Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Attacks Dishwasher

hannahsikes78
August 24th, 2010, 10:36 PM
So my 3 1/2 year old West Highland Terrier attacks our dishwasher every time we open it. We got him when he was 2, and the previous owners never mentioned this issue (although we don't know a lot about his past). He doesn't care about it when it's closed or running, but as soon as its open he goes crazy. He barks, bites, tries to jump in it, slides under it, lunges at it, and just goes crazy. He especially hates when you put soap in it and try to close it. We have tried spraying him with water, leaving the dishwasher open, and just making him leave the room but nothing had worked. I want my dog to be happy and healthy (and I need to do the dishes!) Any suggestions with what's wrong/what we can do?

The other weird thing is that other things like the oven and stuff don't bother him?

cassiek
August 24th, 2010, 10:53 PM
Can you try to associate the dishwasher open with something positive? Can someone else be having him sit and stay, while the dishwasher is open, and encouraging him with treats or something else that motivates him?

If that doesn't work, can you simply just keep him out of the kitchen? Keep him out with a babygate, put him outside, etc.?

luckypenny
August 25th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Here's a video demonstrating how to change unwanted responses towards a particular stimuli. In this video, the dog reacts to the noise from a washing machine. You can use the same approach with your dog and the open dishwasher. Pay particular attention to your dog's "safe zone." You'll see what I mean in the video. Good luck :fingerscr and let us know how you progress.

http://www.youtube.com/kikopup#p/search/2/Jp_l9C1yT1g

RobinH
August 28th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Interesting.... I have a West Highland Terrier/Poodle X who does the same thing to the vacuum. The other day in the backyard he tried the same tactic with the whipper snipper... it scared me to death cause unlike the vacuum.. this garden tool could have seriously hurt him. Thanks for the UTube post Luckypenny. I have not watched it yet but I'm heading over there right now :)