BenMax
August 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=Sylvie;947633]Hi BM

I hear every word you are saying. Thank Dog he is with you. He is enjoying life to the fullest. Many people would not allow that. :eek: If it were me that is what I would want.
QUOTE]

My BF was always picking him up and carrying him here and there as he felt sorry for him. I told him to put him down and just let him enjoy life. If his time is tomorrow, well I can honestly say that he LOVED being loved and loved being just who he is. This little dog has taught me so much. I absolutely adore him.:cloud9:

Chris21711
August 27th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Bless you BenMax, if only there were more folks like you :angel:....you said 5 dogs :confused:...I thought that besides fosters only Maddox and Julia lived with you on a full time basis....hmmmm, did I miss something?

Boyfriend :lovestruck:

BenMax
August 27th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Bless you BenMax, if only there were more folks like you :angel:....you said 5 dogs :confused:...I thought that besides fosters only Maddox and Julia lived with you on a full time basis....hmmmm, did I miss something?

Boyfriend :lovestruck:

:laughing: Yep BF has 2 rescue dogs. And since we are together every weekend, they count as the 'pack'. Ok correction to be made...we BOTH need our heads examined. On a good note, he does not mind one bit!:):thumbs up

Dog Dancer
August 27th, 2010, 12:14 PM
BM you are certainly doing the right thing by this little guy. We could all take a lesson from it. Live every day as though it could be your last. He'll go when he goes, like you said, happy and loved. If his wee little heart gives out after a good romp and play well so much the better.

Love4himies
August 27th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Well that is one lucky shih tzu pup :lovestruck: :dog:.

Holy smokes, lady that makes 11 in total, soon you will be catching up to ummmmm 14+ :eek: :laughing:.

A BF that spoils the pups :lovestruck:, hopefully he spoils you too! :lovestruck:, you deserve it! :angel:

BenMax
August 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Well that is one lucky shih tzu pup :lovestruck: :dog:.

Holy smokes, lady that makes 11 in total, soon you will be catching up to ummmmm 14+ :eek: :laughing:.

A BF that spoils the pups :lovestruck:, hopefully he spoils you too! :lovestruck:, you deserve it! :angel:

I know...I am getting up there aren't I???? But I have to tell you that I enjoy having them all. We have a very happy family.

Oh and yes, BF spoils me rotten, but he buys the dogs all kinds of treats...then again he does the same for me. We are all treated the same. Is that a good thing or bad thing...:laughing:

Dog Dancer
August 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM
BM, my hubby is in Italy right now, and when I call him he talks to the dogs! Well he talks to me too, so I guess that's okay, but men who love our pets is definitely a good thing. Actually, a few years ago he told me if we ever split up he was keeping Halo! It was good to know he had long term plans for one of my dogs but wasn't sure about me :frustrated:

Brat
August 27th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Aww BenMax it sounds like he's having the time of his life, you are an angel for doing it :)

My BF is a huge animal lover too and he's also said that if we split up he gets the dog.. I'm sure it would be a huge issue if ever it happened. hehe

He was actually looking at some pictures up on a Rescue's page on Facebook a few days ago and there was one dog in a tiny little cage looking down at a red ball and she seemed all playful. The note said she needed a foster ASAP or they were going to put her down and my bf who was sitting next to me in bed woke me up to look at the picture and he was crying.. He said "she has no idea that her life is about to end, all she wants to do is play.." The only time I've ever seen him cry (and he does often hehe) is when we learn about animals in need or we think about the day our dog won't be with us. He's a 6'2" mechanic/welder but he has the softest spot in his heart for animals and I love him for it.

A day later, we went to pick up that doggie and she is now our first foster! We are both already in LOVE with her. :lovestruck: I'm not sure I can give her up honestly. She has such a kind soul and she is such a well behaved dog. I keep telling myself that if I let her go and she finds her forever home then I can take in other fosters.. but :( I love her so much.

Chris21711
August 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Meet Little Spike :lovestruck::lovestruck:

(Sorry it took so long BenMax, the cyber-gods were against me again :yell:)

BenMax
August 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Now look at that happy face!!! He always smiles especially on our off leash walks. He even chased a deer about 3 weeks ago. Thought he was 'all that'!. He came back on recall, I wanted to scold him...but just couldn't.

No worries, the deer was fine and perhaps shocked that a little runt like that took chase.

ancientgirl
August 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Oh man, what a sweetie. I totally understand what you are doing. If you never let him run or play, then he'd be miserable, and not knowing how long he truly has, that's heartbreaking. Let him enjoy his life. When his time comes, he will have lived happily.

On a side note, is there no surgery that can help him?

BenMax
August 27th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Oh man, what a sweetie. I totally understand what you are doing. If you never let him run or play, then he'd be miserable, and not knowing how long he truly has, that's heartbreaking. Let him enjoy his life. When his time comes, he will have lived happily.

