Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Very Sad

grettadoty
August 2nd, 2010, 08:46 AM
I'm new to this forum and when I saw it I thought it would be a great place to share my thoughts about having to put down my German Shepherd of 10 years. She got sick about 8 months ago with Perianul Fistulas a very painful disease predominately in German Shepherds. We tried all kinds of treatments for her. Surgery was out of the question because this particular disease was not successful. They don't know what causes it other than maybe the tail or food allergies. She started to loose weight as well. Gretta was a good 96 pounds when this all started and last week when I brought her to the hosptial she weighed in at 68 pounds. It broke my heart and I miss her terribly. I also have two other beautiful dogs, standard poodle and a golden doodle. Can anyone tell me whether or not they know she is gone and won't be back? It just feels weird and empty in my house. I just hope she's at Rainbow Bridge running and swimming like she use to and having found new friends to play with. Thanks for listening to me as I am still grieving. I am to pick up her ashes today and that's going to be tough but maybe comforting knowing she's with me again.

Thanks again

Winston
August 2nd, 2010, 09:44 AM
Welcome and I am so sorry its under these circumstances. Be sure to know your beloved pet is at the Bridge. All those that who have left before are waiting too! They are free of pain and suffering and will never suffer again!

I recently had to pick up my cats ashes and to be honest it was not easy! but I honestly drew comfort in knowing he was home where he belonged if that makes sense??

Be at peace you will meet again!

:candle:

Shaykeija
August 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I have all my fur babies ashes here at home with me. It gives me comfort knowing they are still with me. When my time comes, they all go with me. It will be hard for a while, but as the grief fades over time, happy memories will return. Your dog knew it was loved.:rip::pray::dog:

hazelrunpack
August 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
Gretta was a beautiful girl, grettadoty--I'm so sorry for your loss :grouphug:

I'm sure your other dogs are missing her, too--and eventually they'll come to terms with the fact that she's not coming back, although I don't know if they fully understand what happened. I do know that they grieve as we do when we've lost a companion. And as with people, they each seem to grieve differently.

It sounds like all of your crew are very well-loved. And now you all have Gretta watching over you, as well.

Hard as it is to believe now, eventually your happy memories of your angel will outweight the sad ones and you'll smile again. :grouphug: Always believe she's waiting for you at the Bridge.

:candle: Gretta

growler~GateKeeper
August 3rd, 2010, 12:41 AM
:rip: sweet :angel2: Gretta :candle: She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge (http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html) with those who've gone before :candle: :grouphug:

Sylvie
August 3rd, 2010, 03:05 PM
What a beautiful girl. Sorry you had to lose her so young.

I too lost my GSD Greta last month due to bloat and stomach twisting. I know how hard it is.

You are in my thoughts.

:rip: Gretta

Floppy Dog
August 3rd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Dear GrettaDoty, I'd like to tell you a story.

When I was a teenager, we had a Golden Sussex Spaniel named Amber. When we went visiting, so did she, especially to my grandparents' apartment. If we went to visit in the evening, my grandfather was often in the bedroom saying his prayers when we arrived. If Amber saw that his armchair was vacant, she would immediately go around the corner to the bedroom to check on my grandfather. Once she saw him, she'd come back to the living room and wait for him.

When I was 19 and Amber was about 10, my grandfather had a stroke and after 3 months, died in hospital. My grandmother kept the apartment and our weekly visits, with Amber, continued. Amber's routine of looking for my grandfather in the bedroom also continued, but with a twist. After she looked in the bedroom, Amber came back to the living room, looked at my grandfather's picture on the wall, then at his armchair and then at my grandmother. You could see the question in Amber's eyes and face: "Where is he, he's supposed to be here, what have you done with him?" When my grandmother couldn't answer Amber, she went into the bathroom and checked it out, then back out to the living room, looked at the picture, the chair and at my grandmother again, with the same question. It would take Amber about 20 to 30 minutes to finally stop looking for my grandfather and settle down at my grandmother's feet or on my mom's lap.

This didn't just happen once or twice, this happened every visit for over 2 years after my grandfather's death.

So in answer to your question, yes your dogs will miss Gretta and yes, they will greive. How they will show it, only you will be able to see because you know them best. And yes, they will get over it too, just like you will. They won't forget Gretta but they will accept that she is no longer "here", just like you will.

And by the way, there's a 25lb Spaniel who would love the play chase, tug and catch wasps (yummy treat!) with Gretta in Rainbow Land. Unfortunately, Gretta is going to have to find another pal to swim with, Amber hates getting wet.

Dee-O-Gee
August 3rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
Your standard and golden will sense that Greta is gone and as part of nature, they too will grieve. Give them plenty of affection and keep your spirits high as they will feed off your positive energy.

So sorry to hear of your loss grettadoty. :grouphug:

:candle: