Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Found jack russell in alberta

Muddy Acres
August 3rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
JULY 15TH MY SON FOUND A JR RUNNING ON A SECONDARY HIGHWAY NEAR OUR HOUSE. He brought him home and we placed posters everywhere with his pic. called all of the vets, County, etc. got him checked for a chip there was none and no tatoo. He is a very spoiled (now and in the past for sure), he is very house broke loves car rides etc. Nobody seems to be looking for him, we check a huge number of sights everyday. Any suggestions. He also seems a bit older and loves men.

Dog Dancer
August 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Thank you and your son for taking the dog in. You probably saved his life. Hopefully the owners will show up, if not would you keep him??

Love4himies
August 4th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I wonder if a tourist lost their dog?

michellemero
August 4th, 2010, 12:18 PM
yes..keep him, if his owners don't show up ! :thumbs up

Muddy Acres
August 4th, 2010, 04:03 PM
I am sure he will probably end up staying here forever or until we find his family. He is a bit on the senior citizen side of life and has settled his "differences" with our cats and the Doberman. They have decided that the couch is for little dogs and the Love seat is for bigger dogs.
We live on a farm and have a few BIG guys that are outside most of the time or in the garage. "Jacks" has met our Bouvier (Winston) who is also a senior and they are okay but our "puppies" (2 - 2yr.old Old English Sheepdog/Pyrenese) are a bit put out by the new little tough guy. We will keep working on that. My 70 year old neighbor is a recent widow and lost her really old maltese, and big old farm dog and her husband in 6 short months. She really likes Jacks but he is settling in here so well I feel bad confusing the poor old guy again if we let her keep him over at her farm.

My husband thinks he may have belonged to a trucker or something because he loves car rides. Between my husband, myself and our 3 boys he gets to go for a ride at least once a day,

Muddy Acres
August 4th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I am kind of bad for thinking that I need to save the critters. I'm not a hoarder or anything but all three of my cats are also rescue stories. Tucker was dropped off at a restaraunt at -40 celcius at about 2 months old, he is 4 now. Peanut was a farm baby and something killed her mom and the rest of her litter, I was there getting hay bales for our horses and brought her home, her eyes had just opened and she couldn't hear yet so she stayed in a wash cloth in my pocket for a few weeks. She rules the cat roost and still nurses on Uncle Tuckers elbows, she is 2 now. I took Peanut to get fixed nad could hear baby kittens screaming their heads off at the vet's, they had been dropped off and were about 3 weeks old so I took them home, placed 2 with a retired couple and we still have "Tina Turner" who also nurses on unlce Tuckers elbows, He is such a good "mom".

Dog Dancer
August 4th, 2010, 05:03 PM
MA, you sound like a wonderful caring person and "Jacks" certainlylet the right person rescue him. I would say if he doesn't settle with your other dogs you could always let the elderly lady give him a try to see how he likes it over there. You know, conditional that if he didn't settle in you would like him back... Just a thought, but I don't know, sounds to me like he's home to stay! Of course you know we're going to need you to post some pics of all your furry kids. I hope you stick around and share more stories with us and keep us updated.

chico2
August 4th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Muddy Acres,I soo agree with DD,He certainly found the right people to rescue him:thumbs up
I don't know how energetic your senior neighbor is,but maybe a JRT would not be the best dog for her.
My son has a 10yr old JRT and she has not slowed down at all.
I know we would love to see pics of all your animals,no pressure...oh well,maybe a bit;)

Muddy Acres
August 5th, 2010, 02:14 AM

chico2
August 5th, 2010, 08:25 AM
MA,awww he's a sweetheart,no wonder you have fallen in love:lovestruck:
He looks really good,at least on the pics.
So,are you keeping him:pray:Unless there are some unhappy owners out there somewhere:confused:
Nice garden!!

Muddy Acres
August 5th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Jacks is a sweetie for sure. He is asleep right now on the couch, he has a "sleeping in thing" and he just travels from room to room to find someone who is still asleep so he can go back to bed. He's not a morning dog.

My neighbor is a very active 70 so I think they would get along very well, but I think, he thinks, this is it. He even responds to his "new" name now every time we say it and he is a very excited guy when we have left for a while and come home. When he gets away from me when I undo his leash he runs straight to my husbands shop to find him or one of the boys, SOOOO I think he will likely end up staying with us.

I understand that they are bred to get rats, etc. and Jacks is for sure that "killer" guy. If he sees a gopher he loses his mind, he screams and does some kind of bark/growl/"someone is peeling off my skin" sound EVERYTIME he sees a gopher. What if he gets away and goes after one, does anyone know if he'll come back or will we be trenching our 80 acres to get him back??
That worries me a bunch.

Marty11
August 5th, 2010, 11:44 AM
I have two different terriers that are "ratters". I will never trust off leash. However I had a friend that had a jack russell and he never took off and could bring him to a cottage and give him full freedom and never left. My neighbour has one as well that listens quite well. I think you'll have a feeling about it and also the older the better they listen.

hazelrunpack
August 5th, 2010, 05:01 PM
I would be worried that maybe that's how he got lost in the first place, Muddy Acres--that he took off after a varmint and couldn't find his way back. Would you consider fencing in a safe part of the yard for him to play off-leash in?

He sure is a doll! :flirt:

Muddy Acres
August 6th, 2010, 02:19 AM
We made a barrier on the front deck so Jacks can sun tan on his own for a few minutes everyday. Today he wouldn't let my mom into "our" house to get a drink of water, too funny. Maybe he does own the place.

chico2
August 6th, 2010, 08:48 AM
MA,knowing JRT's somewhat,I am sure he will have a lot of small-dog attitude to show you yet:laughing:

michellemero
August 6th, 2010, 01:50 PM
:thumbs upThis little guy is soo lucky to have found you.... or you to have found this little guy! Sounds like he's getting really comfortable there...So Happy for him! :)

Muddy Acres
August 6th, 2010, 09:56 PM
:dog:
Today we were going for the CAR RIDE, I had to get something out of my truck and Jacks jumped in but we were going in my son's jeep. We have bucket seats with a counsel in the middle and when I told Jacks we were in the wrong truck and we needed to go in the jeep he ducked down so you couldn't see him anywhere in the front, LOL. I wish I had my camera as I said to my son "look can you see any Jack Russells in my truck?" and he glanced over and said "no Where is he?" Jacks the sneeky, smart, boy poked one eye over the divider and looked at my son. Too Funny, he tried to hide again but my son went to the passenger side to get him. As soon as Spence opened the door Jacks bolted to the back seat, LOL it took us 5 minutes to get him, Way Too Cute,

JennieV
August 7th, 2010, 03:02 PM
LOL... he is quite the character! :lovestruck:

chico2
August 7th, 2010, 04:41 PM
MA,you are going to have so much fun with a JRT,is he ok with your kitties:cat::dog:

Muddy Acres
August 8th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Hi Chico,
Well m, funny you ask about the cats, LMHO. A week ago my husband came in the door and his glasses were dark and the ALL MIGHTY JACKS thought the should be gone ..............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all of a sudden Tucker and Peanut came out of no where and beat Jacks up so now Jacks doesn't make eye contact with the cranky ones only Tina, too Cute again, and VERY SMART\!!!!!!!

chico2
August 8th, 2010, 10:01 AM
MA:laughing:like I always say"Cats rule":laughing,small but mighty:cat:

exkalibur
August 8th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Muddy acres, do you live neer Peers ? One of our camping neibhour lost their dog during the firework that night. (never mind. I just saw the July date just now...it happened on the August long week-end)

Muddy Acres
August 9th, 2010, 11:39 PM
EXCALIBER My parents have an acreage near Peers and my cousins own the Rona and Farm Store out there I will pass the info to them. If you could get a picture I am sure they will put it in the stores for you friends. My parents acreage is more near the Rosevear Ferry but I am sure they will atch for the pup too. I hope they find thier "kid".

As for Jacks, he went on a quad ride with my husband yesterday and loved it!!
Tonight he is showing us the JR part, he loves us to chase him when he steals one of the big dog bones. He runs and then comes running at us and scoots away growling a very ferosious growl and then zooms in close and takes off again. He is so cute!! We have to lock up the cats for that action because most are the same size as him.