Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When they go to the Bridge

Dog Dancer
August 24th, 2010, 01:22 PM
So TeriM's video about sweet Lucy got me thinking about when Shadow's time comes. As you mostly know Shadow has severe SA and has been with me 24/7 for years now. She comes to work with me and if I can't take her out with me we get a dog sitter so they're not alone. Watching Teri's video got me thinking about when Shadow goes (she's 13 now) and do you think their anxiety goes away? Will she be happy there without her peoples? She has such issues about being left alone, now I'm worried about how she'll do when she leaves me. She doesn't like other dogs, do all their aggression issues go away do you think? Will she take comfort in finding our previous dogs there and maybe even my late husband (her first daddy)? I know we don't have answers to these questions, I guess I'm just venting over my fears of losing her. I'm pretty sure that if the Rainbow Bridge is all we like to say it is I'm going to be in way worse shape than she is. I already am.:(

Winston
August 24th, 2010, 01:33 PM
DogDancer I have always wondered the same things? especially recently with loosing Bomber I wondered? How is he getting along? he was such a skittish cat and very much at my side 24/7. He spent his whole life with his sister who still remains here and a big brown doggy who he left behind as well. All he ever knew was his family so I wondered if he was alone, scared or even hiding? People proabably think we are nuts but heck if I could just have a peak at this place they call the Rainbow Bridge it would put my mind at ease about them leaving!

I so know what you mean!!

Frenchy
August 24th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that if the Rainbow Bridge is all we like to say it is I'm going to be in way worse shape than she is. I already am.:(

Like when people close to us die , we , the living , are the ones who are left here to deal with the pain , the sadness. I'm not a religious person , I don't believe in any god. But , I do believe there is a place for all pets. There has to be , because they're so much better than we are ! And of course , it's a place without pain , sadness , health issues , they find their old friends ... and they all get along ! Anyway , that's what I like to believe. :o

I also believe there's a place for humans btw, I was 13 yr old when my father died. After a few days , I "asked" him , to give me a sign that he was ok , where ever he was. (even back then , I didn't believe ...) but to NOT visit me as a ghost , as that would have scared me. :p I had 2-3 dreams about him that week , all of which , my father was very happy in all those dreams. I was the only one in my family who dreamed about him. I also was the only one who asked him to give me that sign. :shrug: :o

BenMax
August 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM
Animals and people who go over the bridge go whole. They are all perfect as they were intended. There is no anxiety, no issues, no illnesses and no behaviour problems.

All living things are like elastic bands. We snap back to the perfection that we once were.

Luvmypitgirls
August 24th, 2010, 02:02 PM
DogDancer, I can relate to your fears and anxiety. Not a day goes by that I don't think about my precious Ben~Ben, and wonder how he is doing at the Bridge.
He was a big gentle giant of a Golden Retriever, loved everyone he met, including other animals. So I picture him filling the role something like a Walmart Greeter.
I think he stands by the pillars of the Bridge, and welcomes all new comers with his big beautiful smile and his big beautiful tail waving in the wind. And when his shift is done, I believe he goes looking for the ones, that are shy or perhaps a little skittish, or sad that they had to leave their humans too soon, or didn't have a human and befriends them.
I think the Bridge is a wonderful place where all animals are restored and happy and I believe they look in on us from time to time.:grouphug:

ancientgirl
August 24th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I think it's like when people cross over. You cross over healthy and happy. I believe you continue to watch over your loved ones and wait for their time.

CsqU4r3d
August 24th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I believe when they get to the bridge they are restored not only physically, but psychologically as well. :thumbs up I love the Wally World greeter idea!! :angel2:

cpietra16
August 24th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Dogdancer...I am not sure what's out there but this story made me believe something is out there.

My friend lost her husband suddenly from a stroke. A few weeks before he died they adopted a puppy. They both loved this little puppy.
When he had his stroke, my friend called 911. The paramedics tried to revive him and quickly put him on a stretcher to get him to the nearest hospital.
In their haste, they accidently drove over the puppy. Needless to say the puppy died that day as well.

A few weeks passed and my friend got a call from her niece whom she hadn't seen in a while. The niece knew of the death but called to say that she had a dream about her uncle and she wanted to share it with her. She said that he was so happy in her dream, but she was a little confused about the dream. In her dream her uncle was holding a puppy. This was confusing to her because she never knew they had a puppy and she wanted to know who it could have been and why was he holding this dog.
My friend asked her to describe the puppy. She described the little puppy they had adopted just before his stroke.

What makes this interesting is this; her niece and her family were never told about this dog. They never had time to call people and let them know about their new adopted family member.
Since I heard this story, I can not but believe that there is a place where everyone waits until they are reunited.
I lost Bailey and Crunchie this month...a hard month, but I want to believe that they have been reunited with other who've passed away before them.I really need to believe this.

ancientgirl
August 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
cpietra16, that's an amazing story. How devastating for your friend.

I live with hope that there is some other plane of existence waiting for us after we have finished our time here. I don't think I would be able to stand this life if I thought I would never see those I've loved so dearly again someday.

mastifflover
August 24th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Animals and people who go over the bridge go whole. They are all perfect as they were intended. There is no anxiety, no issues, no illnesses and no behaviour problems.

All living things are like elastic bands. We snap back to the perfection that we once were.

I agree and if it is not true I do not want to know. I sometimes feel Buddys breath on my face when I lie down he would stand over me and put his head down to mine and sometimes when I go to bed I feel him around me. I also smell my mom's perfume out of nowhere

Dog Dancer
August 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Thank you guys all for your words. They do help. Cpietra what an amazing story. Your friend must take great comfort in that. I also believe there is something more waiting for us, although what that is I don't know. I believe there is a higher power out there, call that power God or anything that suits you. I truly hope, as I watch my girls grow old, and Shadow as her body slowly slowly is letting her down, that she will be happy when she is gone. I hope she can find her first "daddy" and they can keep each other company as they did before he died. I'm just having such a hard time watching my girl slip away, but who knows, maybe I'll get another year yet. :pray: Thanks for all your supporting words, it helps to know that others do feel the same way. It just hurts to know that one day I won't be able to be there for her.:( But I will be there for her when she goes if it's in my power.

BenMax
August 24th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Dogdancer...I am not sure what's out there but this story made me believe something is out there.

My friend lost her husband suddenly from a stroke. A few weeks before he died they adopted a puppy. They both loved this little puppy.
When he had his stroke, my friend called 911. The paramedics tried to revive him and quickly put him on a stretcher to get him to the nearest hospital.
In their haste, they accidently drove over the puppy. Needless to say the puppy died that day as well.

A few weeks passed and my friend got a call from her niece whom she hadn't seen in a while. The niece knew of the death but called to say that she had a dream about her uncle and she wanted to share it with her. She said that he was so happy in her dream, but she was a little confused about the dream. In her dream her uncle was holding a puppy. This was confusing to her because she never knew they had a puppy and she wanted to know who it could have been and why was he holding this dog.
My friend asked her to describe the puppy. She described the little puppy they had adopted just before his stroke.

What makes this interesting is this; her niece and her family were never told about this dog. They never had time to call people and let them know about their new adopted family member.
Since I heard this story, I can not but believe that there is a place where everyone waits until they are reunited.
I lost Bailey and Crunchie this month...a hard month, but I want to believe that they have been reunited with other who've passed away before them.I really need to believe this.

I have real live goose bumps.

Though I am not religious, I am spiritual. There is a place. I know there is.

No need to call the one strap jacket people for me just yet.:)

chico2
August 24th, 2010, 04:52 PM
You know,reading all your posts makes a believer out of me,not religious,but that somewhere at the bridge all my babies are.
I am watching my boy Rocky with a heavy heart,he is skin and bones,but eats and drinks heartily,enjoys coming outside with us,so I am hoping I do not have to make that fateful decision any time soon.:pray:
The thought of a space for him at the Bridge,meeting Sammy,Cookie,Peppi,Blue,Mishka and others,might help a little....:cat:

Sylvie
August 24th, 2010, 05:46 PM
[
I am watching my boy Rocky with a heavy heart,he is skin and bones,but eats and drinks heartily,enjoys coming outside with us,so I am hoping I do not have to make that fateful decision any time soon.:pray:

I know exactly what you are saying, I feel the same way about our Briar.

Luvmypitgirls
August 24th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure if I shared this on this forum before or not. If I am repeating myself forgive me.

DD, my mother underwent a very invasive surgery, and while she was in the hospital I was to take care of her cat Jake. He was a big, overweight orange Tabby, that had a personality as big as he was. More doglike than cat.
Anyway, Jake had been experiencing health issues. Some serious ones. They started about three weeks before my moms surgery, and became worse and worse as the surgery drew near.
My hubby and I took Jake to the vet a few times, only to be told he needs to go on a diet. Well when he came to stay with us when my mother was admitted in hospital, he became lethargic, and just wanted to hide. He had never been away from my mother before, so we figured it was stress, but wanted to be cautious so off to the vet we go. The vet tells us that Jake is dehydrated. Mom told us he wasn't eating or drinking much for a few days prior. So the vet injected him in the neck with Saline, which would slowly be absorbed into his body.
Next morning Mom had her surgery. The actually surgery went well but Mom had a serious adverse reaction to the anesthetic. She was in a coma for two days, and for those two days Jake rarely left his bed. He would nibble some wet food, use his litter and go back to his bed. When my mother came to, she was exhibiting symptoms of dementia. The doctor called us and told us that if she wasn't more coherent within 24-48 hours, her condition could be permanent, and that we would have to have her committed to a full care facility.
Day three we went to visit her in the hospital. It was horrific, she was in the process of being strapped down, after trying to attack two huge security guards that she was admantly accussing of murdering her family. They gave something to calm her down, and I tried to talk to her. She said some of the most bizzare things, like there was a lighthouse coming out of my head and that she knew I was a science experiment that was giving birth to millions of babies in the pool. Yeah...strange.
Day 4, her condition seemed to worsen, crying and screaming, completely paranoid, she was under the belief that she was going to be slaughtered and eaten. Meanwhile Jake's condition also worsened. We took him to the vet again, and once again he was injected with Saline in the neck, and I was told if no improvement came about by the next day to bring him back.
The next day came, but sadly not for Jake. We found him passed away in his bed, from what I believe was a broken heart.:cry: We wrapped him up in a blanket and took him to the vet, to be sent for cremation. I was devestated, I loved Jake. So did my mom, they were truly kindred spirits.
After the vet we headed to hospital, my only saving grace at the time, was that my mother was too out of it to understand what had happened, so I wasn't going to have to tell her at that moment in time. I doubted she even remembered Jake in her current condition, which hadn't improved.
We get to the hospital, and my cell phone rings. It's my son crying his heart out. Apparently while enroute to the hospital, my mother became suddenly coherent enough to request the nurses let her use a phone. She seemed completely normal, so they removed her wrist straps and allowed her to go to the nurses station to use the phone. She was able to dial our house, and when my oldest son answered all she said was.."Jake is dead. I know he's dead, tell your mom to come see me".
When we arrived in her room we found her sitting in a chair crying softly. I gave her a hug and she looked up and said to me "Jake is dead". I nodded and she cried a little harder. For about an hour she was completely normal, totally coherent to her surroundings. She told us that she woke up in the middle of the night to find Jake sitting on her chest. He went to her to say goodbye and tell her that he loved her so much. I knew this wasn't coincidence or a lucky guess on her part, and the fact that she woke up completely rational and able to call us, only substantiated her story for me.
Then after about an hour (ish) she started to again display signs of dementia.
It wasn't for about three days that she began to show improvement. It was truly one of the most bizzare moments of my life. She never did fully recover, from time to time she would do or say something completely off the wall, and then she would be fine again for a long period of time.
I drew a picture of Jake for her, and I know she cried every night when she climbed into her bed and he wasn't there to cuddle with.
Anyway sorry this was so long, but I just wanted to share this because, I truly believe our "pets", have spirits and that this place isn't the end.

ancientgirl
August 24th, 2010, 07:20 PM
LMPG, I am blubbering like a baby right now.:cry: I often sit and cry, thinking of the day when my babies are no longer living. It's stories like this one that gives me hope. I know they will live on, and I know they will be waiting for me.

14+kitties
August 24th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Shadowís side -

Donít worry Mom, Iíll be fine
Iíve been told there is a wonderful place
Where all my problems will be left behind
I wonít be scared when you arenít there
Instead Iíll be watching you from up there
Iíve heard in this place there is no pain
I can play, can run, can tumble down
Iíll be up so high; Iíll feel so free
Iíll miss you but I know soon youíll be with me
I'll find so many old friends up there
Theyíll keep me company till you can be near
Donít worry Mom, Iíll be fine

Dog Dancer
August 24th, 2010, 09:34 PM
LMPG, 14+, all of you. Thank you for these words. Though I am crying like a fool for reading them, they do help. LMPG what a lovely story. I hope this happens for me (well not the dementia part yet anyhow...). 14+ I truly hope that Shadow knows I would never stop being there for her.

