Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sick Kitty - Looking for any Advice :(

Kera
August 23rd, 2010, 10:44 PM
Nevermind. :( My kitty passed on last night hopefully to a better place. She will be greatly missed.

I'm new here and looking for anything that may help. My mom found this cat about 6 years ago and it lived in our shed for a bit, then eventually warmed up and started coming in. She's become a very adorable kitty and actually had some kittens of her own for us. Unfortunately one ran away last year and we don't know what happened. :( But now the mother has become ill and we are very confused.

She started losing weight about three weeks ago. She was healthily plump, but became quite skinny, and obviously much too quickly. It first turned out that she had crystals in her urinary tract, but things didn't get better... She didn't really want to eat and didn't seem to drink enough water.

So the second time in, they then said it was probably her kidneys, so they treated her for that. She looked a bit better and finally ate a few times, but the next day she wasn't looking too good and my mom brought her back in. My mom said that Kera had been meowing a few times likes she was in pain, so that's the reason she brought her in again. She was also pretty dehydrated so she went on an IV drop for a while.

They gave her some heavy drugs to apparently relieve the pain, which I'm not thrilled about. She was sedated and "out of it" so to say for many hours. They've ran some blood tests, checked her urine, and did an x-ray today. The x-ray apparently only showed that she was kind of gassy and bloated.

I thought it may be some kind of urinary tract infection, or the kidneys, but I don't know anymore. She apparently looked decent at times but then seemed to be in pain at others, especially in the night, my mother says. She was given Noroclav at first for the crystals, but my mom became hesitant of it when she saw her meowing in what seemed to be pain. Anyone know how long before Noroclav should take effect and help? Maybe she didn't have enough time? This all happened within the span of 4 days.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope our kitty gets better.

hazelrunpack
August 24th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Kera! :grouphug: It sounds like she got very lucky when your mom found her. You gave her a great 6 years and you can bet she appreciated all your love.

:candle:

AndreeaF
August 25th, 2010, 08:17 AM
She was a happy and lucky kitty for as long as you had her. May she rest in peace!:grouphug:

14+kitties
August 25th, 2010, 08:42 AM
:candle::rip: little one :candle:

cpietra16
August 25th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Kera, I am sorry for your Loss. I'm glad she finally made her way into your home and heart. She died in a loving environment. I'm sorry she lost the battle. :(
Rest in Peace.