Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

swollen flap of a dog

nazer4
August 17th, 2010, 02:53 PM
My golden retriever dogs right ear is swollen. What can it be ? I appreciate all suggestions. It not the inside. i have decided to take everyone advice and go to the vet. I have an appointment this afternoon. I will keep you informed. Since you want picture . How do you add pictures?

September 18, 2010 After the Vet visit
The vet wrote down in Swedish blodöra and haemaotits latin term and said look up on the internet. I could not find it on the internet because she wrote like a Doctor . When I called and spoke to her assistant who spelled it for me as Haemaotis after checking with her. The closest I could find was othematoma. She said it was not an insect bit. Just blood in the ear, In 2 weeks or a month it should go down. Her ear would shrink or be wrinkle a little. Otherwise let her know.
I am glad it is not a insect bit or something very serious The Veterinary also said she was nice and healthy
.Anyone know any nature remedies or experience with it

aslan
August 17th, 2010, 03:01 PM
are you talking about the actual ear or inside of the ear..the actual ear could be a bug bite/allergic reaction,,inside could be a sever ear infection. I would suggest taking the pup to the vet to check it out.

oh and welcome to the forum.

nazer4
August 17th, 2010, 03:11 PM
It is not the inside just a 5 inch swelling . Thank you for your comment

Marty11
August 17th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Check with the vet, but I think it's what my golden had. A blood vessel burst and the ear swelled up with blood. It was really full, felt like it could burst. Can be corrected with surgery but it's not necessary, it will go away but definately will come and go.

aslan
August 17th, 2010, 03:20 PM
nazer is the ear warm to the touch,,discolored,,etc,,since we're not vets we're basically just giving you idea's as to what it could be..could he/she have been stung by a bee?.

Winston
August 17th, 2010, 03:33 PM
My pup had a similiar thing happen except I beleive it was an earwig and the vet thinks it was a bee?? we will never know but I did take WInston in and glad I did because the vet said the swelling is painful to the dog.

You could try benadryl to assist with any itchies but ultimately the vet is the best plae to confirm that. Did your dog suffer an trauma to the ear because that would also indicate a reason for swelling?

Cindy

hazelrunpack
August 17th, 2010, 03:54 PM
If it's a thickening of the flap itself, it could be a hematoma, nazer4. If it's a 5-inch hematoma, it will likely need to be drained. They can heal by themselves, but when they're that big, they normally don't heal cleanly--the ear ends up sort of 'cauliflowered'. A vet will lance it, then baste it open so the blood and sera can drain.

Dee-O-Gee
August 17th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Does your Golden like to eat flies or bees? When we had our Golden, her ear would swell after playing and consuming a bee. One ear would puff out and feel very firm however; usually by the next day it was gone.

If your Golden's ear is as swollen as 5 inches, I would agree with the others in that a quick visit to the vet may be just the answer.:thumbs up

mastifflover
August 18th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Hazelpack I think you got it Buddy used to get Hematomas from the severe ear infections he used to get. If it is a hematoma before you do surgery get him on antibiotics and wait a couple of days. Buddys used to go down and be almost gone in about 3 days. If it does not go down then surgery. Does the dogs ears smell bad? Smell and head shaking are the some of the first signs of an ear infection. The vet always prescribed Baytril drops and pills we found these to be the best for Bud.

nazer4
August 18th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Thank you and you were right but the Vet did not want to open it up just wait 2 weeks to 1 month.