Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Goober!

Luvmypitgirls
August 18th, 2010, 01:03 AM
things are going really good with "Da-Goob". He and Kato are getting along great, we are addressing the dog to dog food aggression, but by the looks of things, the only solution to that issue is feeding him seperately. He has no issue sharing toys and sitting nicely with the other dogs for treats, but when the food bowls go down or there is human food in the room, it's a different story...a different dog.
So it looks like Goober (Ray aka Fred), is going to stay and be a part of our pack. :D I will be posting pics in the next couple days.

Love4himies
August 18th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Yay :thumbs up

Do you think the food aggression will subside over time, once he gets to know your current dogs? Or this something that is in his instincts and won't change?

Can't wait for the pics :D :lovestruck:

Luvmypitgirls
August 18th, 2010, 12:45 PM
Yay :thumbs up

Do you think the food aggression will subside over time, once he gets to know your current dogs? Or this something that is in his instincts and won't change?

Can't wait for the pics :D :lovestruck:

L4H, to be honest I don't have a lot of hope with getting Goob over his dog to dog food aggression. Jersey came to us with dog to dog food aggression, and we were able to work with her and deal with it, she can be fed side by side with Abby and Kato with no issue. However, Goobs dog to dog food aggression is far more intense than Jersey's was. Apparently this is a relatively new behaviour because at his long term foster home he ate with the other dogs and two cats with no issue whatsoever. However, he was in a foster to adopt situation just before we took him, and he came back with some healing wounds on his face and neck. So not sure what went down, but something happened to cause him to become this way. We learned about his dog to dog food aggression when he attacked Jersey for her food, Goober quickly learned that Jersey wasn't going to tolerate that crap.
We have to take the safety of the entire pack, including Goob's, into consideration and I truly feel the only way to deal with Goob's dog to dog food aggression is to feed him seperately. This also helps ensure that Goob isn't eating something that can make his allergy issues worse.
I've had success in the past dealing with dogs that displayed dog to dog food aggression as well as dog to human food aggression. We've tried a few things with Goob, but to be honest I don't see Goob being successfully fed with the other dogs.

Shaykeija
August 18th, 2010, 06:37 PM
We have a bit of food aggression with three of mine. Sir Quincy, HRH Missy the poo and Orphan Annie. Since Annie cannot hear we really have to watch out for her. She can't hear the snarling if she gets close to the others food. While we have had some spectacular sound effects,no one has been bitten. I am lucky mine are so small. I can grab them by their harnesses and lift them up like a 6 pack. Lady Tryra just backs off and lets them push her out of her dish. We stop this right away. They are only like this with food. Toys and sleeping space are ok, the little bums share that and their people nicely.

cassiek
August 18th, 2010, 08:23 PM
things are going really good with "Da-Goob". He and Kato are getting along great, we are addressing the dog to dog food aggression, but by the looks of things, the only solution to that issue is feeding him seperately. He has no issue sharing toys and sitting nicely with the other dogs for treats, but when the food bowls go down or there is human food in the room, it's a different story...a different dog.
So it looks like Goober (Ray aka Fred), is going to stay and be a part of our pack. :D I will be posting pics in the next couple days.

As in, Goober is staying with you forever? :lovestruck: If, so CONGRATS!

Luvmypitgirls
August 19th, 2010, 01:53 AM
As in, Goober is staying with you forever? :lovestruck: If, so CONGRATS!

Yes as in Goober is staying with us forever!!:D He's such a goob, he fits right in!:D

growler~GateKeeper
August 19th, 2010, 02:27 AM
Congrats Goob & LMPGs !!

:party: :thumbs up :highfive: :dog:

mastifflover
August 19th, 2010, 08:38 AM
What a lucky boy to end up with such a great mom Congrats on the new addition did we mention pictures........

Luvmypitgirls
August 19th, 2010, 11:29 AM
What a lucky boy to end up with such a great mom Congrats on the new addition did we mention pictures........

I know I've been bad at postin' pics.....I will get some posted I promise.

chico2
August 19th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Waiting,waiting,waiting:shrug:and please,pics of all the puppers,ok;)
I am soooo glad Goob,has a new wonderful home.

Dee-O-Gee
August 19th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Love the name LMPG and congratulations on your addition! :thumbs up

Foot is tapping, arms crossed--waiting for pictures! :whistle:

Luvmypitgirls
August 19th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Ohhhhh ok I'm going to go upload some right now....:D

Luvmypitgirls
August 19th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Pics have been posted in pet photography section.

chico2
August 20th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Oh,Oh...running to the pic-forum,full of anticipation:laughing: