Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Washing a pup without getting her wet??

Writing4Fun
September 11th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Well, Phoebe has now joined the ranks of spayed females (Bob Barker would be proud :p ). Isn't she the saddest looking thing ever? She was actually still quite stoned in this pic. She's a lot more lucid this morning, but that means that she's also a lot more scared (poor baby). She's terrified of the cone, but if I take it off of her, she immediately tries to get at her incision. So the cone stays on except for eating and drinking. Makes for an interesting potty break. I take her into the yard on her leash. She tries to sniff the ground, but the cone gets stuck. So she ends up standing there, funnel opening flat against the ground, tail wrapped securely between her legs. :(

My question is: She was so stoned that she peed all over herself during the night and didn't notice. So now she smells of urine, but I can't bathe her because I can't get the incision wet. I'm a little afraid of even trying to bathe her right now, because she's never had a bath before and will probably FREAK, which wouldn't be good for her stitches. Any idea how I can clean her up a bit without getting her wet? Or do we just have to live with it for a week?

Lucky Rescue
September 11th, 2004, 12:34 PM
You can take the cone off when you're watching her, like when you take her out to pee or when she eats. Just put it on overnight or when you're not home.

You can take a damp cloth and wipe her down (except on the incision of course)

Poor baby looks so sad!

Beautygirl
September 11th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Maybe use a baby wipe to clean her (not the incision of course).

melanie
September 11th, 2004, 08:05 PM
i personally would not take the risk of moisture in the area. it is only a week and the risk is too great for me, i would have a bit of smell rather than complications, leave it a week, it wont kill you to smell her, she probably thinks she smells great anyway :D

Goldenmom
September 11th, 2004, 08:42 PM
There is a waterless shampoo for dogs that smells great. You can very carefully try that on the area if you really can't stand the smell.

Heather

Writing4Fun
September 11th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks folks! :D Either I've gotten used to the smell, or she's managed to rub most of it off on my area rugs, because it doesn't seem to be as bad as it was this morning. :p I'll try the baby wipes (heaven knows I have enough of those lying around the house :rolleyes: ), but I don't know how much good they'll do since it's gotten deep into the fur. If the neighbors start complaining, I'll try the dry shampoo. :) And yes, Melanie, I'm sure she thinks it's just roses and is wondering what all the fuss is about! :p

Luba
September 11th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Ahhh and ha ha on being so stoned she peed on herself POOR baby!

Agree with taking the collar off if she's not goin after the stitches.

Writing4Fun
September 11th, 2004, 09:48 PM
She was at them constantly at first, but as the day wore on she started getting used to that new feeling "down there" and was actually able to take more than 3 steps without stopping to try and check things out. :rolleyes: I'm very much looking forward to having her back to her usual self, but I'm sure in a couple of days (when she's still supposed to be "resting"), she'll be driving me crazy trying to run around and play while I try to pin her down to relax!

goldenblaze
September 11th, 2004, 10:39 PM
I realize that being spayed is more painful than neuter but when I had Blaze neutered last month the Vet told me when I asked about playing and running she said let him do it when ready. And when I asked about licking the incision she said it is ok to lick some as it will help it heal and the hair growing back will make them want to lick aswell. The things we put the pets through even though it is all for the best.
Good Luck, poor girl that photo make me feel sorry for her.

glasslass
September 11th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Poor baby! Give her a hug and a kiss from DenDen and me! :o

Bugsy
September 11th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Poor sweetie actually looks likes she's cringing in the photo.

RX : hug & kiss every hour.

iRONKNiGHT
September 11th, 2004, 11:35 PM
lol the's funny.. and sad at the same time.. ohh well it's for the best :)
Trixy send's her a kitty to doggy nose kissy!