Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mourning Leka..

Leka
August 20th, 2010, 10:25 AM
My beautiful Black Lab was put to sleep 2 days ago, due to cancer..
I am having a really tough time living without my 24 hour companion.. She was almost 15 years old, and is/was the most amazing caring dog I have ever had.

I feel amputated. A part of me is gone.

I wake up in the middle of the night, and watch my steps not to step over Lekaís bed.

I get up in the morning, and my companion for the last 15 years, is not with me. I give breakfast to myself, I donít open the backyard door anymore, and after breakfast, I donít come up upstairs and open the patio door for her to get her morning sun. At 10 am sharp, I donít hear her barks begging me to take her to the park..I donít go to the park no more.

She doesnít lay down by my side on the carpet while I work and I donít feel her nose on my lap asking for some love. Sheís not here anymore. Whereís my beautiful black lab? Where did she go?

She doesnít go up and downstairs with me, a 100 times a day if necessary.. just because I had to do this or that, and my buddy wanted to be there with me, side by side.

I cook alone now, will never trip on anything laying on the floor next to me again. I will never hear a little cry behind my neck asking for me to give her attention or a treat.

Will never lay on the floor and give her a thousand kisses and hugs either. Sheís gone. Where did she go? Where do dead wonderful perfect dogs go?

Will never feel a warm body underneath my foot when watching TV either. Nor will see a black head checking on me, while in a bathtub.. Wondering if I was drowned because she could not see my head.

No more 5 p.m. feedings, or treats at noon! At winter time, I wonít have to cover you with your favorite blanket and wake up in the middle of the night worrying that you uncovered yourself.

No more hide-seek play. Not for me.

Canít see my shadow anywhere.
http://www.rio-design.com/images/leka_park.jpg

Frenchy
August 20th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Sheís gone. Where did she go? Where do dead wonderful perfect dogs go?

I am so sorry for your loss , many of us here , know how hard it is to let them go. :grouphug: It's going to get better , the pain will let place to your wonderful memories of Leka.

You asked where did she go ? She's at Rainbow Bridge :candle:

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...."

Author unknown...

BenMax
August 20th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Leka, I am so very very sorry for your loss and most of all your broken heart.:(.

We all understand only too well the feelings of such sorrow and emptiness. One thing is for certain however, is that you provided unconditional love to your companion and this is a blessing.

Your grief will subside and all the wonderful loving memories will once again flood your heart. You will smile again and remember her with such fondness, but it does take time to get there.

I think of my dogs everyday it seems. I am capable now of looking at their pictures and smiling which I thought would never happen.

Bless your heart and find peace.

RIP dear pup.:rip:. Fun free and wild.

marko
August 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM
I am so sorry for your loss Leka, and i offer you my sincere condolences.

:rip: sweet Leka :candle:

Sincerely,

Marko

14+kitties
August 20th, 2010, 10:54 AM
So sorry for your loss. :grouphug:
:candle::rip: Leka :candle:

Leka
August 20th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I know it will take time..

I don't see my initial post anymore.. what happened?? Here it is again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

My beautiful Black was put to sleep 2 days ago. I am having a really tough time adjusting to life without my 24 hour companion. She was almost 15 years old and was/is the most amazing caring dog I ever had.

I feel amputated. A part of me is gone.

I wake up in the middle of the night, and still watch my steps not to trip over her. Her bed is still next to mine.

I get up in the morning, and my companion for the last 15 years, is not with me. I give breakfast to myself, I donít open the backyard door anymore, and after breakfast, I donít come up upstairs and open the patio door for her to get her morning sun. At 10 am sharp, I donít hear her barks begging me to take her to the park..I donít go to the park no more.

She doesnít lay down by my side on the carpet while I work and I donít feel her nose on my lap asking for some love. Sheís not here anymore. Whereís my beautiful black lab? Where did she go?

She doesnít go up and downstairs with me, a 100 times a day if necessary.. just because I had to do this or that, and my buddy wanted to be there with me, side by side.

I cook alone now, will never trip on anything laying on the floor next to me again. I will never hear a little cry behind my neck asking for me to give her attention or a treat.

Will never lay on the floor and give her a thousand kisses and hugs either. Sheís gone. Where did she go? Where do dead wonderful perfect dogs go?

