Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Celebration of Light Fireworks 2010 Vancouver

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:27 AM
Sorry for the fuzzyness I don't have a tripod or SLR, next year I might try placing the camera on a book/ledge to see if that helps :shrug: plus it was a bit windy

First up was USA with the theme "In The Mood"

Ten minutes before the start (at 10 pm) I noticed this interesting scene looking northwest with the clouds opening up a bit, long after sundown to allow some light back through, it's not the moon of course because it's behind me. Neat reflection on the pool too :cool:

Love the purple spiral & the fuzzyness of the shot gave the image of a dragonfly :D

The reflection on the ocean is always :cool:

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:30 AM
About 10:15pm, the clouds part a bit & you can see the lightness behind them

This one below is not fuzzy/out of focus, some of them actually come down like that :cool:

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:34 AM

USA Big Finish

Second night was Spain with the theme "Heaven & Hell"

Looks like Saturn :laughing:, also with a purple spiral below

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:37 AM

This one below is fuzzy but I like how it turned out

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:38 AM

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:40 AM
Third night was Mexico with the theme "Journey"

After sunset, northwest

Below out of focus, but looks neat :cool:

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:42 AM

Below Can you see the sideways blue heart in the upper right hand corner? Unfortunately not a good shot but the only one I got of the hearts.

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:45 AM
These fireworks always show up really well for me :shrug: So I must be doing something right :laughing:

Final night was China with theme "The Butterfly Lovers legend" Last years winners & not in the actual competition this year.

Red setting sun below some red clouds, this was about 30 mins after a HUGE thunderclap, 2 fork lightning strikes & 30 mins of big heavy raindrops - storm literally came out of nowhere, & left just as quickly :crazy:

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:46 AM

The open circles are :cool:

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:48 AM

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:50 AM

Below It's a little hard to tell but when this explodes it's a circle that is half green & half purple, there's also a red one behind it in this shot

China's Big sparkly finish, the lack of wind was holding alot of the smoke in close this night

This years winner is: Spain :thumbs up

breeze
August 3rd, 2010, 08:19 AM
all the pictures are really cool.
you must have a great camera to get shots like these :thumbs up

I love the ones with the lighter sky :thumbs up

this is the best way to view the fireworks for me :o from the safety for my house

hazelrunpack
August 3rd, 2010, 10:13 AM
They're cool shots, growler!!! :cloud9: So purrrrrrrrdy!!!!!!! :flirt:

You missed a heart--third shot in post 5!!!! :D

Do you use a specific set of settings on your camera to get such great shots of fireworks?

Love4himies
August 3rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
Wow, great shots of them, growler :lovestruck:. Amazing what they can do with the fireworks :eek:. Are you taking those from your balcony?

luckypenny
August 3rd, 2010, 11:51 AM

Neat! That's the first thing I noticed about that pic too.

Wonderful photos, Growler. I love this one...
Red setting sun below some red clouds

The flag adds a nice touch :ca:.

Dog Dancer
August 3rd, 2010, 04:01 PM
Excellent pics Growler. I haven't gone down to the fireworks in years lately, but I can hear them from home!

growler~GateKeeper
August 4th, 2010, 03:17 AM
all the pictures are really cool.
you must have a great camera to get shots like these :thumbs up

It's a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W50 (http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/W50/W50A.HTM), certainly no SLR but a good one I quite like it :D.

Do you use a specific set of settings on your camera to get such great shots of fireworks?

Don't know that I'd call them great shots :rolleyes: :laughing:

Most of them I used what they call Program Auto setting with the flash off of course, there's a couple of things that can be changed colour, iso, white balance etc

For the China pics I used what is called the Landscape setting - distance focus flash off or the Twilight setting - low light without flash

There is some difference in the amount the camera will focus between Program Auto & the other two, plus the amount of light the lens absorbs/uses

:laughing: Never even noticed that :cool:

Wow, great shots of them, growler :lovestruck:. Amazing what they can do with the fireworks :eek:. Are you taking those from your balcony?

Yeah it's pretty cool what they can come up with when they explode. :lovestruck:

No I definately couldn't afford to live in that area :laughing:. Taking these pics I'm standing in a park above a public outdoor pool beside the beach/ocean.
I live in the next town over - out my balcony I see trees & the neighbouring building :D

Wonderful photos, Growler. I love this one...

The flag adds a nice touch :ca:.

That was interesting after the brief thunder/lightning/rain storm. :cool:

The flag is on/above a free musical performace stage beside/infront of the pool, the other poles you see in the background are boats in the dock beyond that.

Excellent pics Growler. I haven't gone down to the fireworks in years lately, but I can hear them from home!

They definately can get pretty loud especially so close to the barge, some of the booms you can feel :laughing:.

Thanks for the compliments ladies but I of course see the fuzzyness in nearly every shot :frustrated: Sometimes I zoom in too much trying to get a closer picture but that just results in being a bit more out of focus like the sunset in Mexico shots :o

hazelrunpack
August 4th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I think they're pretty cool even if you see fuzz. :p I've never had any fireworks shots turn out half that good! :D