Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Prong Collars

Iggette
September 11th, 2004, 06:54 AM
I just took a quick peek at the link posted for prong collars, bookmarked it for later, when I have more time for reading...(to busy reading pets.ca right now...lol)

When My daughter was last at my place she had a prong collar on Diesel as soon as I saw him I was horrified at the look of it, but read a few postings that this would be better than a choke collar re damage done to the neck.

Need to do a little more research but I am almost considering one for Buddy any more thoughts?

Cactus Flower
September 11th, 2004, 07:16 AM
You are going to probably going to get some emotional responses about prong collars. They do look a bit barbaric.
I have seen them work, when all else failed. I personally would use one if I really needed to. Usually they are not necessary for long-term use, and are effective training tools.

LavenderRott
September 11th, 2004, 07:21 AM
I use one on Missy whenever she needs to go out on a leash. She isn't the sharpest pencil in the box and will choke herself to the point of vomiting with any other type of collar.

Iggette
September 11th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Cactus Flower.....I kinda expect that but I would like to hear pros and cons so thats ok......

LavenderRott.....Buddy is a little dopey as well.....smart dog but all he does is choke and cough and it really bothers me ....he is a very strong dog and has no delay in jumping and pulling on a lead.....with his desire to run as he doesn't do that anymore (not allowed due to bad hips)

Goldenmom
September 11th, 2004, 08:26 AM
You are going to find many pros and cons. A good healthy debate is useful for these types of things.

I have the opinion that when correctly, the prong collar can be positive and useful. Here is an excerpt from friend that uses the prong on one of her 4 Goldens.

"I think most forms of training if not done correctly can become abusive. I use different methods with all my dogs. And I do use a prong collar for 1 of them. She's a sweetheart dog but very high energy and dominant. If I didn't she would choke herself silly on a choke collar, or drag me around the room on a flat collar. She is tormented by a head collar and wont focus on me. The prong settled her enough to focus and she is coming along wonderfully. I now use a choke collar with her and only occasionally go back to the prong. I have 3 others that have done all their training on a flat collar. The other 3 all have been trained with a choke collar. I am far from abusive with my dogs. I love them dearly and the prong collar does not change that"

I don't need to use one on my own dogs, but I do know many head strong Goldens that do need it and it works. It doesn't pierce the skin or make them cry out, when used correctly.

JMO
Heather

heeler's rock!
September 11th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Hey Iggette! The key words here are "when used correctly".....I find that most people I have seen with prong collars don't know how to use them. If you are going to use them, get some training on how to properly give a correction so you're not hurting the dog, but startling it. I too agree that they are quite effective when used properly. :D

Lucky Rescue
September 11th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I used a prong once on a foster who was so strong and untrained that she could literally pull me out unto the road!

As everyone said, properly fitted and used, a prong is much more humane than a choke collar although it looks barbaric.

Prongs - like any training device - should be used in conjunction with training.

Here is an article with very clear pictures on how to properly fit this collar.

Also, make sure you have a backup collar on the dog as well, in case the links of the prong come apart. What I did was use a nylon choke collar that was too big for the dog and attach that too.
Leerburg Prong collar (http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm)

Spoiled
September 12th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Prong collars are good for:

Uncontrolable dogs
Dogs who often lunge when excited
Aggressive dogs
Dogs who jump up so much they do damage
Dogs who are too strong for the owner to control and not trusted without one
Dogs who have uncontrolable pulling

I wouldn't use it unless it was one of these.

melanie
September 12th, 2004, 08:59 PM
the use of prong collars and choke collars is fine if the user is very well trained in their use and application. both products can be dangerous, damaging and cruel if used by an untrained person.

i have used a choke chain all my dogs life as it was the done thing when we went to dog school and she wont accept anything else. i have used it successfully for years and my gal is happy. but i have seen ppl do horrible things to dogs using a choke so it can go both ways, if you do not learn to use it in a proper environment it is probably not worth using as it wont be effective and potentially very dangerous and cruel..it is the same for the prong.

just remember when using any such product to always supervise your animal the whole time it is wearing it. dogs have been known to hang themselves or choke when left unattended in these products such as when tied up outside the shops or elsewhere. if you go to the shops take another collar with you for tie up.

and if you use any products that do pinch etc, make sure you put it on your arm and feel what it is like when pulled tight to be sure you really think it is appropriate for your needs and dog.

are you going to dog school, what are they using??

Writing4Fun
September 12th, 2004, 09:05 PM
I agree - any of these training tools (prong collars, halti's, etc...) need to be used in conjunction with training. I see far too many people (acquaintances) out there with the choke or prong collars or head halters on 100% of the time, figuring the collar will do the work for them and they don't have to spend the time or money on training. Meanwhile, their poor dogs are strangling themselves on the ends of their leashes. Or the person on the other end of the leash is so dismally inadequate in terms of body weight that even the most vicious of collars won't stop the dog from taking their walker for a body surf down the pavement. :rolleyes:

Iggette
September 14th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Thank you all for your opinions

LR....That site was very informative for many things as well as prong collars.

Delirium
September 14th, 2004, 08:38 AM
Obviously were talking different degrees of craziness but I just have to add that Gentle Leaders are friggin awesome. I got one for my foster who is 50 pounds of beagle that likes to yank your arm off when he walks. Now, after two walks, he's amazing.

Again, my foster is just yanky, not aggressive etc. etc. but I thought i'd add my two cents in case anyone had a lesser case and wasn't sure of options.

Dee