Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Looking for Advice

Chris_001
September 11th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Ok, I admit it, I've been browsing and lurking for a few weeks now :)

We're getting a new standard poodle puppy from a breeder in a couple of months (litter #1 just arrived this week, litter #2 is due next week). We could really use a little advice on a couple of things:

1) Food - recommendations are Purina Pro Plan, Nutro and Wysong (?) I have yet to find the last one. The breeder's dogs are currently on a raw food diet but I'm not even going to pretend that I'll have enough time to compile something myself - unless someone knows of a supplier?

2) Dog obedience - this is a definite. I'd appreciate any recommendations from anyone in the Newmarket-Aurora area.

3) Veterinarians - same as above. I'd really like to hear some good things before resulting to combing the yellow pages.

Our main problem is that we recently relocated and don't have any family or friends in this area.

Thanks very much for any info and I look forward to posting (and lurking) with all of you in the future!

Christine

LavenderRott
September 11th, 2004, 08:50 AM
My best advice to you would be to find another breeder. No ETHICAL breeder would have two litters of puppies "on the ground" at the same time.

Purina is crap dog food. You can buy raw prepackaged, but it is a bit pricey. It really doesn't take that long to prepare a raw food diet for your dog. I can feed both of my girls in about 2 1/2 minutes. I cook about once a month for them. Huge batches of dog stew and most of it goes in the freezer to be taken out as needed.

Chris_001
September 11th, 2004, 08:56 AM
LavenderRott -

Rest assured that we have done our research and this IS an ethical breeder. We wouldn't put ourselves in a position to take a dog from someone otherwise.

Thanks for the input.

Goldenmom
September 11th, 2004, 09:20 AM
I'm not from your area, so can't help you out on obedience or vet.

I feed my 3 Golden Girls Nutro, have from day one. I like it very much and know many people that have their dogs on it with great results, meaning shiny coat, no ear problems or allergies.

Good luck and how exciting to be getting a new pup.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

chico2
September 11th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Chris,Purina in any form is not good food.My petfood-supplier www.renspets.com
carries Wysong,but I've never tried it.
Wellness,Nutro,EaglePack are a few good foods.
As for vets,ask other dog-owners you meet,I am sure they would be eager to recommend a good vet.
You must be really excited about your new pup,as I have only cats I cannot advice you on obedience-school,but I am sure someone else can.
Keep lurking :D this is a great place in case you run into trouble.

Cactus Flower
September 11th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the boards! And congratulations on becoming a new pup-parent!
PLEASE post pictures as soon as you get some.

I don't have any advice beyond what's already been given, sorry. Just wanted to say hello, and I'm glad you joined! Looking forward to seeing more posts from you in the future (especially with pictures.... :D ).

heeler's rock!
September 11th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Hi chiris! I feed raw food to my dogs and I use Mountain Dog Food. It's already packaged for you and all you do is add the supplements you want in there. Their website is www.mountaindogfood.com. They aren't as expensive as others because their meat isn't certified organic, but they do check into their farmers they get it from. Hope that helps.

As for trainers, I would look for someone with poodle experience as they can be quite stubborn and need a firm hand. I wouldn't recommend treat training or using a halti as those don't teach you how to be alpha with your dog. They just hide the problem, like a mask. EG. If you're at the park and your dog is treat trained and he/she runs off. You call her, she doesn't come. You keep calling and just repeating yourself. You realize you don't have any treats and that's why she's not coming to you. You really have NO control....
You want to have a mutually respectful relationship with your pet.PM me if you want some more tips..... :D

Do you mind if I ask how old your puppy will be when you bring her home? Could be a huge factor in training later on.....

Anyways, congrats on the new baby and I wish you a strong, healthy, and happy relationship!!!!!! :D

sammiec
September 11th, 2004, 10:10 AM
I too had little support from friends and family when I moved to my area. What I did was go to the vet and meet them and see their facilities. You can tell a lot by a waiting room I think... if there are cards from patients, comfortable place to sit and lots of photos of clients. One vet that I meant treated us like it was a mechanic - get them in and out as soon as possible, means more money! Needless to say my pets never met him. It's trial by error I think. Someone can recommend you a vet, but their idealistic vet might be completely opposite of a vet that you would like for you and your pets.

I hope that you're right about your breeder, that does sound like a VERY quick time to have litters on site. I'm sure that you've met the parents and seen the facilities and are comfortable with everything.

As for dog food... Many people have many different ideas. I know of some rescues and vets and shelters that use Pro Plan, Alpo and MediCal. It's a very broad range and many people feel very strongly that what they feed is the best.

I would suggest that you do a little research yourself and find something that you're comforatble with. It's important that the food has little to no byproducts and any corn. Corn is indigestiable and just a filler. I personally found some old threads here and talked to my vet, talked to pet food suppliers and then made my decision. We have recently changed our food brand and are happy with Wellness.

Oh, and WELCOME!!! Kepp learking and posting!!! And please, don't be shy with the pictures! We love pictures!

Writing4Fun
September 11th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Hi Christine, and Welcome! Too bad you're not a little further North. I'm near Barrie and would be able to refer you to a vet and an obedience school there. The few friends I have in the Newmarket/Aurora area don't have pets, so they can't help us either. :rolleyes: Even if you do get referrals, though, I'd still advise as SammieC said - visit them before taking your pooch. Trust your instincts when you meet them.

As for food, I'm still trying to figure it all out myself :o . I'm trying to work out the difference between Wellness (who have great ingredients but don't make a Large Breed Puppy formula, which has me concerned, and they are also hard to find), Royal Canin and Nutro (which are both available at PetSmart).

I'm sure some of the more "seasoned" members of the board will have excellent advice for you very soon, so please sit tight. Looking forward to seeing those puppy pics! :D

glasslass
September 12th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Yeaaaa!! A poodle puppy! Can't wait to see pictures! If I had the room, I'd love to have a standard! There's a size for everybody! Mine's a miniature; my mom's is a toy. Poodles are really special! Not the frou-frous most people think they are! I'm looking at a picture on my calendar. I'll share it with you so it'll make the waiting easier . . or . . maybe harder! :p

Writing4Fun
September 12th, 2004, 04:32 AM
Oh, glasslass, they're beautiful! The one in the middle looks like he's wearing a toupee! :p LOL! Nope, they are NOT frou-frou at all! Aren't they actually hunting dogs, right up there with such "manly" breeds as Labs & Setters? :D

goldenblaze
September 12th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Oh Glasslass how cute :D I would take all three of them. I grow up with poodle's my mother still has one she is 9yrs black just a little thing of 9 pounds :)

Chris_001
September 12th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks everyone for the input!

I'm going to nix the Purina idea and look into the Nutro. We have dogs on either side of us so I'm going to poll the neighbours and see if they have any vet recommendations. I think we're on our own concerning obediance but I'm going to make some calls and some visits.

Glasslass - thanks for the pic. We saw two little boys that looked just like that a little while ago. I'm so torn between colours, I think we'll visit the litter and just let the puppy pick us with a little matchmaking by the breeder.

No frou-frou dogs here, not if my husband has anything to say about it (and he's going to be doing the grooming)! Just pray that the poor thing doesn't end up with a Nike swish down the side or something :eek:

Christine

MBRA518
September 12th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Another brand to check out is Performatrin Ultra, from Pet Valu, I switched my Rottie to it a month ago and even though she looks great before (shiny coat - good weight)... she looks even better now.

Regardless of what you choose I found that the Pet Valu Stores seem to have the largest selection of high end foods. The Pet Smart type stores seem to only have the advertised brands - which usually are not the best quality.

meggie1425
September 12th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Hey, what a small world, i live less than 10 mins. north of newmarket :D Unfortunatly i dont have a dog (not yet anyway...) but my god mother has a dog she takes to this vet in newmarket. I went there once with her and it seemed like a very friendly place (there was even a photo album in the waiting rooms of all the animals that go there) i cant remeber what it was called,(But its a few minutes down from the movie theatres and the vets name was Dr. Sugar :D ) but i'll ask my god mother if you want... Ill also ask her were she took her dog to obedience training, good luck with you new pup!!
-Megan

Luba
September 12th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Say would you be interested in adopting a poodle instead of buying from a breeder?

If not, no harm in sharing this anyway:

(5) months old look at this!!
http://www.petharbor.com/get_image.asp?RES=Detail&ID=A080510&LOCATION=TRHS
www.torontohumanesociety.com
This DOG - ID#A080510

I am a male, white poodle min mix.

The shelter thinks I am about 5 months old.

I have been at the shelter since Sep 11, 2004.
This information is less than 1 hour old.
Back To List For more information about this animal, visit:
Toronto Humane Society
Ask for information about animal ID number: A080510

RIDDLE - ID#A091075
http://www.petharbor.com/get_image.asp?RES=Detail&ID=A091075&LOCATION=HMLT
I am a female, white terrier mix. POODLE LOOKALIKE!

The shelter thinks I am about 1 years and 0 months old.

I have been at the shelter since Sep 02, 2004.
This information is 5 hours old.
Back To List For more information about this animal, call:
Hamilton SPCA at 905-574-7722 ext: 305
Ask for information about animal ID number A091075

Cflat
September 12th, 2004, 08:01 PM
I sincerely wish you would reconsider a breeder and adopt. A bit down the road the fact that you bought from a breeder will not matter. As for food, I feed Nutro ( on the lower end of the scale) but depending on your budget there are better food. Wysong, Canadae, Wellness, Solid Gold, Chicken Soup are all good foods. I'm afraid I would not suggest Performatrin. It is a house brand food made by a grocery store brand manufacturer. I'm not bashing those that feed it because if your dog does well on it it feed it.

goldenblaze
September 12th, 2004, 08:36 PM
I sincerely wish you would reconsider a breeder and adopt. A bit down the road the fact that you bought from a breeder will not matter. As for food, I feed Nutro ( on the lower end of the scale) but depending on your budget there are better food. Wysong, Canadae, Wellness, Solid Gold, Chicken Soup are all good foods. I'm afraid I would not suggest Performatrin. It is a house brand food made by a grocery store brand manufacturer. I'm not bashing those that feed it because if your dog does well on it it feed it.

I don't believe that Nutro is a low end food. Budget has nothing to do with it for me. I will feed a food that my dogs do well on and again Nutro is not cheap. I pay 50.00 per bag and that is not pennies. Performatrin I am told is good but would not like to buy a food that can only be found at one store. Nutro can be bought from many pets store's but not grocery store. I believe it is to each their own but again Nutro is a good brand of food.