Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My prescious Ladybug

tobasco7
August 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Our dog, Lady, started having seizures last Tuesday night. She had 2 that night, went to the vet and he thought maybe it was her liver and B vitamins could reverse it as well as a change in her diet. It didn't get better and she had at least 3 more on Wednesday so we started her on Phenobarbitol. It got to where everytime she went to sleep she had a seizure even on the Phenobarb. She was afraid to sleep and would lay and just stare into my eyes so anxious and scared. She had over 20 seizures in 2 1/2 days. Each one took a little more out of her. We think she lost her vision the last few hours but never lost her sweet disposition. Would come close and just want to smell us and hear us. We tried to comfort her and keep her calm but the seizures got closer and closer together. She was suffering so. I don't think she was in pain but was so frightened and confused and anxious and we couldn't do anything to stop it. We called the vet (again) and she met us at the office at 11 pm and while my husband held Ladybug she took her last breath. He said it took about 30 seconds and she didn't want to go but she did because he told her to and because she was a good dog.

Rgeurts
August 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM
How very sad! :cry:
I'm so, so sorry for what you and your dh had to go through.
At least you didn't let her suffer, you did what was best for her :(
Big :grouphug: to both you and your dh.

:rip:Ladybug:angel2:

CsqU4r3d
August 16th, 2010, 03:55 PM
I am sorry to hear of ladybugs passing...you did what was best...My sympathies to you and your husband:angel2::cry::candle:

tobasco7
August 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
thank you so much. we know that we did the right thing but it doesn't stop me from wondering. if we had just waited awhile longer would the seizures have stopped? i just miss her so much. she just lived to love us. that's all. now she's just gone and i can't help replaying it over and over in my mind. the last time she looked at me, her scrabbling at the door at the vets office when i had to leave her there for them to watch her to try and regulate the medicine. i wish i had just held her and held her the last 24 hours of her life with us. i should have called in to work and just loved her. i had to go out of town so my daughter, son and husband were the ones who were home with her when the seizures started again. i could hear her labored breathing and high pitched crying over the phone. my daughter laid on the floor with her and said she crawled up on her and put her head on her shoulder and cried and just wanted to be held. i never really thought we could lose her.

hazelrunpack
August 16th, 2010, 10:39 PM
:grouphug: You can only do the best you can, given the circumstances and you did all you could...so no regrets, k? Ladybug knows she was loved, and she could feel that love as she crossed. What better gifts could any of you have given her?

She loves you back, even now, you know. And she'll watch over you till you meet again.

Find peace, tobasco7, and heart's ease.

:grouphug:

:candle: Ladybug

tobasco7
August 18th, 2010, 12:18 PM
thank you, your kind words have really helped. it's been 6 days. i've stopped looking for her in the house now. yesterday i saw a big huge complete rainbow and i thought of her. i've been having these "visions" of a puppy with Ladybug's eyes running to me. i keep looking for this puppy wherever i go. i feel very strongly that this will happen. i don't know why. i don't know if my husband will agree to another dog and i don't really think that another dog will replace her but it could help relieve this emptiness. i will wait until i'm through with my grieving to decide but i keep hoping i will open my door and this sweet fluffy black and white border colley/blue heeler puppy will be sitting there just wanting to be part of our family. and my husband won't be able to resist.

growler~GateKeeper
August 19th, 2010, 03:23 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Lady :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle: :grouphug: