Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

lost cat MONA

brian p-a
August 7th, 2010, 07:15 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v191/bignothing/IMG_0276.jpg

Mona disappeared sometime friday afternoon, between 2 and 5PM.
we live near downtown Oshawa. Drew st. area.

she is small built. very dark grey with no markings.
quite skittish and will not come to you if you call.
likes to hide under things.
perhaps seen last near Eulalie and James St.

if any sightings please msg me or call 905.571.4314.

thanks,brian.

hazelrunpack
August 7th, 2010, 11:09 PM
She's a beautiful cat, Brian! I hope she comes back to you quickly!

Dog Dancer
August 7th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Good luck finding Mona. You will find lots of tips in these threads about searching for your lost kitty.

brian p-a
August 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM
spent the night up listening for her.
went out and banged her dishes, shook treat bags and called for her.
searched the neighborhood at 3am and from 6-8am,
with cat carrier, flashlight and treats.
still nothing.
had a few calls from people who've read my signs, but there are a few grey strays around tho not identical who be easy enough to mistake them for her.
still hoping.
she was a stray before she came to us so i hope that serves her and us well thru this.

mikischo
August 8th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I'm sorry you have lost Mona. She is a gorgeous girl.:lovestruck:

Here is a link to a thread with some addition tips on things to do when a kitty is missing:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69919

Hope you find her soon.:fingerscr

brian p-a
August 8th, 2010, 11:35 PM
think i had my hands on her.
was real dark couldn't catch her.
am sure it was her but i'm freaking out and losing it right now.
was at 227 HUron St. Oshawa.

mikischo
August 8th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Is that far from where you live?

brian p-a
August 8th, 2010, 11:42 PM
its about two blocks south from my house in a straight line.
going back soon.

mikischo
August 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Catching her might not be that easy. You say she is normally skittish and I know that even cats who are not normally skittish often get that way when they are in unfamiliar surroundings. At least you have an idea where she is now. It's possible you might end up having to try a trap. Also did you try putting things outside your home (litter box, familiar blankets or bedding, perhaps some unwashed clothing of yours and, of course, food. Two blocks away isn't that far. She might still try to venture home on her own. Let us know what happens tonight. Good luck. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and her.

brian p-a
August 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM
my stake out failed. couldn't catch her and i think i may have been another cat in fact. my mind is playing tricks on me.
hasn't turned up with Animal Services and i really don't think anyone will catch her. i just hop she doesn't go too far.
more postering today and spreading my searches.
carrying around our large cat cage, cans of food and snacks to hopefully get her.

mikischo
August 10th, 2010, 02:40 AM
You know it is possible your girl is closer to home than you think. She may just be in hiding and too scared to come out but it is possible she is coming around at night when you are sleeping and then going back somewhere to hide again. I would consider getting a live trap (often can be rented from the humane society), putting it near the entrance to your home and baiting it with some yummy smelly food. The benefit of the trap is she just might go in it when all is quiet and nobody is around. Then the door will shut before she gets a chance to escape and go into hiding again.

Recently we had one person come on here whose cat was missing for two weeks. He tried everything and then one night he forgot to close his patio door and guess who was home in the morning.

Good luck finding Mona.:pray: Please continue to keep us posted.

Love4himies
August 10th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Absolutely! My parents found a cat under their deck who was an indoor only kitty who was lost for almost a week. The owners calling and calling did not bring the kitty out and the kitty only lived a couple of doors down. The way it was found was my mother being in the basement at 4AM and saw a cat peering in their window.

You know it is possible your girl is closer to home than you think. She may just be in hiding and too scared to come out but it is possible she is coming around at night when you are sleeping and then going back somewhere to hide again. I would consider getting a live trap (often can be rented from the humane society), putting it near the entrance to your home and baiting it with some yummy smelly food. The benefit of the trap is she just might go in it when all is quiet and nobody is around. Then the door will shut before she gets a chance to escape and go into hiding again.

Recently we had one person come on here whose cat was missing for two weeks. He tried everything and then one night he forgot to close his patio door and guess who was home in the morning.

Good luck finding Mona.:pray: Please continue to keep us posted.

brian p-a
August 10th, 2010, 06:01 PM
got a couple of false calls today. seems everyone keeps seeing the same two cats in the neighborhood.
i'm glad people are still keeping their eyes peeled.
put up some more posters and talked to a few people on the street, most seem empathetic. feel like i can't do enough but getting moments of hopeless apathy.
gonna sit outside for a longer while tonite and try and listen for her.

mikischo
August 10th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I know it can be discouraging when a kitty is missing. :grouphug:

Sending more :goodvibes::fingerscr:goodvibes: that Mona comes home safely and soon.

