Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Chihuahua chews her fingernails

ladydi1212
September 11th, 2004, 05:53 PM
:eek: I have an adorable little chihuahua who actually puts her paw in her mouth and chews her nails. Has anyone ever heard of this before? She is slightly neurotic and very timid, but a she is a good little girl. I just wish she would stop this. Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated. Thank you.

Ladydi1212 :p

Cflat
September 17th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure about chewing nails, but generally if a dog bites or chews its feed or legs it is due to an allergy. Have you changed anything that may cause an allergy to begin. Also, if a dog has an allergy to outside forces such as weeds and pollen 9 times out of 10 they start in August (around here anyway).

Copper'sMom
September 20th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Are her nails too long? Sometimes when a dog's nails get to long they will chew their own. Or it could be from boredom. Does she have any chew toys? Can you distract her when she is biting her nails or does she ignore the distraction? Or maybe she is neurotic! Let us know what you find out.

Sneaky2006
September 20th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Are her nails too long? Sometimes when a dog's nails get to long they will chew their own.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. My sister has a min pin and he screams bloody murder when you try to clip his nails so he got into the habit of biting them.
My sister thought it was a better alternative than to have him sedated every time his nails get too long.