Will never feel a warm body underneath my foot when watching TV either. Nor will see a black head checking on me, while in a bathtub.. Wondering if I was drowned because she could not see my head from where she was laying down.

No more 5 p.m. feedings, or treats at noon! At winter time, I wonít have to cover you with your favorite blanket and wake up in the middle worrying that you uncovered yourself.

No more hide-seek play. Not for me.

Canít see my shadow anywhere.

http://www.rio-design.com/images/leka_park.jpg

Frenchy
August 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I don't see my initial post anymore.. what happened??

It's still there , I just saw Leka's picture , she was gorgeous , I love older dogs , they have such caring faces. :cloud9:

marko
August 20th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Sorry for the post trouble Leka, should be fixed now. I'll leave this double post for a bit just to make sure, then I'll delete it.

My condolences again.

mastifflover
August 20th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I am so sorry. I know the feeling well but it does get easier as time passes just know you have a guardian angel watching over you

Shaykeija
August 20th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I am so sorry for your loss...

A candle to help guide her to the bridge....

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p99/neondesert/burning-candles.gif

Dog Dancer
August 20th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Leka so sorry for your loss. It's never easy but it's so inevitable. As the mom to two seniors myself and having lost several before, I know your sorrow. It will soften and loving memories will fill the void. RIP sweet Leka run free at the bridge and know that you will see your loving mommy again when the time is right.

binkybuff
August 20th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Having gone through this not long ago, my sympathies to you.

It is hard to get up and not do the 101 things we used to do with our "buddies" :rip:

I still cry over Nikki, and you will as well. Do let yourself grieve, non pet owners seem to think we can just get over it, but it does take time.:grouphug:

take care,
binky

Sylvie
August 20th, 2010, 02:43 PM
My heart goes out to you as I feel your pain. I have 2 seniors also and know the day is nearing for one of them. It will not be easy, but knowing that there are so many people on this site who share the grief does help a little.

:grouphug: to you.

:rip:

lindapalm
August 20th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I know how it hurts to lose a best friend, she was a very lucky dog to have such a loving owner, and I'm sure she repaid you for it many times over the years.

cpietra16
August 21st, 2010, 02:21 PM
Leka, I am so sorry for your loss. I know the feeling too well. my condolences.

Winston
August 21st, 2010, 03:36 PM
Leka I so know your pain like many others here! I recently lost my male cat Bomber after having 15 yrs. Your heart will feel broken but as others indicated it lessons each day and is eventually restored with all the wonderful memories you have of your precious pet. I dont think my heart will ever be the same but I know it will get better.

Run free to the bridge sweet one! Watch over your Mom till you meet again!

chico2
August 21st, 2010, 04:02 PM
So many wonderful tributes to a wonderful pup.
I don't know you or Leka(means play in Swedish)but your heart-wrenching post hit hard,it is so very difficult:(

Love the picture,love Lekas gray face,she had a wonderful,loving life and it shows.
She's gone to a place where there is no pain and she will be watching over you:grouphug: :rip:Leka

Monkey68
August 22nd, 2010, 02:13 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. My condolences. Death is never an easy thing despite its inevitability. Sometimes sharing ones life with a pet for such a long time gives us the illusion that their time with us in this realm will somehow last forever, thus making the inevitable so hard to bear.

Having lost two seniors and a young one recently I can say that what gets me through the dark days is the knowledge that I provided my pets with the best life possible and the appreciation of that special time that we shared.

You were lucky to share so many wonderful years with Leka and it is clear by your post how lucky Leka was to have you. I hope that with time you are able to use these memories combined with this knowledge to empower you and help you move forward when you are ready. Take all the time you need. Be well.

Dee-O-Gee
August 22nd, 2010, 09:18 PM
Leka, I can feel your pain reading your post and can relate. One of my first posts was similar back in 2009. You can feel this terrible ache in your chest and a huge feeling of emptiness but knowing she was a part of you for almost 15 years weights far more than sorrow. Now rather than feeling sad about our pets passing, I think back of the wonderful times we spent as a family.

Be strong Leka.

:grouphug:

:candle:

luckypenny
August 23rd, 2010, 10:37 PM
Where did she go?[/IMG]

She's still in your heart, where she's always been :grouphug:.

:candle: Leka

growler~GateKeeper
September 1st, 2010, 11:56 PM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Leka :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle: :grouphug: