Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wild bunny HELP

babymomma
August 11th, 2010, 01:53 PM
The dogs just caught a baby bunny :'( . its not really hurt bad i dont think.. but he wouldnt move after i got the dogs off of him/her , i think more out of fear.. But i put him in keelys puppy crate that she no longer uses with grass and a bowl of water... hes tiny.. he can fit in my hand and he was all alone . What can i do? i called my mom and shes looking into a place that takes in injured wild animals or some place that will take him/her..I cant just let him go not knowing if hes okay or not.. i just cant.. He squealed alot when they were chasing him/her but only then. If i cant find a place to take him/her i'll take him/her to the vet myself. And get my dad to make an outdoor enclosure for him. Until he gets bigger. I know my uncle had two babies and kept them .

I seriously hate my dogs at times :'(

JennieV
August 11th, 2010, 02:12 PM
The dogs just caught a baby bunny :'( . its not really hurt bad i dont think.. but he wouldnt move after i got the dogs off of him/her , i think more out of fear.. But i put him in keelys puppy crate that she no longer uses with grass and a bowl of water... hes tiny.. he can fit in my hand and he was all alone . What can i do? i called my mom and shes looking into a place that takes in injured wild animals or some place that will take him/her..I cant just let him go not knowing if hes okay or not.. i just cant.. He squealed alot when they were chasing him/her but only then. If i cant find a place to take him/her i'll take him/her to the vet myself. And get my dad to make an outdoor enclosure for him. Until he gets bigger. I know my uncle had two babies and kept them .

I seriously hate my dogs at times :'(

BM, is he moving? is he breathing? try to cover the crate with something, so he cant be seen. Bunnies can get scared to death, so it is important not to disturb him more than you NEED to. The sqealing was probably fear and calling for help. when you picked him up was there any blood?
Small bunnies are also very squirmy and can get hurt easily, so when you will be moving him make sure to be very careful. Try to lock the dogs away before you approach the cage, be very quiet and no sharp movements. Talk to him in a quet voice, keep calm. Best for him is if you CAN bring it somewhere to be checked up and make sure he is ok. Then, see what they tell you, if theres a way to release him around the place he was caught at...

hazelrunpack
August 11th, 2010, 02:28 PM
babymomma, if the bunny is larger than a chicken's egg and fully furred, it's okay to be out on its own (they're early bloomers :D) They do scream horribly if they're attacked, whether or not they're hurt. :o It didn't run when you put it down because for the first day or so out of the nest they have a freeze (instead of a run) instinct when faced with danger.

Provided the dogs didn't hurt it, it should be just fine to release near where you found it. It's no longer relying on Mom for food, so anywhere near there away from the dogs' area would be good. If there aren't too many stray cats about, putting it under some bushes might be a good choice. Provided it's not too stressed, it should take off on its own once it thinks the danger is gone.

The problem with keeping it in a kennel is that baby rabbits stress out very easily in confinement or if they're handled and it can kill them. So if you don't think the dogs hurt it, letting it go is a good choice. :thumbs up

JennieV
August 11th, 2010, 02:38 PM
UGH, I just realized that um, hazel is kinda right, being that this is a wild bunny... LOL... talking to it will probably stress it even more...:rolleyes:
Yeah, i would follow Hazel's advice on this.

Sylvie
August 11th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Yup, Hazel is right.

A few years back we found a baby rabbit and did the same as you.

When we called the wildlife lady, she advised us to put it outside that when it felt safe it would leave. Sure enough, within 5 minutes it hopped off into the field. She also told us to be careful if we handled the baby as it would just jump without notice and could hurt itself if we had it up to high.

Good luck.

babymomma
August 11th, 2010, 11:32 PM
The wild life people said the same as you hazel :o im not good in these sorts of situations.. I get way too emotional. :frustrated: lol..

we let her go but she stayed around our back yard all night.... There was no blood or anything and she could move so she should be fine.. but shes only a baby :yell: and theres owls. ...

I hate nature sometimes :frustrated: :shrug: lol.. I keep worrying about him/her.