Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help !!

HuskyGirrl
August 18th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hey Guys,

Dog :

9 month old Siberian husky Jazz super smart, loving , great temperament. Female , spayed she is healthy and was until recently completely house trained. We had trained her so that she would go to the front door when needing to go do her "business ".

Problem- She has started doing her business in the house recently , she only every does this upstairs ( where its carpeted ) and mainly in one room and the upstairs hallway.

Changes - About a month ago we got another husky : ) , he is 3 month old male and he is quite dominant ( like her ). He however is basically house trained.

Facts - The dogs are not walked together , because they try and play while on leash. Jazz is always walked first in the morning because she needs a longer morning walk, she always does her business while we are out. She is walked three times a day at the local off leash dog park for about two hours ( 1 hour walking another hour or two socializing she is always off leash at this park . And she gets walks in between and when she needs to go.

She has been trying to eat the puppy's food , could that be why? We solved this by feeding them separately. The dogs get along well , and she has become protective over him when we are out , acting very motherly. I really don't know what to do! We have tried just about everything we started treating after she went outside.

Anyways if you have any ideas on how to fix this let me know I'm open to trying new things. We love her very much and just want her house trained again : )

Floppy Dog
August 18th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Welcome to puppy teen-age rebellion time combined with the "I want to establish my dominance" game.

Here's what we did for Lady's teen-age rebellion period.

We never let her have the run of the house, used doors and baby gates to keep her on the main floor (laminate) until bed time when she went into her kennel.

Made sure she had plenty of supervised play and treat time in any room where she peed on the floor and had supervised naps on the beds.

We never let Lady have free run of the house until she was over 2 years old.

As for the dominance, here's what we do when we dog sit my step-son's dog (who is younger and about 3 times larger than Lady).

Lady gets fed first, in the kitchen, in sight of Carter. When Lady is about half way through her food, Carter gets his at the opposite end of the kitchen.

At bedtime, Lady goes into her kennel at the foot of our bed and Carter gets to sleep on a pile of G-Man's clothes in the landing between the (closed) bedroom doors.

Hope there are some ideas you can use.