Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat hit, partial paralyzed...suggestions?

sweetamanda84
August 3rd, 2010, 03:40 PM
My 4yr old daughter's cat, Magic, was hit by a car Saturday evening. At first we didn't know what was wrong when we found her on the porch crying. I searched her over and she has a shoulder wound, which I've kept clean and has started healing. We noticed her walking funny at the time and figured it was because of the shoulder wound. I think she had an adrenaline rush to get her back home, since she collapsed as soon as I picked her up and hasn't moved much since.

Sunday she refused to move from the bed I had made her. I had to give her water with a dropper and by the afternoon she was accepting it without me having to force her to take water, but her left side was "paralyzed" and her front and back leg on that side is not working at all. She had a fever but it has come down since Sunday.

I called the vet Monday morning and they couldn't see her until the afternoon. When I took her in, the vet said he was pretty sure it was a car accident and that she had a closed head injury (her eyes were pretty screwed up, one was normal and the other was basically all green with no black), but no broken bones and she's not in pain. He gave her a steroid shot and an antiobiotic and told me most people would just automatically put their animal down. Magic was stressing out being at the vet and lashed out at him a few times with her good legs, and the vet cited that as a reason since he didn't want her to harm my daughter. Of course as soon as she was home she was calm again, just stressed out from the vet. The vet said she had a 50/50 chance and to give it 48 hrs and if she wasn't better then to bring her back to put her down. I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible.

I've had my fingers crossed because I don't want to have to put my little girl's cat down. I've been giving Magic water and as of this morning she was more alert and trying to get up and around. She's not her normal feisty self, but she is much better than she was yesterday. She's eating soft cat food mixed with water by herself today and has tried getting up a few times. Her left side is still "paralyzed" and not working so she doesn't make much progress on moving far.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could feed her other than soft cat food that will help her regain her strength and hopefully mobility? And are there suggestions on helping her regain mobility or does anyone have a cat that has managed to be okay without the use of two legs? I'm not sure of the extent of brain damage, and so far she isn't hostile or anything, she just doesn't have control of her left side, almost like she had a stroke or something.

Any suggestions would be helpful, other than putting her to sleep. I work at home so I can take care of her and don't want to put her down unless it's necessary.

Chris21711
August 3rd, 2010, 03:45 PM
Did the Vet take any x-rays to see if there was internal trauma?

sweetamanda84
August 3rd, 2010, 04:24 PM
yeh and he said everything looks good internally. He was just worried that it was too late for her to come back from the pressure on her brain. The steroid has helped, she's just can't move her left side :(

CsqU4r3d
August 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
I had a Tom cat that got attacked by a dog and dragged himself home...it was touch and go for about a week..he was also partly paralyzed as well...at first the paralysis can be brought on by inflammation as a result the injury. In my case after about a week he started to gain some movement, and at that point I started giving him physio therapy, I would move and exercise his two affected legs 3 or 4 times a day. With in a month he was back to walking on his own, somewhat clumsily...in time he regained about 90% of his mobility back and went on to live a happy life for about another 8 years.I fed him wet cat food as you are doing.

sweetamanda84
August 3rd, 2010, 04:42 PM
The other animals have been rallying around and making sure she's ok whenever she tries to move away from her bed.

sweetamanda84
August 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
I had a Tom cat that got attacked by a dog and dragged himself home...it was touch and go for about a week..he was also partly paralyzed as well...at first the paralysis can be brought on by inflammation as a result the injury. In my case after about a week he started to gain some movement, and at that point I started giving him physio therapy, I would move and exercise his two affected legs 3 or 4 times a day. With in a month he was back to walking on his own, somewhat clumsily...in time he regained about 90% of his mobility back and went on to live a happy life for about another 8 years.I fed him wet cat food as you are doing.

Thanks! That makes me feel better. When my in-laws heard about Magic they thought I was crazy for not putting her down immediately and getting my daughter another cat. I've gotten enough of a guilt trip and it's good to know that she can come back from this and lead a normal life. :fingerscr

Dog Dancer
August 3rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. Please trust your instincts with this. I have no advice to offer than that. Good luck to you.

Floppy Dog
August 3rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
You go for it! I've seen a 3 legged cat live for another 10 healthy years after a dog bite resulted in an amputation.

CsqU4r3d
August 3rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
My room mates at the time thought I had lost it!! Here I am making this poor cat do bicycle peddles...but it obviously did help ...I also made a rule no laughing at the poor guy once he did start walking..he did look like he had been on a 3 week bender!!! Good luck with Magic I will keep good thoughts and hope she is scampering around again soon.:grouphug::fingerscr:pray:

chico2
August 3rd, 2010, 05:25 PM
OMG,just looking at her picture,tears at the heartstrings.

I really have no advice,but it seems your vet was not very sympathetic,maybe he was not able to do a thorough examination?
It's a wonder she has no broken bones.

My 3 wonderful cats,behave like fiends at the vet,a vet should know that does not make them a danger at home.

However,I would not let a child handle the kitty right now..the vet says she's not in pain,but you cannot be certain of that.
I am :pray:Magic regains the use of her legs:pray:

sweetamanda84
August 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM
Thank you everyone! The pics were taken just a few hours ago. She made it out of her bed by herself..it did look like she was drunk since she's trying to walk with her left side basically dead...she's doing circles and makes a little progress at a time, but she is determined to move around. Raja, the cat, and my two small dogs are mothering Magic something fierce which is cute to watch them all rally together for their lil friend. I do have my daughter staying at my parent's for the next few days, hopefully to keep her occupied and not see Magic like this. A couple years ago one of the neighbor's at our old place started poisoning cats and we lost the cat which was Zoe's at the time...so I'd prefer not to put Zoe through that again. Zoe watched two cats die (poison and coyotes) and has watched me patch Raja up after a fight with beagles (which tore his head open) and a BB gun wound to the neck. So, I'm trying to do all that's possible for Magic so we don't have to bury another cat.

Thanks for the suggestion on exercising her legs. I will try that out and hopefully it works out!

14+kitties
August 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
While it is up to you to make that decision I would be keeping a very close eye on your daughter's cat. I had a feral last year who was hit by a car. She was paralyed as well from head injuries. I knew she would not recover and had her euthanized. It was one of the hardest things I have had to do. She was not feeling any pain either because of the nature of her head injury. That is what I would be concerned with with your cat as well. Please keep an eye on Majic. :pray:
One thing I would ask. With your record of injuries and deaths could you consider making your cats 100% house cats? They are quite happy being indoor only and it is so much safer for them. :fingerscr

sweetamanda84
August 3rd, 2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks. after we had problems with the neighbors at our last place we did keep the animals in for the most part. We just recently moved and unfortunately visiting family members keep letting Magic out. Raja doesn't really care to get out but Magic likes to sneak out, but she's always back in the evenings. The cats are fixed, that's one thing we've always kept up on, so at least no kitten accidents.

Within the next week we should have the underground fence installed so hopefully no more animal accidents of any sort. You have beautiful cats 14+ and I love the setup you have for your cats. I wish we could do something like that around here but with snow the majority of the year the cats would freeze.

14+kitties
August 3rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Thanks. after we had problems with the neighbors at our last place we did keep the animals in for the most part. We just recently moved and unfortunately visiting family members keep letting Magic out. Raja doesn't really care to get out but Magic likes to sneak out, but she's always back in the evenings. The cats are fixed, that's one thing we've always kept up on, so at least no kitten accidents.

Within the next week we should have the underground fence installed so hopefully no more animal accidents of any sort. You have beautiful cats 14+ and I love the setup you have for your cats. I wish we could do something like that around here but with snow the majority of the year the cats would freeze.

I appreciate the comments re my cats. :cloud9:
You know, underground fencing is not really necessary for cats. At least not that deep under. They don't normally go under a fence unless there is a big gap. Most of them go over the top. Saying that there is a site I love looking at and dreaming about as there are so many ideas I have for building a better cat sanctuary for my cats. It is: http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-enclosures.htm
You can make something like one of the simple ones fairly inexpensively and it can attach right to the house with a cat door going into the house. Cats are pretty intelligent. They don't stay outside for too long when it is cold when they have free access to a warm building. And btw, I live in Ontario. Our temps get ridiculously low and we get a fair bit of snow too. :D The cat houses are insulated very well with lots of blankets and straws to curl up in during the winter.

sweetamanda84
August 4th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Wow. Yeh I can bet that Ontario gets quite a bit of snow, too. We just moved to a place in town and though we have a pretty big yard the animals are used to having over 30 acres to run around on. The new place doesn't have a fence of any sort, though we did make a small pen (14'10' I think) for the dogs until we could put in the underground fence. The wire is buried about 1" under the dirt and will run around the yard. Then the animals wear a collar with a transmitter that lets them know when they get close to the line. I have quite a few family members that have these for their dogs and a few that use it for the cats too and have been told it's very effective. This way I don't feel so bad about the cats being cooped up all the time and the dogs only getting out for a walks throughout the day when they should be able to run around a bit. Aboveground fencing would work but it'd be alot of money to make a fence tall enough. I will check out that link you posted because I've got my husband half convinced that fostering animals through the local shelter here would be a great idea, and by having an outdoor shelter would help integrate an animal into the big family we have :)

sugarcatmom
August 4th, 2010, 01:41 PM
The wire is buried about 1" under the dirt and will run around the yard. Then the animals wear a collar with a transmitter that lets them know when they get close to the line.

The big problem with this scenario (besides the electric shock factor), is that it doesn't keep other animals OUT. So your cats are still at risk for attack by predators. As well, some pets will blow over the "fence" in pursuit of something, but then they won't come back into the yard because once their adrenalin is diminished, the fear of the shock comes back into play. Please reconsider this as a method of keeping your cats contained.