Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Scrathes on cat's nose

squirt19
August 17th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Hi,
I don't think this is very serious but strange,
My cat who Co-oinsidently (maybe not) just returned from being away for 2 weeks, has a weird, what seems like a scratch on his nose. Since he has returned over 2 weeks ago, I am not sure if the being gone and this are related.

Couple of days ago I noticed a red spot on his nose, under his eye, like a zit, but half way between his eye and tip of nose, left side of the nose under the fur.

The next day I saw him and it looked like he had been scratched, three streaks if you will running down his nose. I do have another cat but when I looked closer it didn't look so much like a scratch, it had a clear (liquid?) with a tinge of blood, much like when I pick a scab off of me. so looks like healing really.

I thought it may have been from an attempt to open a sliding screen door, but today I see it seems to have gone to his right side of the nose and he could not attempt to open the door with that side and there is really nothing sharp on the door to scratch him.

I know that some times he used to get what seemed like a cold sore on his chin, and this is similar, I am quite sure it is not a scrath, and he is eating and drinking just fine, bathroom as much as usual.

Is it possible it is some skin irritation or is there a common ailment that makes what appears to be a scratch on cat's noses?

I forgot to add that it in no way seems to bother him so I dont think it is serious but it could be a sign of something worse.

Thanks.

mikischo
August 17th, 2010, 01:19 AM
You mentioned a clear liquid. Does it appear to be pus? Does there appear to be any swelling?

squirt19
August 17th, 2010, 06:58 AM
You mentioned a clear liquid. Does it appear to be pus? Does there appear to be any swelling?

I guess you could call it puss, though not the yellowy discolored stuff. Definitely emanating from his body so puss I guess, just like the clear liquid that seems to seep from my healing cuts.

seems to be a slight swelling but it also doesn't seem to bother him to touch the area.

14+kitties
August 17th, 2010, 10:56 PM
Seeing as your cat recently returned from an adventure and now has some infection I would be taking him to the vet. It sounds like he was in a scrap or two while he was away from your home and now has an abscess. It should be looked at by a vet and he should be given antibiotics for the infection.
Please also have your vet draw blood and check for diseases your cat could have picked up from other cats during the fight(s). Let us know how he is doing. :fingerscr

mikischo
August 18th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I, too, would suspect an abscess, likely caused by a bite from another cat. When a cat gets bitten by another cat, the puncture wound is small and seals over quickly so may go unnoticed, but often it will become infected and an abscess (pocket of pus) will develop under the skin. The swelling you mention is possibly due to the accumulation of thicker pus that is not able to escape. These infections can get quite nasty so it would be best to take him to the vet. The vet will likely lance the wound so it is able to drain and prescribe antibiotics to fight the infection and hasten healing.

You might also wish to discuss with the vet when is an good time to have him tested for diseases. If you have this done, it is usually best to wait until several weeks after possible exposure because it takes a while after exposure for diseases to test positive (I believe after 28 days for FeLV and after 90 days for FIV). Also there is a possibility of false positives, and a positive test for FeLV indicates exposure, but not necessarily clinical disease.

squirt19
August 18th, 2010, 04:53 PM
The only problem with your assesments is he came back clean as a whistle, no marks, no bites on his face.

the marks/zit I referred to appeared a good 2 weeks after his return.

14+kitties
August 18th, 2010, 10:32 PM
The only problem with your assesments is he came back clean as a whistle, no marks, no bites on his face.

the marks/zit I referred to appeared a good 2 weeks after his return.

The thing is with abscesses they can be healed - on the surface. But deep down the poison is working it's way to the surface.
Years ago I had an indoor kitty get out and immediately get into a fight with a cat that was outside. I got him back in within five minutes and could find not one mark on him. Two weeks later he had an abscess on his shoulder that he had licked open and the poison poured out. I had to treat him with antibiotics and put salve in the abscess for quite some time afterwards.
I guess the only way you are going to find out is to take him to the vet for a check up, right? :shrug: We aren't vets. We can only give you suggestions for what it might be.