Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray cat gave birth in my backyard

Monkas
July 30th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Ok I need an advise. A stray cat gave birth to 5 kittens in my backyard. I had 2 other strays that did this a couple of years ago but i was able to make them get in the house days before they gave birth. After I spayed them and kittens were adopted. Now the next one...:cry: This one i couldn't manage to convince her to get inside the house. She gave birth to 5 kittens under our stairs in a box. I saw the kittens yestarday they just started walking already. I want to socialize the kittens until they are young enough and I want to spay the mom. Can you please give me an advise. SHould I take the kittens inside the house but I am afraid the mom will get scared and she will not want to get in. Should I leave the kittens under the stairs. How can I catch the mom and spay her? I am usually really good in getting the pregnant females get inside and give birth inside but this one I was away and I couldnt manage to adapt her inside since i was gone. Please let me know what is best to do so that everything goes well. Kittens get socialiazed and i found home for them, mother gets spayed.

14+kitties
July 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Is she a stray cat or a feral cat? If she is a stray with some patience you may be able to convince her to go into a cat carrier. If the kittens are very small it won't be a problem to catch them. However, the long you wait, the harder it gets.
Do you or could you have access to a live trap? You can sometimes borrow them from a humane society or they are available at most home improvement stores. You could set it up near the stairs with smelly tuna, sardines, anything smelly that would attract a cat to it. Hopefully it would not take long to trap the mom. Once you have her it should be a cinch to get the kittens.
I am assuming you have a place to keep the mom and kittens seeing as you have done this before. A quiet place where mom will feel safe with her kittens is the best. Somewhere there isn't a lot of traffic. At least until mom settles a bit. Then, of course, it is essential to get the kittens used to people.
The best way to get her into a room and not have her freak out on you is to keep her in the live trap until after you have the kittens safely in a room. Cover the trap with a towel or blanket to keep mom calm. Once the kittens are in the room take mom, still in the trap, into the room and release her. Make sure she can see her kittens. Hopefully she will settle and become a house cat quickly.
Good luck and thank you for being an :angel: for this family.

Monkas
July 30th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Is she a stray cat or a feral cat? If she is a stray with some patience you may be able to convince her to go into a cat carrier. If the kittens are very small it won't be a problem to catch them. However, the long you wait, the harder it gets.
Do you or could you have access to a live trap? You can sometimes borrow them from a humane society or they are available at most home improvement stores. You could set it up near the stairs with smelly tuna, sardines, anything smelly that would attract a cat to it. Hopefully it would not take long to trap the mom. Once you have her it should be a cinch to get the kittens.
I am assuming you have a place to keep the mom and kittens seeing as you have done this before. A quiet place where mom will feel safe with her kittens is the best. Somewhere there isn't a lot of traffic. At least until mom settles a bit. Then, of course, it is essential to get the kittens used to people.
The best way to get her into a room and not have her freak out on you is to keep her in the live trap until after you have the kittens safely in a room. Cover the trap with a towel or blanket to keep mom calm. Once the kittens are in the room take mom, still in the trap, into the room and release her. Make sure she can see her kittens. Hopefully she will settle and become a house cat quickly.
Good luck and thank you for being an :angel: for this family.
Thank you for replying and for your advice.:cat: Yes, it is a feral cat, I am my bad. The kittens will be very easy to catch, the problem is with their mom. Also I am afraid that if I try to get the mom inside the house( I have a small quiet computer room perfect and prepared for them)she may get panicked and jump and hit herself against the closed door, as one of my other feral cats did before.
The mom has to be spayed for sure because otherwise she will get pregnant again and again. I hope I have luck to catch her and she wont be panicking much. :fingerscr I remember one of my other feral cats when I brought her to the vet they gave her the shot and she was so panicking, jumping to the ceiling until she got calm from the medication. These things almost give me heart attacks.:cry: It will be difficult for sure especially that I am pregnant now and I am even more sensitive. I have a cat carrier and I will try to catch her with it. I ve been thinking and planing about this problem all day and night:cry: I am so worried and I hope and pray the story will have a happy end.:pray:

14+kitties
July 30th, 2010, 09:16 PM
A cat carrier is not going to do the trick unless you are going to be sitting beside it ready to close the door when the mom goes in. You would have to be very quick doing it that way. If she will allow you that close she is not a feral. More likely a stray.
A live trap would be much easier to catch her with. That way you can set it and watch from a safe distance. It will be better for you and for her.
Do you have someone you can borrow a large dog crate from? kijiji usually has them for sale for around $50. At least in this area they do. They are ideal for keeping feral cats safe. That way you do not have to worry about her hurting herself hitting a door. I have used them numerous times with my ferals and strays.
All cats panic in an unfamiliar situation to some degree. Some do it quietly by hiding under the nearest thing and staying there. Others are very noisy and will run around like a maniac. It is very important to know that this does end. I know you feel rotten while it's happening but they do settle.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes. :fingerscr:goodvibes:
Also - You need to keep the kittens with their mom for as long as possible. On top of everything else you are going through you do not need to have to be worrying about how to bottle feed and toilet train kittens.

Monkas
July 30th, 2010, 09:34 PM
A cat carrier is not going to do the trick unless you are going to be sitting beside it ready to close the door when the mom goes in. You would have to be very quick doing it that way. If she will allow you that close she is not a feral. More likely a stray.
A live trap would be much easier to catch her with. That way you can set it and watch from a safe distance. It will be better for you and for her.
Do you have someone you can borrow a large dog crate from? kijiji usually has them for sale for around $50. At least in this area they do. They are ideal for keeping feral cats safe. That way you do not have to worry about her hurting herself hitting a door. I have used them numerous times with my ferals and strays.
All cats panic in an unfamiliar situation to some degree. Some do it quietly by hiding under the nearest thing and staying there. Others are very noisy and will run around like a maniac. It is very important to know that this does end. I know you feel rotten while it's happening but they do settle.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes. :fingerscr:goodvibes:
Also - You need to keep the kittens with their mom for as long as possible. On top of everything else you are going through you do not need to have to be worrying about how to bottle feed and toilet train kittens.

Thank you so much again for the good advise. You are right, this does end.. :pray: I will also look for these live traps or worst case scenario a large dog crate.
I will let you know how it goes.:fingerscr

Monkas
August 9th, 2010, 05:33 PM
A little bit update. Step 1 is done. I took the kittens and now they are all 6 in our house in one room. They are around 4 weeks old. They eat kittens dry food and drink water. The only problem is with the toilet, but I guess they are too young to do it always in the litter. Sometimes they choose to do it on a blanket.
The mom knows where are her kittens and she usually stays outside on the windows watching them playing or eating. She is quite sad. Once we opened the window and she got in but took one of the kittens. Then we took it back and since then we dont open the window. I try to make her come inside the house from the door as I feed her every day. She is still quite afraid.
Step 2. I need to catch the mom and bring her to the vet for spaying. That will be a bit tough.
Step 3. is I need to find loving homes for them.

JennieV
August 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I just had an idea... open the window, close the room entrance door... wait outside... momma will go in to get the kitties and you can close the window with her in the room... :shrug:
at least they will be together... can that be done with your windows? maybe set up with a string? as long as you capture her in the room, you should be able to gain her trust...

Winston
August 9th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Exactly JennieV and I am not sure at 4 weeks these kitties should be without the mom...mom helps them go to the bathroom still at this age??? Please try to catch the mom it will be the best for her and the kittens. then when they are weened and mom drys up a bit you can have her spayed. :shrug:

Monkas
August 9th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Yes she can get in through the window but then she takes a kitten right a way and tries to take it outside. I am not able to close the window from the outside. She is still very afraid to get closer to me. It is very uncomfortable situation and I feel very sad for the mom.:shrug: Still my biggest worry is how will I be able to gain her trust and catch her in a cage to bring her to the vet.

I thought I spayed all cats around the neighbourhood and I was relaxing until she came to me with 6 kittens. I am too sensitive and I get attached so quickly. So this whole story will be once again very painful for me. Well I am not that important. I hope all cats will be happy at the end..:pray:

Winston
August 9th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Monkas can you let mom in and then block or close the window...this way if she trys to take a kitten then she cant really go anywhere...maybe you could make up a box for her in the room and she may just try to gather her kittens up and be together in the box. Are you feeding only dry food? Wet food would be much better at this point especially if they are having trouble with bowel movements...besides moms milk has things in it only a kitty can get from mom so its so important for them to be weaned properly...

JennieV
August 9th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I was also thinking that at 4 weeks they should not be eating dry food. like Winston said, the idea is for now reunite mom and kittens, to allow for proper time together and the kittens to develop well. Also, is it my mistake or if kittens are taken away so suddenly, momma cat could go into heat again???

the best solution would be to trap her in the same room, and close the window as soon as she jumps in the room to get the kitten. be it with a piece of plywood or something she cant move... Something to block her exit... or, stick the pet carrier in the window hole!
but you should wait till kittens are bigger to spay her

Winston
August 9th, 2010, 07:51 PM
You got it JennieV and please make sure that if you block the window be sure its 100% blocked...because cats have ways of trying to get out and if she is in heat she will get pregnant again! :( If there is no glass in the window maybe you could nail some wood over it until she is fixed and the kittens are older?? just a few suggestions since I dont really know your set up.

Cindy

Monkas
August 9th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Hi guys,
I would of left the kittens with their mom outside but this would of ment that they will not get socialized and later I will not to be able to catch them. The mother is really savage and if i lock her inside somehow she will panic and may hurt herself. In the room there are a few nice kitten houses with cotton blankets and the kittens sleep in one of them. I tried capturing the mom in the room a few times but as soon as i come not even closer she runs so fast.

JennieV
August 9th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Hi guys,
I would of left the kittens with their mom outside but this would of ment that they will not get socialized and later I will not to be able to catch them. The mother is really savage and if i lock her inside somehow she will panic and may hurt herself. In the room there are a few nice kitten houses with cotton blankets and the kittens sleep in one of them. I tried capturing the mom in the room a few times but as soon as i come not even closer she runs so fast.

you should try at least. She may be a lil savage at first, but if she is with babies - she will eventually calm down and begin to trust you.
I am just trying to help. :shrug:

14+kitties
August 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Hey Monkas. Did you manage to track down a live trap and a large dog crate? The dog crate is ideal for feral cats. Over the last couple of years I have had a large number of feral cats I live trapped and then kept in the crates until they were fixed. Once they were fixed they were either released or went into the catuary.
If they are in a contained area they may freak at first but they do settle down. Especially if she has her kittens with her.
I googled kijiji Montreal and found a few dog crates available for not bad prices.
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://quebec.kijiji.ca/
Maybe you could get one and set it up in the room, put the kittens in the crate and leave the door open a bit. Open the window. Once mom has ventured into the crate you can close the door quickly and you will have her. Or, once she is in the room can you have someone on the other side of the window put something in front of it so you can close it from the inside and she can't get back out?
It is a wonderful thing that you are doing. :grouphug: You are an :angel: It would be great if you could get them eating a wet canned food. So much better for them. Even if it is only Friskies it's better than the dry kitten food. You want to get them off to a great start, right? :thumbs up

Love4himies
August 10th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Hi guys,

That is how Sugarcatmom's rescued momma reacted, but within days she settled down and now loves being the pampered pet.

14+ really has terrific ideas.

I agree at 4 weeks, the kittens should not be eating kibble. They need to grow and be getting a lot of fluid.

NoahGrey
August 10th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I agree with the live trap and that these kittens should not be eating dry food. At 4 weeks they need their mothers milk. simply put. As for the live trap, I would place the back up the trap against the window, (so she can still see her kittens) bait the trap. Canned Tuna or salmon usually works the best, since they are the smellest.

When i was working as an Animal Protection Officer, and we had feral mom and kittens. We would put kittens in cage, place the live trap infront of the kittens cage..mom seein her kittens would go into trap. We would usually get mom within the hour.