Sylvie, your Rocky sounds like my Shadow. She is so thin now, and her walks are shorter. But she is happy and has moments of leaps and bounds. The vet suspects she has cancer but due to her age does not recommend putting her through any tests at this point. Even if we knew for sure what it was, the best would be paliative care so why put her through them. I hate to see her going bit by bit, but I'm giving her all the loving I can while I can.

binkybuff
August 24th, 2010, 10:59 PM
I know that this might sound a little crazy, but I tell the present animal, to go and find the ones at the rainbow bridge, and also say to "them" to watch for this one coming. To look after her/him, until I can come.

It makes me feel a little better, although, the tears still fall, and the heart is heavy.

As far as I am concerned, there will be one noisy welcome for me, when I arrive, with all the dogs and cats, that have gone on.

take care
binky

TeriM
August 24th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Sylvie, your Rocky sounds like my Shadow. She is so thin now, and her walks are shorter. But she is happy and has moments of leaps and bounds. The vet suspects she has cancer but due to her age does not recommend putting her through any tests at this point. Even if we knew for sure what it was, the best would be paliative care so why put her through them. I hate to see her going bit by bit, but I'm giving her all the loving I can while I can.

I know exactly where you are coming from with this DD. Lucy had a lot of mobility problems the last year and then her liver problems but she also still always had lots of those happy face moments which kept us fighting for her. I said to someone today that although I miss Lucy and am grieving for her at the same time I noticed how much stress is now gone. I never really noticed it at the time (and would do it all again for her) but the knowledge that the decision was imminent seems to have been with us for the last year at least. Even though my brain knows the decision was right I still have parts of me that scream I should have waited. Having Riley and the cats here have helped a lot, I can't imagine if I had to come home to no animals how much worse the pain would be :(. I have watched my Lucy video several times a day for a few days now and it helps to remember just how good our life together was.

I firmly believe that when they go to the bridge they are happy and healthy. I expect to see her with her old white face but she will no longer have pain. I also like to think that the bridge gets to visit heaven so she can check in on all the people I have loved and if someone that she loves happens to beat me to the bridge that they can cross together but still welcome me when I get there.

14+kitties
August 24th, 2010, 11:47 PM
DD - I have two old dogs myself. Every day I wonder if Keesha, at 16, will make it to see Christmas, Thanksgiving, even next month. Her eyesight is so bad. She hardly has any teeth left. Her hearing is going too. And Sammy, our 13 yr old labx. Everyone who meets her falls in love with her. She is so gentle. So sweet. She wouldn't hurt a flea. They are both showing their age. They are both incontinent. I clean the carpet about 5 times a day and can't help but wonder if I am doing them any favours in keeping them here. But then I come in from work and Keesha is so happy to know I'm here. Sammy meets me at my car door most days. Hubby says he can't make any decisions like that so, when the time comes, it will have to be mine alone. It scares me.
When I lost my baby boy in April at not quite three years old it just about did me in. I knew the time was near and made that appt. It was the hardest car ride I've even made. Brownie purred right up to the end as I kissed him and told him I loved him forever and more. The next day at work I felt a gentle brush against my pant leg. No one was near. No human could have done it. I believe Brownie was letting me know he was at the Bridge, happy and content. He came back long enough to reassure me. :cloud9:
The same as when I lost my mom two years ago. She used Stormy, my wild gal, to show me my penny from heaven I now wear around my neck.
There has to be a beyond greater than here on earth. One day we will all be surrounded by those we have had to say goodbye to. What a day that will be! There are so many old friends. God willing before we go we will have the chance to love many more. Shadow will be among the first to greet you so she can show you the ropes. I believe that mf. With all my heart. :grouphug:

Shaykeija
August 24th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Believing that I will see my beloved pets again is something I hold onto. They are the family I always wanted and wish to be with. They brought me so much joy. When my time comes, may I be surrounded by the ones who loved me most. My pets....

JennieV
August 24th, 2010, 11:59 PM
I just wanna say that this thread is comforting and strangely encouraging, to me anyway... And I don't want to go to Heaven if I can't bring my pets with me...all of them...

Dog Dancer
August 25th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Teri, I have followed your stories of Lucy over the past year, knowing that we live close to you and were following in your footsteps with our girls. When you lost Lucy it was like a deja vu for me with Shadow. It really brought it home to me that our future is looming. Like you with Lucy, I know when Shadow leaves me while I will miss her terribly a terrible stress and burden will be lifted from my shoulders. Since she was one Shadow has had SA and not a day has gone by that I haven't stressed over having to leave her in the car (which she is great with) or getting a dog sitter when it's too hot to leave her in the car (I'm probably the only one here who loves it when it rains because Shadow can stay in the car because it won't get hot...) I've given up a lot over the years to be there for Shadow 24/7 - like now hubby is in Italy but I could never board Shadow so I stayed home. Like you, I would do it all over again for her tomorrow if I had to. She is my soul dog I know. I showed my two previous dogs the way to the bridge when each was 7 years old. My two cats went to the bridge at 18. But I know for Shadow it will be so different. I really want to do right by her and not let her down. I also think I will know when the time is right, and it's not here yet, but you losing Lucy just really brings it home to me in a way other lost loved ones on the board has not.

14+ my friend, thank you. I hope I get a sign from Shadow that she is well after she leaves. Maybe it will come from Halo.

Binkybuff, I don't think you sound crazy. Shay and Jennie, I'm with you guys all the way. If my pets can't go to heaven I don't wanna go there either.

Anyhow, this thread has helped to lighten my heart a bit right now. I guess I have to stop fretting about "when it happens" and just get on with luvin' her up while we can. She was having a great day today, very happy and energetic, but tonights walk pretty much did her in. We only went about 1.5 km and we went very very slowly, but it's still a lot for her. I think she'll sleep well. She has been very sad lately with daddy away, I really look forward to him coming home in the hopes that it kinda perks her up again. So thank you all for your words and stories, they are heart warming and very uplifting for me.

TeriM
August 25th, 2010, 12:22 AM
DD I would be happy to watch Shadow for you if you need it :). Riley has lots of senior experience so he would probably be just fine with her.

or you can also hire growler which is what I plan to do next time we need a dogsitter :D.

Dog Dancer
August 25th, 2010, 12:30 AM
TeriM you are a sweetie to offer. Unfortunately Shadow, along with her SA is very dog aggressive. She's a b**ch. She does good with Halo, and usually puppies, but very few others. I have lots of neighbours here who love her to pieces and help out when they can if I have to go out. I have a few kids who dog sit for me and my son helps me when I'm stuck too. But seeing as she needs constant companionship she's a handful to say the least. But I love her no matter what.

I didn't know Growler did dog sitting. I'll have to keep that in mind. I know I'm not too far from her either. One day I'll have to invite you wonderful people over to meet my loving old girls. But I think I'll wait until hubby is home, this taking care of the house, working and doing the gardens alone is just too much work!!! :D

TeriM
August 25th, 2010, 12:35 AM
You should probably check with growler. I know with Duffy she needed to be home but seemed open to the idea when I broached it a while back :thumbs up.

I would love to get together with you and your girls :).

chico2
August 25th, 2010, 10:18 AM
LMPG,This is the third morning I am sitting here crying,your story about your mom and Jake is heart-wrenching but at the same time up-lifting.
Rocky and I are very,very close and I believe when he's had enough and has to leave,he'll never really leave me.

DD,Rocky is my Tabby-Boy,not Sylvies,her babies name is Briar.

Dog Dancer
August 25th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Chico, sorry about that, I guess the first part of Sylvie's post saying it was a quote was missing. I've been a blubbering idiot about this for days now so please excuse me. But I think we all know the feelings don't we. My two kitties lived to 18 before I had to send them to the bridge, but they'd had long happy lives so it wasn't so hard. Now Shadow has had a long and happy life by all means, but somehow it's just so darn hard thinking about losing her. I know it has to do with her being at my side day in and day out. She truly lived up to her name! :D (Note to self, don't name another dog Shadow...)

I truly wish you strength when Rocky's time comes. I know that letting them go peacefully is our final act of love as it will be with you and Rocky when it's time. :grouphug:

Luvmypitgirls
August 25th, 2010, 12:38 PM
LMPG,This is the third morning I am sitting here crying,your story about your mom and Jake is heart-wrenching but at the same time up-lifting.
Rocky and I are very,very close and I believe when he's had enough and has to leave,he'll never really leave me.

chico, my hubby and I still talk about that situation. When my mother passed away, I shared that story at her memorial service, everyone there knew how much my mother loved Jake.
I still cry from time to time when I think about it, but I too find comfort in it, because I know death is not the end, it's just the end of our time here.
:grouphug: