Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Mill Pet Shop

downloader
September 11th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Today I when to Yogi pet shop in Montreal on Jean Talon street. What a horror. Over crowed puppys in pens and cages, some had 9 puppys in a 2x4 pen, all with wire bottoms. All the dogs were sold as pure breeds. There were all kinds , They looked like pure breeds but none of them had papers or were registered. The prices were way too high, not that I would buy a puppy from a place like that. A Chihuahua was selling for $1000. The other animals were no better, I seen a fish tank with about 30 zebra danios in a 2.5 gal. The rabbits were about 10 to a cage. Can anyone do something about this place?

SunnySpirit
September 11th, 2004, 06:09 PM
I'm no expert, but I think you should at least tell someone. Like the police perhaps. The police need to have some really good evidence that that place isn't suitable before they can do anything. But I would try. Poor little puppies :(

Luba
September 11th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Contact your local humane society and file a complaint. Write down everything that you saw and tell them immediately.

Lucky Rescue
September 11th, 2004, 09:42 PM
The Montreal SPCA is ON Jean Talon. Please call them right away and tell them about this.

Keep calling them and checking the conditions at this pet shop until they get off their butts and do something.

Have your friends call about this place too!!

Donna Marie
September 11th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Not that you could just walk in there with a camera, but if you can do it. OR if you know someone who has a camera phone, get in there and take some pics.

goldenblaze
September 11th, 2004, 10:42 PM
Not that you could just walk in there with a camera, but if you can do it. OR if you know someone who has a camera phone, get in there and take some pics.

Good Idea, to bad that wasn't thought of more often. I wish I could do that at Paws R Us. Yes I agree call the Montreal HS they will help. I have talked to them about Paws and they really do try to do all they can but remember somethings are out of there hands with the stupid laws in QC.

downloader
September 12th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Your right Goldenblaze. After calling and getting red tape, they are no laws against puppy mills and pet shops that deal with them in Quebec. Read this if you what to get mad.

http://www.spcamontreal.com/english/pages/services/complaints.html

Lucky Rescue
September 12th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Can you believe this?

"The Province of Quebec has only 8 investigators, compared with Ontario which has 347 investigators."

8 investigators for the province. That's Quebec for you - where animals are pretty much considered to be garbage.

There is supposedly a new law concerning puppy mills here that the government has been shamed into enacting - not sure if it's in force yet.

And no, there are no laws against much of anything concerning animals, but if puppies are being kept in abusive or unsanitary conditions, the SPCA can tell them to clean up their act and that's about it.

goldenblaze
September 12th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Your right Goldenblaze. After calling and getting red tape, they are no laws against puppy mills and pet shops that deal with them in Quebec. Read this if you what to get mad.

http://www.spcamontreal.com/english/pages/services/complaints.html

How sad is that :mad: I know they had very few people becasue when I was talking to them in August about going to Paws R Us Kennel they did give me a date of when they were going but people were on vacation so had to wait for them to return. They have been to paws many times but this time Paws had no idea they were coming, I asked them to pay close attention to the parents of my Golden which came with demodex mange which comes from the parents. I will hear from Eric at CFHS about the visit and what they found, won't be long now. ;)