Do consider the live trap as well. It has worked for others and it might work for you. Often Humane Societies and SPCA's will rent them for a small fee and a refundable deposit. If she likes to hide, partially covering it with a towel or blanket might also be a good idea if you think she is more likely to go inside, and maybe have a small trail of treats leading to it.

brian p-a
August 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM
a friend of mine has offered a trap i may try it.
but i am concerned about the other things i might find in it.
we have a large pack of raccoons and some foxes nearby.

mikischo
August 10th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I can see that being a concern for you. Do you ever see them near your yard?

Hopefully it won't happen but I do know there have been several instances of other members inadvertently catching racoons (happens quite frequently actually). They just take the covered trap and walk off their property with the trap. Take it towards the woods if they are nearby and, with the door pointed in the other direction, quickly open it. The racoon will be only too happy to quickly make its escape and run off and he won't be back. I guess the same would be true of foxes?:shrug:

mikischo
August 10th, 2010, 09:53 PM
If you do choose to go this route you will only have the trap out say from dusk to dawn and you will want to check it periodically which means you might not be getting a whole lot of sleep. But I have a feeling you are not getting a whole lot of sleep as it is anyway.:grouphug:

Whatever you decide, please continue keep us posted.

brian p-a
August 10th, 2010, 11:31 PM
there is a large family of raccoons that live near,
i had three of them in my backyard sunday night.

one house over and across the street there is a massive empty lot that used to be a factory. there is all kinds of places to hide, plants, trees, broken remains of the burnt down factory and various foot trails.
i have a feeling that she is in there and i've been thru it many times but it is half a kilometre square.

thanks for the continued interest and support.

ps: and no, not much sleep. 4 hours today which is the most of had since friday.

brian p-a
August 12th, 2010, 05:47 AM
it's really worn me out now.
one call again today. everyone is still helpfull and supportive.
i miss her so much.

14+kitties
August 12th, 2010, 08:39 AM
a friend of mine has offered a trap i may try it.
but i am concerned about the other things i might find in it.
we have a large pack of raccoons and some foxes nearby.

Every time I opened this thread I pray you have found Mona. :( I am keeping my hopes up that you will very soon.
If you have the offer of a live trap please take your friend up on it. It is normally very successful at trapping cats. I have used them successfully for some time. If it is the size of a cat/raccoon trap I doubt you will catch a fox. They are a little too big to get into the trap unless they are smaller. The coons are a different story. If you trap one you should cover the trap with an old towel or blanket, take it to the far corner of the area you are in, open the door facing away from you and the coon should toddle out. :fingerscr
I will keep checking up and keeping my prayers going for Mona. She is almost identical to two of mine. :pray::fingerscr:goodvibes:

Forgot to mention - If you trap a raccoon or other wildlife please make sure you sterilize the trap with as strong of a bleach or cleaner as you can find. Coons carry some nasty crap you wouldn't want Mona to catch when she gets trapped.

brian p-a
August 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM
as much as i'm leery of it i am going to get the trap tonite.
i have to try everything i can.

mikischo
August 12th, 2010, 07:10 PM
I would also partly cover it with a familiar blanket that has your scent or hers on it.

Sending more :pray::goodvibes::fingerscr for you and Mona.

brian p-a
August 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM
I would also partly cover it with a familiar blanket that has your scent or hers on it.

Sending more :pray::goodvibes::fingerscr for you and Mona.

thanks again.
i'm going to cover it and put one of my shirts in there.
i've still got some of them hanging in the yard on the fence posts too.

Winston
August 12th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Come on home Mona!! :thumbs up Positive vibes are coming your way!!

Cindy

brian p-a
August 13th, 2010, 02:20 AM
thanks for the continued good vibes.
it's getting harder for me.
nearly a week now and still nothing.
i dread going out to look for her because i'm afraid of the nothing, the negative result. and when i see home again i about collapse from guilt and defeat.
i've failed her and i'm so afraid for her.

mikischo
August 13th, 2010, 10:02 AM
The feelings you are going through are perfectly normal under the circumstances and not getting any results can be very discouraging.:grouphug: You are doing all you can to get her back and you can't do more than that.

Try to catch up on some sleep this weekend (perhaps even take naps during the day if that's what it takes). It doesn't help when you are exhausted. Even if you don't get any results with the trap immediately, I would continue to leave it out at night.