On a side note, is there no surgery that can help him?

There is surgery but it is in the $5,000 - $10,000 range and even at that not guaranteed. I opted not for surgery and support the decision. He is worth every bit of effort, but at the same time there are so many other animals that can benefit from such a sum of money. Horrible for me to say, but realistic I think. The way I see it, he is happy and loving his life as it is. I am doing the same thing with Maddox. I have been told that he will not live as long as a 'normal' dog, so I decided to just enjoy him as is. His heart is damaged permenantly and I have accepted that as well.

Dog Dancer
August 27th, 2010, 01:37 PM
That is one very happy looking puppy. Now where are the other dog pics??? I don't think we've seen Maddox in a long time.

ancientgirl
August 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM
There is surgery but it is in the $5,000 - $10,000 range and even at that not guaranteed. I opted not for surgery and support the decision. He is worth every bit of effort, but at the same time there are so many other animals that can benefit from such a sum of money. Horrible for me to say, but realistic I think. The way I see it, he is happy and loving his life as it is. I am doing the same thing with Maddox. I have been told that he will not live as long as a 'normal' dog, so I decided to just enjoy him as is. His heart is damaged permenantly and I have accepted that as well.

I don't blame you. Sounds like the surgery was 50/50 at best. No matter how long they do have, at least they are loved and happy.

BenMax
August 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM
That is one very happy looking puppy. Now where are the other dog pics??? I don't think we've seen Maddox in a long time.

Funny you should mention that. Chris has offered to help me with the pictures. Once I get them to her, I will definately open up a Maddox thread. Afterall - he is a Pets.ca dog for real now isn't he.:dog:

Frenchy
August 27th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Congrats BM !!! So you have a "boite de kleenex" too now ! :crazy:

I totally agree with you , about letting him be a dog , play , have fun , as you said , he doesn't know he's sick :(

does he and Julia play together ?

BrownEyedGirl
August 27th, 2010, 02:45 PM
He certainly does look happy. Bless you for what you are doing.

mastifflover
August 27th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I think you are doing the right thing. Let him enjoy life to the fullest why coddle him if I were him I would want to live what life I have to the nth degree. I think spending that kind of money with no guarantee and could possibly cause him to die sooner, I would not do it either.

chico2
August 27th, 2010, 04:08 PM
BenMax,you and your BF are wonderful,I am glad you met someone who feels the way you do..:grouphug:
I have converted my hubby to a total suck when it comes to animals and I love it:laughing:
Little Spike is adorable and I am glad he is a failed foster,he could not live a better life,no matter how short,than with you:cloud9:

cpietra16
August 27th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Benmax, you are doing everything and more for him. By just letting him be a dog...is the best thing you can do. He has not clue and he should have the best time ever. "Live like its your last day"...is a great saying for just that reason...enjoy life to the fullest. That MF is what you are giving him. Congrats.:thumbs up

Luvmypitgirls
August 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Benmax, Dog Bless you!:cry: I just seen this, the story of your little Spike brought tears to my eyes, happy tears, because he is being allowed to live and love his life to the fullest. There is no greater gift you could give him besides making him a permanent part of your pack :thumbs up
If I was dealing with a situation such as yours and Spikes, I would be doing exactly what you are doing, let him rip roar thru the fields, let him have fun, let him "live".
The only part I disagree with you on is where you said "I know he's dying, he doesn't", I'm of a different mindset about that, I believe they do know when they are dying. Someday I will share the story with you, but I can't right now because I would end up in bed all day bawling again.:(
You never know BenMax, he could end up being a miracle himself, perhaps he will live longer than the vets have given him, afterall he now has a life worth living....you gave him that:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

BenMax
August 30th, 2010, 08:04 AM
BenMax,you and your BF are wonderful,I am glad you met someone who feels the way you do..:grouphug:
I have converted my hubby to a total suck when it comes to animals and I love it:laughing:
Little Spike is adorable and I am glad he is a failed foster,he could not live a better life,no matter how short,than with you:cloud9:

Chico2, Spike is absolutely a dream dog and so easy to take care of. I do understand people's hestiation in adopting him due to his condition, but if only people could just have given him a chance, he would have proved to be such a wonderful loving companion and regardless of time, he would enhance anyones life.

I have not foster failed just yet, as I am only allowed to have 2 dogs in my municipality. Where my BF lives, he is allowed 4 dogs and with his two, and my two, Spike makes 5. So what we have decided to do is just to keep him registered under the rescue just in case. He still is up for adoption, and only if the best home is found only then will he actually leave us. But in saying this, we have decided to just consider him ours and see what happens. Regardless of the outcome, he must stay under rescue status due to how many dogs we have together.

Shaykeija
August 30th, 2010, 09:09 AM
That is how I got Orphan Annie. She came into rescue and she was just too old,warty and deaf. I think she is beautiful and will live the rest of her life here with me. We figure she is about 14. What a wonderful smile your little boy has...:lovestruck:

BenMax
August 30th, 2010, 09:13 AM
That is how I got Orphan Annie. She came into rescue and she was just too old,warty and deaf. I think she is beautiful and will live the rest of her life here with me. We figure she is about 14. What a wonderful smile your little boy has...:lovestruck:

He did not have that smile for a few months. It has taken alot of time to help him get over the phenomia, get weight on him, get his skin, ears and eyes back to normal (due to a horrible yeast infection) and also hotspots. Trust me, he was not smiling then and I was unsure if he would make it at some points. Now is a different story....he is full of piss and vinegar. I call him my little "Heart man" because he is so full of heart without defects!:lovestruck:

Love4himies
August 30th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Awwwwww, what a sweetie pie :cloud9::lovestruck::cloud9:

Sometimes ignorance is bliss; he can enjoy his life without a care in the world :thumbs up.

A pic of you walking all 5 of your dogs sure would be great to see :p:laughing:

BenMax
August 30th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Awwwwww, what a sweetie pie :cloud9::lovestruck::cloud9:

Sometimes ignorance is bliss; he can enjoy his life without a care in the world :thumbs up.

A pic of you walking all 5 of your dogs sure would be great to see :p:laughing:

L4H - I cannot walk all 5 at the same time. One weighs 150+lbs.:eek:. The BF on the other hand can walk them all. Infact, he also has a foster and walks 6. So 3 little breeds and 3 very large breeds.

I currently have one of his dogs as he is away on work. I have inherited his doberman.....who is quite the challenge as she does not like women. I am slowly getting her to trust me and I even got a kiss yesterday!:thumbs up. So the most I can walk with comfort is 4.

Love4himies
August 30th, 2010, 11:54 AM
L4H - I cannot walk all 5 at the same time. One weighs 150+lbs.:eek:. The BF on the other hand can walk them all. Infact, he also has a foster and walks 6. So 3 little breeds and 3 very large breeds.

I currently have one of his dogs as he is away on work. I have inherited his doberman.....who is quite the challenge as she does not like women. I am slowly getting her to trust me and I even got a kiss yesterday!:thumbs up. So the most I can walk with comfort is 4.

We don't mind pics of the BF :D

Must have felt good getting a kiss from her :lovestruck: Before you know it, you will be getting full facials :lovestruck::laughing:

BenMax
August 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM
We don't mind pics of the BF :D

Must have felt good getting a kiss from her :lovestruck: Before you know it, you will be getting full facials :lovestruck::laughing:

She is very food motivated so it could be that she was trying to get a nibble.:shrug:. I wish to believe it is because she is starting to trust me. She gets along great with the dogs and cats even.
He has trained her so very well as to where she came from was absolutely horrific. It goes to show that the 2 years that he has had her, and all the re-hab that he has done has paid off. She is still leary of people, but I can totally understand why. Our relationship is getting better and I do not push myself on her. So far she is responding well and I only have gotten the full teeth, curled lip routine twice.:o. In time I am sure she will love me almost as much as her dad.:)

chico2
August 30th, 2010, 03:27 PM
BM,I am sure she will,I believe animals sense,who is a good person and you certainly are:grouphug:

BenMax
August 30th, 2010, 03:55 PM
BM,I am sure she will,I believe animals sense,who is a good person and you certainly are:grouphug:

BF is actually shocked that she is doing as well to date. She now plays with me and puts her head on my lap. There are just a few times that she did not appreciate me being close to him. Also, she cannot be touched on the chest (which I did) and she let me know mighty quick that this was not acceptable. But - she is slowly getting better and it is the second time that I have puppysat her. She just follows me around and sticks close by. She is doing great really.:thumbs up

14+kitties
August 30th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Nothing to add. Just :grouphug: to you and BF. :cloud9::grouphug:

Tundra_Queen
August 31st, 2010, 09:42 AM
Meet Little Spike :lovestruck::lovestruck:

(Sorry it took so long BenMax, the cyber-gods were against me again :yell:)

Oh he is adorable!

BM...u are such a wonderful person to give Spike all the love he can soak up! I'm sending u a PM. *S*

Debbie

BenMax
August 31st, 2010, 10:29 AM
Oh he is adorable!

BM...u are such a wonderful person to give Spike all the love he can soak up! I'm sending u a PM. *S*

Debbie

PM received. Thank you so much Tundra Queen.:grouphug:

onster
August 31st, 2010, 11:16 AM
Just wanted to say that you are amazing :grouphug:

Floppy Dog
August 31st, 2010, 02:56 PM
BenMax, I've always said that a dog only has today so if his todays aren't worth living then he has nothing. So keep doing what you're doing. And if Spike drops dead in the middle of a run with his tongue haning out and a silly doggy smile on his face, he probably won't even realize he's gone to the Rainbow Bridge until he turns around to look for you and your BF.

BenMax
August 31st, 2010, 03:09 PM
BenMax, I've always said that a dog only has today so if his todays aren't worth living then he has nothing. So keep doing what you're doing. And if Spike drops dead in the middle of a run with his tongue haning out and a silly doggy smile on his face, he probably won't even realize he's gone to the Rainbow Bridge until he turns around to look for you and your BF.

Thank you Floppy Dog. Funny thing is that the day that he ran after the deer was the day that he looked proud as punch 'scaring away the big animal'. It was priceless to see him run back full speed snorting and jumping and running towards us with such conviction. Oh yes, he thought he 'saved' us from an unimaginable fate. I just couldn't scold him at that point. He was so darn proud. I said to my BF, if he died that day on that spot...it was worth this moment as this was the happiest I had ever seen him. My BF is far more careful with him than I. He still picks him up going up the stairs and helps him get off the couch. He says that he wants him to save all that energy for the squirrels, frogs and now the deer.:laughing:

Floppy Dog
September 1st, 2010, 11:25 AM
My BF is far more careful with him than I. He still picks him up going up the stairs and helps him get off the couch. He says that he wants him to save all that energy for the squirrels, frogs and now the deer.:laughing:

Can't say I blame him for that, chasing squirrels and deer is a far better use of a dog's energy than hopping on and off the couch or doing the stairs!:laughing: :grouphug: to you and your BF.

BenMax
September 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM
Can't say I blame him for that, chasing squirrels and deer is a far better use of a dog's energy than hopping on and off the couch or doing the stairs!:laughing: :grouphug: to you and your BF.

So very true.:) But, the stairs is another one of his 'high moments'. I currently have 4 dogs at the home (normally 3 but I am dobersitting) and they all have a race to the top. Maddox I am convinced 'let' the others take the lead. If Spike reaches the top before Julia, he starts to bark, dance and jumps up on me for the 'good boy' shpeal. It is really something to be seen. He is just so smitten with himself. Heck....he is starting to act like Julia.....(oh oh).

Floppy Dog
September 1st, 2010, 05:20 PM
So very true.:) If Spike reaches the top before Julia, he starts to bark, dance and jumps up on me for the 'good boy' shpeal. It is really something to be seen. He is just so smitten with himself.

Well, in that case, I take my earlier comment about stairs back!

BenMax
September 2nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
Well, in that case, I take my earlier comment about stairs back!

No Floppy Dog, you are absolutely right. I do actually pick him up at times especially if it is hot outside as he does not need the added stress on his heart. I kind of evaluate his mood and his energy level before letting this be a habit.

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2010, 09:25 AM
Thank you Floppy Dog. Funny thing is that the day that he ran after the deer was the day that he looked proud as punch 'scaring away the big animal'. It was priceless to see him run back full speed snorting and jumping and running towards us with such conviction. Oh yes, he thought he 'saved' us from an unimaginable fate. I just couldn't scold him at that point. He was so darn proud. I said to my BF, if he died that day on that spot...it was worth this moment as this was the happiest I had ever seen him. My BF is far more careful with him than I. He still picks him up going up the stairs and helps him get off the couch. He says that he wants him to save all that energy for the squirrels, frogs and now the deer.:laughing:

Awwwww, that is absolutely precious, BenMax. I really think animals have a sense of pride when they feel they have accomplished something. This will be a moment that Spike will never forget :lovestruck:

BenMax
September 2nd, 2010, 11:31 AM
Awwwww, that is absolutely precious, BenMax. I really think animals have a sense of pride when they feel they have accomplished something. This will be a moment that Spike will never forget :lovestruck:

If dogs really do live for the moment, then he has been living some wonderful ones since his health has improved. You really have never seen such a happy dog...I know I haven't. His character has blossomed (no thanks to Julia :laughing:), but I am sure she has given him the confidence that he required. He really is a gem. I will ask Chris to post another 'soothing' picture of Spike.:thumbs up

Love4himies
September 2nd, 2010, 12:15 PM
If dogs really do live for the moment, then he has been living some wonderful ones since his health has improved. You really have never seen such a happy dog...I know I haven't. His character has blossomed (no thanks to Julia :laughing:), but I am sure she has given him the confidence that he required. He really is a gem. I will ask Chris to post another 'soothing' picture of Spike.:thumbs up

Doesn't that just make your heart sing :cloud9::lovestruck:. The rewards of being a selfless :angel: to those in need :grouphug: