Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not sure what to except with spaying my cat.

GoreyDemented
August 4th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this thread. I joined because everyone here seems very knowledgable.

I rescused a cat, named Toby. She is about 4-5 years old. She turned out to be pregnant when I rescued her. She gave birth to 5 lovely little ones. About a week after, she stopped eatting and being able to walk; the vet informed me she had a severe infection which was exaserbated by the fact she wasn't give proper cat or attention from her previous owner(s).

She's going in to be spayed on Thursday (next Thursday). I'm rather worried. I've never had a female cat before. She is very small and a lot older than the majority (that I know of) of females who are spayed. I'm not sure what I should do to prepare (Make her a new bed to sleep in? Watch her a lot? What if she wont eat..?). I'm just not sure what to expect and I'm rather nervous.

I'd appericate any advice, thank you.

mikischo
August 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Welcome to the forum and thank you for rescuing this kitty.:thumbs up

How is Toby doing now? Has she fully recovered from the infection? Is she now eating well again and able to walk normally?

How old are the kittens now? Ideally it is preferable to wait until about 4 weeks after the kittens have been weaned or usually when the kittens are about 12 weeks old.

Has the vet run any tests to ensure she is now in good health and should have no problems tolerating the anesthetic? 4 or 5 years isn't old and cats much older than Toby regularly undergo procedures that require anesthetic without issues.

Ozzie
August 4th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Toby should be fine with lots of loving and attention .
Are the kittens still there? A new bed is a good idea . :)
edit Mikischo beat me by a minute !

14+kitties
August 4th, 2010, 09:17 PM
While she is not a young cat she isn't that old either. She should be just fine after her surgery. Has she completely dried up from weaning the kittens or is she still feeding? If she isn't dried up there could be complications if the mammary glands are still large. The vet could nick one causing some issues. That is why they prefer cats to be dry when they spay. Most cats start weaning their kittens around six to eight weeks but the weaning process can take a long time. I have a mom and six kittens that are just over three months old. They still suckle. It is mostly a comfort thing now and mom is dried up and has been for a couple of weeks.
Ideally after the operation you should give momma cat a quiet place to recoup. Because she has not had anything to eat for quite some time she could be hungry. She should most definitely be thirsty. For the first 24 hours or so she should mostly want to sleep. Hopefully she can be in a room by herself away from rambunctious kittens. What I usually use for recouping cats is a large dog crate. It works wonderfully to keep the cat contained and calm. There is lots of room for a litter box, a blanket and food and water. I will usually leave the cat in the crate for at least four days to a week. This way you do not have to worry about her jumping off of beds, dressers, whatever high spots she frequents.
The incision itself is pretty minimal. Normally one dissolving stitch on the outside. If she is worrying it a lot you may want to consider a cone so she can't get to it. I have yet to use one on any cats I have had done.
The vet will send you home with a list of things to do. She will be fine. :goodvibes:

GoreyDemented
August 5th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Thank you for the nice replies.

First, Toby has recovered from her infection. We had to give her antibotics twice a day for two weeks. She is eatting, playing and walking perfectly fine.

Second, fear not! I waited until the kittens (Lily went at 7 weeks and the other three went at 10 weeks) were old enough to give to good homes, and Toby only now has Kilgor, who stopped nursing over a month ago, before I booked her appointment.

She is getting blood work and tests before the procedure to ensure she wont react badly to the medication.

I, sadly, don't have a dog crate but what I planned on doing is making her a nice quiet area in my room. I'd get her a bed and line it with blankets and whatnot, food and water bowl, and litter box. Shut the door so neither of the other two can bother her that much until she's ready.

I guess I'm mostly worried because she's prone to infection because she was poorly taken care of before.

Thanks for the replies :)

GoreyDemented
August 5th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I thought I would share some photos of my lady. She was larger when these were taken. She's smaller now. I'm not sure why, she still eats a lot but lost some weight.

diandpat
August 5th, 2010, 09:11 AM
She is adorable :cloud9: Hope the pizza was finished in the last pic :laughing:

catlover2
August 5th, 2010, 10:16 AM
It usually takes a cat that's had pyometra longer to recover from a spay operation, at least that's been my experience. Most cats are pretty good about not making high jumps as they know their limitations. Just keep her in a quiet area where she's not going to be frightened into having to make some quick moves. She'll heal up just fine and in a couple of weeks likely be back to normal in a couple of weeks. What a gorgeous girl is Toby!

Marty11
August 5th, 2010, 10:49 AM
I would remove things that could encourage high jumps. I could never had crated my rescue cat. That was even more traumatizing. Just a quiet room so no one can bother her. Took mine bout 5 days, with day 3 being the most challenging. Vet said the pain killers had worn off and it's her body reacting to surgery. She was trembling. By the end of a week it was all good.

sugarcatmom
August 5th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Marty11 brings up a good point about the pain killers. Make sure your vet provides you with enough meds, preferably about 5 days worth (Fentanyl pain patches are great for this). Some vets out there don't believe in ANY pain meds post-spay (supposedly to keep them quieter :rolleyes:), which I think is archaic and cruel.

mikischo
August 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Toby is a gorgeous girl.:lovestruck::lovestruck:

Sounds like you have everything in order.:thumbs up I have nothing to add to the good advice you have already received. Keep us updated.

RUSTYcat
August 6th, 2010, 12:56 AM
GoreyDemented- a warm welcome to the forum!
...Make sure your vet provides you with enough meds, preferably about 5 days worth (Fentanyl pain patches are great for this). Some vets out there don't believe in ANY pain meds post-spay (supposedly to keep them quieter :rolleyes:), which I think is archaic and cruel.
I realize I'm the third voice on the pain meds issue - that said, effective pain control is also a large part of a successful outcome from any surgery. The "pain patch" is extremely effective and eliminates the stress (and wrestling matches!) asociated with pilling.

There is one "pain med" that you won't want to use - now or in future - it's this one (http://www.metacamkills.com). Prescribing of this has reached epidemic proportions - and, here on "the rock" it's no different.

Love those pix - she's a sweetie for sure!

GoreyDemented
September 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Thank you everyone! You made me feel much better about her surgery.

Toby is now completely healed up and MUCH more energetic now. So again, thank you!!!

Love4himies
September 6th, 2010, 12:39 PM
That is great news :thumbs up