Many years ago, I had a cat go missing for three weeks (during the winter, yet). I tried everything and when I had pretty much given up hope of ever seeing him again, he came home (skinnier but still in good health and as happy to be home as I was to see him).

Here's hoping that you will yet have a good outcome.:goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

brian p-a
August 15th, 2010, 08:45 PM
she's still gone. starting to get bad feelings about it.
finally managed to sleep more than 3 hours today.
i've had some great help thru all this:
serveral friends have come out to search, another has printed hundreds of posters for me and come looking thru the fields, even my son Jack(20mos) calls for Mona on our porch and comes to give me hugs when i return from my searches,"Mona? missing..." is what he says.
everyone has been totally understanding.

i haven't ended up using the trap yet, something in my gut keeps telling me not to. but i have our small cat cage lined with my shirts out under the porch.
my ideas and wits are exhausted.

someone called yesterday tho and said he was sure he'd seen her, i had spoken with him before and he thought he'd seen her then too.
i searched his and his neoghbour's yards and sheds and then camped out in the field( they back on to the part of the big field that is farthest from our home) behind for at least an hour then went back around dawn.
i left a smelly shirt and some treats and something has eaten the treats, no prints or obvious cat fur so i think i might have been squirrels but here's hoping that if she finds it, that it will encourage her to stay near.

big storms forecasted tonight so i don't think i'll go out and she'll be dug in.

come home soon baby, i miss you so much.

shirley1011
August 15th, 2010, 09:10 PM
Just don't give up hope! I had a cat many years ago was missing for almost seven weeks and came home thin and full of pine needles..we assumed she may have gone up a tree and couldn't get down...
Our Sable dog will have been missing for four years next week, so I understand what you are going thru and the exhaustion and the highs and lows and the not sleeping but just don't give up. I suppose in my heart I never will.

brian p-a
August 16th, 2010, 12:13 AM
another almost....
got a call from a street over from ours (Arthur) placing her near Ritson.
the caller said they've been looking around all week too.(super greatfull for these kinds of people)
this cat could've fooled me.
but had some very faint cream colored tabby markings and the color of the footpads were too light (Mona's are almost black/purple)
and this cat was missing the six white hairs just under the chin that no one but me would ever notice.
got close tho, fed it some. growled too deep and swatted me. Mona would have left more and deeper marks on my hand.
just trying to hold on.

krdahmer
August 16th, 2010, 03:31 AM
hang in there....took well over a week, almost two i think to find my friends cat, and he was in the bushes right beside her house the whole time. :goodvibes: that mona is home soon

NoahGrey
August 16th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I remember when I worked as an animal protection officer for a humane society, I received a call regarding a confined stray cat. Go, pick up cat, take it back to the shelter, scan it for a microchip, was chipped. Lost and found called owner. Owner was in complete shock. Her cat had been missing for a year.

14+kitties
August 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Have you been visiting your local HS or animal control daily? I can't remember if you said you have. Not just phoned but physically visited? You need to go in and check visually yourself every day. The HSs get so many cats in they sometimes can miss one that has been reported missing. Also very important that you ask to check the sick room and the feral room. Especially the feral room. If Mona is as skittish as you say it is a very real possibility that she "acted feral" when caught. The cats are then put in the feral room. Caution - they are the first to be euthanized. :( It is critical that you check the HS daily.
As for not using the trap... what have you got to lose? So you catch a few other cats, a coon, etc. What if by not using it you lose the chance to catch Mona? Please, it won't harm her. Try the trap. :pray::fingerscr

brian p-a
August 16th, 2010, 11:29 PM
i saw her tonite.

this time it was her. driving thru some nearby streets i saw her, stopped the car leaving it unlocked with windows down i chased her down a driveway then over a fence as a guy loooked on. i told him to apologise to his neighbors.
over the fence and onto the bikepath behind then into a fenced lot with trees and a large disused garage, again going over more barbed wire.
i sighted her again and couldn't get her closer and i didn't have any treats or my cat catching gear i've been carrying.

i called my mom and dad who live only minutes away, they came fast with cage and treats, tho i told them the wrong street and they ended up taking thier SUV down the bike path for a block to get to me.
i sat and coaxed her for a long while she kept getting closer and eating treats i even started to put some inside the cage and she stuck her head and a single paw inside.

i couldn't touch her tho, she recoiled and growled quite feral each time i tried.stuck in this lot and the treat bag almost gone i tried to get her into the cage when she went for more inside. she has always moved faster than light but i grabbed her leg then the claws sunk in and teeth i wrestled her for another few seconds but she broke away leaving me bleeding and defeated.
i kicked the cage across the field and broke down in a heap.
Dad stayed with me for a while and Mom went to get more stuff from our house and after i calmed some we searched a bit more but to no avail.

i feel defeated, betrayed, like a failure, confused and a whole lot more.
i'm even wondering if she's fully feral now and is too far gone.
i can't give up on my baby kitten but i must stop for tonite, if nothing else.

at least i know she's alive and OK. maybe that's all i can have from this....

14+kitties
August 16th, 2010, 11:47 PM
She is not fully feral. In fact she is not feral. She has not been out long enough to "turn feral". What she is is petrified.
Was it a cage or the trap you had your parents bring? The whole idea of the trap is to set it up and leave it. Don't sit beside it trying to force her into it. That will only make things worse. If she knows you want her to go in it or you try to force her in it will only make things worse. The hardest part to learn when trying to trap/catch a cat is patience. I know it's hard. I tried for almost three years to trap one cat in particular. Boy, did it feel good when I finally got her.
Please set up the trap in the area you saw her in. Bait it with a really strong tuna or sardines. Cover it with a blanket. At this point it should not smell like you. And leave it. If you want you can sit quietly about ten feet away in a spot where she can't see you. Sit very quietly so as not to spook her. As badly as you want her to go in the trap do not do anything to scare her away. You will not get her back!
The most important thing. Once she is in the trap do not open it until you are safely inside your home! I can guarantee you if you open it outdoors and she gets away again you will not get her back.
Patience is now the key. Please, if you want her back, find lots of it somewhere and hold on tight!!!! :fingerscr

brian p-a
August 17th, 2010, 12:30 AM
thx. i will try and put some of that into practice.
especially the part about patience.

mikischo
August 17th, 2010, 12:47 AM
I agree 100 percent with what 14+ said. Mona is not feral. It is not at all unusual for a cat (even one less timid than Mona) to behave this way when in unfamiliar surroundings, and the more you try to pursue her the more fearful she is going to become.

Please use the trap as 14+ suggested. This is the only way you are going to get her back. If you have any questions or concerns about how to set it up and use it, 14+ can answer them. She has a lot of experience using traps to rescue cats.

Once you have Mona back safely home in her own environment, I assure you she will be back to being her own self in no time.

Winston
August 17th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Brian I have been following your thread like I am sure many many others are but you have received the best info so far from 14+ & Mischiko! I know its really hard for you and you feel defeated but please please stay strong! Mona will come home! You are so close now!

Mona is definately not ferel...it takes a long time before that happens! She is likely really really scared and frightened! So how far away from your home have you spotted her? she will likely be staying in that area for a reason...maybe safety, maybe a place to hide , or food....

Have you set up the trap yet? if not I would suggest you get that done right away and near where you saw Mona tonight! get some really smelly treats, tuna, sardines anything that will entice her into the trap. Dont worry about catching any other critters..I guarantee it wouldnt likely be ther first time for many of them and besides whats the worst that could happen? you release them?

Please please please once you have her make sure the trap is closed tightly and dont open it until she is in a safe environment that she cant get out of...

We are praying for you here and sending positive vibes your way...MONA COME ON HOME BABY!!!!!

Cindy

P>S you must have pretty awesome folks to help you out like they have!!!

Love4himies
August 17th, 2010, 07:46 AM
She is NOT FERAL! Please don't give up on her and don't take it personally. My Snowball would attack me if he was cornered outside in an unfamiliar area. He and I were like soul mates.

Now that you know where she is hanging around, it gives you a better idea where to stake out your searches. Calm is better than the chase in this situation, you will only scare her making her run.

14+ has given you real good advice and I think if you want to catch Mona you will have to do as 14+ suggested.

Good luck :goodvibes::goodvibes::goodvibes:

NoahGrey
August 17th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I agree she is not feral, just very scared, due to unfamilar environment. When you see her, and she takes off, do you stick around the area for a bit? or do you just leave right away? Odds are she is not running to far, from when she sees you..just enough to hide. I would stay in the area for a bit, calmly call her name, bring some canned tuna or salomon with you. These food are very stinky and the aroma travels. If she comes out, talk softly to her, don't make sudden movements and let her become reasurred again At first she is scared...if she hears your voice for a bit, the fimalar voice that she knows will be reasurring to her again.

Also, like others have stated...bring a trap with you as well. bait it with tuna or salmon. You will probably have to sit and wait..

brian p-a
August 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
had to stop searching for a couple days. my friend continued to visit the area i saw her.
after nearly catching her i did see her at least twice, each time she disappeared. but no signs in 3 days.
a lady near by who feeds strays said she had seen Mona eating in her yard.
she says she will continue to keep a look out and stay in contact.
tonight i sat out i the area for a long while after wandering around but she did not appear. i did see another cat who is a dusty grey tabby and it came to me.
makes it worse in some ways that i seem to be able to draw in every other cat but my own.
i really feel she's gone this time.

14+kitties
August 23rd, 2010, 11:57 PM
This is the best thing I can tell you. If the lady is feeding strays in her yard then take the trap to her yard and set it up. Chances are eventually Mona will show up and you will catch her. I know you said you were hesitant to use the trap but if you aren't willing to do that then I don't know what else to say. :shrug:

Love4himies
August 24th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Brian, I have to agree with 14+, I think the only way to catch her is with a trap. I would talk to this lady to ask to put a trap out.

brian p-a
September 1st, 2010, 03:09 PM
i've not heard anything since from the lady who said she's been feeding her.
as for setting a trap in her yard it's not necessarily practical and without seeing her again i couldn't begin to ask.
and also i continue to have strong apprehension about using it. it's a gut thing.
i've seen or heard nothing for over a week now: either from my own searches(which are getting fewer) or from others.

her absence is really being noticed by our other cat now. he's been lethargic and not eating like normal. they had been together even longer than they've lived here. my best buddy has lost his girl and the reality has set in.

chico2
September 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM
Brian,I just read all the posts hoping at the end you would have been able to get her.
Were she my cat,I would definitely try to trap her,that lady must love cats as she is feeding strays,I am sure she would cooperate with you,I know I would and have.
When it is about a lost cat,there are no boundaries,neither fences nor gates,I've been known to go in to backyards without permission if the people are not home,it's the safety of your terrified cat that is important,please don't give up on her:pray:

brian p-a
September 1st, 2010, 11:23 PM
i've hopped a lot of fences and parked myself in well fenced areas that could've got me arrested. other than using the trap i've set no limits,
but my psyche and health is paying for it.
(again with the trap: my instincts tell me not to for whichever reason and i know to trust them)
i've been ill since last week and my sleep is worse and worse.
i still have to consider the other cat and the humans who depend on me and who are also still here.
i won't give up on her but i've hit a wall.
i've seen no sign of her or what i think was her for over a week now.
i know it was ten days before the first sighting and i'm trying to keep that in perspective.
also because i've had no contact since i was bitten i think i will submit to getting the rabies shots recommended by the health dept.

brian p-a
November 3rd, 2010, 01:02 AM
last night she came back to us.
we actually saw her again sunday night on our porch,
but trick-or-treaters scared her away.
it was a heartbreak all over again to have her appear and then disappear into the night.

but around 11pm i went out to put some food on a plate for her and tapped on it with a fork. she came immediately. i petted her as she ate but knowing how elusive she is i decided i had to snare her. i used my hooded shirt, taking it off and throwing it over her then bolting into the house.
i was not going to let her go this time.

once in the house she calmed almost instantly and started to purr.
making that distinct, unique sound that i've been longing to heat.

she's a little thin but looks healthy as can be expected.
to the vet tomorrow.

so relieved.
so happy.

thanks to all who offered support and ideas.

Shaykeija
November 3rd, 2010, 01:11 AM
I am glad to hear she is safe...

shirley1011
November 3rd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Wow....almost 3 months...and to be lost in a busy area in Oshawa.....So glad to hear your kitty is back

Love4himies
November 3rd, 2010, 07:45 AM
Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so glad, so hopefully she won't be going outside anymore :pray:

I wonder if she had been getting some food somewhere and now it is getting too cold for her?

Thank you for letting us know :thumbs up

14+kitties
November 3rd, 2010, 08:02 AM
You are very fortunate to get your girl back. I hope now she has the wanderlust she is content to stay. :fingerscr I am very very happy for you.

chico2
November 3rd, 2010, 12:19 PM
brian,that's fantastic news,made my otherwise miserable day a great day:thumbs up

BenMax
November 3rd, 2010, 12:25 PM
EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!:thumbs up. So pleased that there is a happy ending for all.

Best to you all.

goldengal
November 3rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
So happy to read Brian that you have Mona back at home. Great news, and I bet you are feeling on top of the world.

Take care,
Pat

krdahmer
November 4th, 2010, 01:11 AM
:thumbs up:highfive::grouphug::goodvibes::cloud9: