Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ideas for safe crate divider for Vari-Kennel style crate

ScottieDog
August 26th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Is there a safe way to block off a portion of a plastic airline-style crate? I've been looking online and can only find crate dividers for the wire mesh style crates. I'm willing to try to make something at home, but want something that would be safe. I've read about stuffing pillows and cardboard boxes in the back, but think these seem too chewable and not safe.

I currently have two of the plastic Vari-Kennels that are sized for an adult Scottie. I also have a large wire crate so getting a wire divider for it is possible. I would prefer to use the plastic kennel that is more den-like. If need be, I could purchase a smaller Vari-Kennel, but really don't want to since it would be used for such a short time and then need to be stored.

I know I could cover the wire crate to make it den-like, but it is really large and I can't move it upstairs and downstairs.

Any ideas? Oh, and the crate would be used for sleeping, feeding and as a housetraining aide--not an extended doggie storage compartment.

Winston
August 26th, 2010, 08:38 PM
I used to divide my ex large crate with a laundrey hamper??maybe you could find something small like that and at least its plastic!

ScottieDog
August 28th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the idea. I've found some smaller versions of "laundry hampers", DVD storage crates, that I can fit in the crate and cable tie together (where pup can't get it).

I also came up with an idea using PVC pipe, but think my homemade contraption will be nearly the cost of a new crate.

Thanks for your help! :thumbs up