Monkas
August 14th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Hey Monkas. Did you manage to track down a live trap and a large dog crate? The dog crate is ideal for feral cats. Over the last couple of years I have had a large number of feral cats I live trapped and then kept in the crates until they were fixed. Once they were fixed they were either released or went into the catuary.
If they are in a contained area they may freak at first but they do settle down. Especially if she has her kittens with her.
I googled kijiji Montreal and found a few dog crates available for not bad prices.
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://quebec.kijiji.ca/
Maybe you could get one and set it up in the room, put the kittens in the crate and leave the door open a bit. Open the window. Once mom has ventured into the crate you can close the door quickly and you will have her. Or, once she is in the room can you have someone on the other side of the window put something in front of it so you can close it from the inside and she can't get back out?
It is a wonderful thing that you are doing. :grouphug: You are an :angel: It would be great if you could get them eating a wet canned food. So much better for them. Even if it is only Friskies it's better than the dry kitten food. You want to get them off to a great start, right? :thumbs up

Hello everyone :)
14++ i cant open the link. Can you please post it again?

Some updates from the kittens and their mom. They are doing well. Already socialized. I spend a lot of time with them and the mom comes inside too, but she stays for a bit and eats and then she leaves outside. She looks happy because she sees that I feed her kittens and she also watches them play all day. I give them dry and canned food too. She allows me now to touch her on the head for a couple of minutes. IN the next 2 weeks I am planing to spay her.. and hopefully adopt her. I am so attached to the kittens and it hurts my heart that I have to give them away.:shrug:I really want to give them to good people. If you know anyone who would adopt a kitten please let me know.

By the way there is another cat most likely abandoned. I am planning to neuter him in the next 2 weeks too. He has some dark brownish liquid on his eyes and always closes his eyes as it seems to bother him. I will check with the vet about this too. Any ideas what could be this on his eyes? He is easy to catch so i wouldn't worry about it.
Here are some pictures of the kittens and there is one picture of the mom. I took the pics today.

A photobucket slide show..http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/yy169/Kittykoti/?albumview=slideshow

or pictures in my photobucket album:http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/yy169/Kittykoti/

Frenchy
August 14th, 2010, 07:59 PM
or pictures in my photobucket album:http://s788.photobucket.com/albums/yy169/Kittykoti/

omg that last picture of them on the chair , all looking up , don't know how you manage that but it's an awesome pic ! They're too cute ! :lovestruck:

14+kitties
August 14th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Monkas - that is just kijiji Quebec. If you try the link I left here and type in dog crates (or whatever it is in French) you should get a bunch show up. You want a large one. At least 42" long. In Ont they go for around $50 used.

http://quebec.kijiji.ca/f-animaux-W0QQCatIdZ112

Good work with the kittens and their mom. It's too bad you can't get the mom to stay inside. :fingerscr It doesn't sound like she would freak too badly if you tried keeping her in.
Now I have to go check out pics. :D

Monkas
August 14th, 2010, 08:12 PM
Monkas - that is just kijiji Quebec. If you try the link I left here and type in dog crates (or whatever it is in French) you should get a bunch show up. You want a large one. At least 42" long. In Ont they go for around $50 used.

http://quebec.kijiji.ca/f-animaux-W0QQCatIdZ112

Good work with the kittens and their mom. It's too bad you can't get the mom to stay inside. :fingerscr It doesn't sound like she would freak too badly if you tried keeping her in.
Now I have to go check out pics. :D

I tried closing the window while she was inside but she panicked. I am sure within a week she will trust me more fore sure. Just today we made a big progress. That is the way I managed to get my other feral cats inside a couple of years ago the only good thing was I manged to do it just on time while they were pregnant...:pray:

14+kitties
August 14th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I tried closing the window while she was inside but she panicked. I am sure within a week she will trust me more fore sure. Just today we made a big progress. That is the way I managed to get my other feral cats inside a couple of years ago the only good thing was I manged to do it just on time while they were pregnant...:pray:

Fair enough. She may panic for a while but I bet she would settle soon. Better indoors than out possibly being hit by a car. She could be doing the babies so much good by being with them at this age. They are adorable btw! Such sweet little babes. :cloud9:

chico2
August 15th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Monkas,what an absolutely precious little bunch of babies:lovestruck:
A thousand:grouphug:'s to you for caring and helping all these kitties,you are now officially added to our kitty-angels list and it's quiet long:cat:

Those two little Torties,the little orange one and....oh well,they are all adorable.
I see mom is a Tortie too,I:pray:you can get her before she gets pregnant again,or worse,killed..

JennieV
August 17th, 2010, 07:31 PM
awwwww! adorable! :thumbs up good job on getting the mom used to you... I think if she comes in on her own, you cant just "forget" to leave the door open for her to get out! LOL

Monkas
August 21st, 2010, 09:54 PM
Hi everyone,
Just to let you know I spend a lot of time with the kittens and the mom.She already comes inside and stays with the kittens for a couple of hours a day. She breastfeeds them, eats also inside and I leave the window open while I am there. She started trusting me more and she lies with the kittens next to me. It is a huge progress. I will call this week for an appointment with the vet. The problem is now in the house including the kittens I have 12 cats. I have posted on kijiji for the kittens selling them 50$ each but no one replied yet. I hope I find them loving homes they are so sweet. If anyone can help me with adoption, it is much appreciated.

lindapalm
August 21st, 2010, 10:17 PM
You've done a great job, and are very patient. A lot of people would have turned the other way, and there would have been another litter of feral kittens. Nice Job.

chico2
August 22nd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Monkas,you have done a wonderful job,maybe momma cat is not feral at all,just wary of people..
I think she really appreciates having her kittens safe with you.
I hope you can manage to adopt out some to good homes,it just seems to me,there are kittens/cats needing homes everywhere,thank's to ignorant,careless owners:(

Winston
August 22nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Monkas depending on where you live you could possibly approach a shelter or rescue or even an SPCA. You may be able to explain to them what you have managed to do and see if they will provide some assistance. Perhaps you could agree with an organization that if they take the kitties and mom that you could be a foster for them?

You can also look into the low cost spay and neuter clinics that are available in the area. Some may be willing to do the kitties for cheaper amount considering there are more than one?

Thanks so much for trying to worh with the mom. Its so important for the kittens to be able to nurse and be with mom! Hopefully soon you will be able to extend the amount of time she stays with you until she wants to be there all the time! :thumbs up I hope its sooner or later because she is always at risk outside.

I think we need some more pics! :D

Monkas
August 22nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Hi guys,

I have 5 feral cats at home that now they live in the house and go outside in my backyard for a bit and come back. I have them for many years now. Now with the mom and kittens they are 12 in total. I plan to adopt the mom since I think she will not be able to adapt to a new place. If I adopt her, in the winter its very cold and she can be inside all the time. Thank you for your advice I really hope I will find serious and loving homes for all. Last case scenario I have a friend that volunteers in one no kill shelter 50 minutes from Montreal. She told me that If I bring them there they spay/neuter them and vaccinate them. Then people can adopt them for a fee of 80$ and she also said that kittens get adopted quick. Can you please give me an advise about giving them into this no kill shelter if it is a good idea. I feel so sad and I dont know what to do.:shrug:

14+kitties
August 22nd, 2010, 11:47 AM
:grouphug: Great job!!! :thumbs up
Can you go visit this no kill shelter and see what the set up is like? In all seriousness though it is probably 100% better than advertising them on kijiji. Even your free newspaper is a better choice than that. At least people who want to adopt from the shelter are somewhat monitored. I hope. :fingerscr It's great they s/n before adopting!!
Only 12 in the house? :laughing:
Again, great job!! :highfive:

Monkas
August 23rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hi guys I am now about worried. I am 6 months*** pregnant and I stay at least 8 hours during the weekends with the kittens. I dont clean their litter box my husband do it but i touch and hug them all the time. Everytime I get out of the room I wash my hands with hot water nad soap but still do you know if I can be affected? I will ask my doctor for a blood test check on my next appointemnt although if I catch toxoplasmosis will be too late.

Winston
August 23rd, 2010, 12:27 PM
I dont think you have anything to worry about. IF hubby does the litter then thats great! You could speak to the doctor but I wouldnt worry too much.

Have you managed to keep the mom inside now that she is adapting better? I would hate to see her preggers again!

14+kitties
August 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
Ahh Monkas - there is more chance of you picking up toxoplasmosis from undercooked meat than there is from the kittens and their litter. It's a wonderful thing our doctors have done to us, isn't it? :frustrated: It's called fear mongering. About the same as what they do when someone in the house comes up with allergies. "Oh, you have cats? Get rid of the cats and your allergies will go away."
Playing with the kittens will not give you this disease. Although, as Winston says, if you can convince hubby you will get sick if you change the litter boxes..... :thumbs up:laughing:

Monkas
August 23rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
Yes the mom comes every day in the house and she is brestfeeding them at least twice a day. She is getting used indoors by the our. I must say for the last 3-4 days there is a huge progress. :thumbs up
I give them canned tuna and saumon. They love it. :angel: I think if she brestfeeds them she cant get pregnant but I spoke to the vet and they told me I can bring her anytime I can. I will try to catch her this week. It will be heartbreaking:(
By the way I am alergic to my long furry cats but I really dont care. I will never abandon them. I am also alergic to dust.:D

Love4himies
August 23rd, 2010, 01:24 PM
Awww, what a wonderful person you are :angel:.

Oh, yes, momma can get pregnant while breastfeeding. Rose when into heat when Rosebud was only about 4 weeks old. Sweet Pea went into heat when her kittens were about 8 weeks and she was still nursing hers.

14+kitties
August 23rd, 2010, 02:40 PM
I think if she brestfeeds them she cant get pregnant but I spoke to the vet and they told me I can bring her anytime I can. I will try to catch her this week. It will be heartbreaking:(

:laughing: That's what people think too when women are breastfeeding their babies. Nine months later..... surprise!!
The mom can/will get pregnant at any time after giving birth. If there is a male around she can start a heat. It doesn't matter how old the kittens are. Male cats have been known to kill kittens to get to the female too. :(

Winston
August 23rd, 2010, 03:12 PM
I havent read back further but are the kitties old enough yet to be taken off the mom from nursing? 14+ has way more experience than I but I am not sure its a good thing to take momma in if the babies are still young? Dont worry about how the mom feels! she will be thankful to you way down the road when she doesnt have to keep birthing babies! :thumbs up

You are doing such a wonderful thing for her and the babies!!!:thumbs up

14+kitties
August 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
I havent read back further but are the kitties old enough yet to be taken off the mom from nursing? 14+ has way more experience than I but I am not sure its a good thing to take momma in if the babies are still young? Dont worry about how the mom feels! she will be thankful to you way down the road when she doesnt have to keep birthing babies! :thumbs up

You are doing such a wonderful thing for her and the babies!!!:thumbs up

I think it was Aug 9th when Monkas said the kittens were around 4 weeks Winston.
I personally would wait for at least another month before taking the mom in. It would be great if you could get her to stay in the room with the kittens full time now. That way you don't have to worry about her getting pregnant before then. If she does it's posssible she will not bother to pay attention to this litter because she will be busy scoping out a new place for the next litter.
By waiting a month her milk should be almost dried up and it will be safer to get her fixed. They can do it now but there would be a larger danger of infection.
Right now the kittens still need the nutrients that momma's milk is giving them.
Also you said you were giving them canned tuna and salmon. Is that cat food or human food? It would be a great idea to get them on canned cat food. Our food does not have the needed ingredients to keep them going. Even if it is just Friskies it's better than a diet of tuna and salmon. :thumbs up

Monkas
August 23rd, 2010, 06:00 PM
The mom is coming inside a few times a day and she stays in for a couple of hours especially today stayed a lot. I am trying to get her permanently in but I think this will take a few more days to get her used to me more. Today I was surprised she slept inside for an hour and the kittens were sleeping over her and around her. A few days ago I couldn't move or make quick movements or talk because she was scared and running out the window. Now I even walk and talk and she stays in. Today I could touch her for a minute, she let me. This took me a lot of patience and dedication and I ve done this twice more times previously, the only difference was that the feral cats got used to me while they were pregnant and they chose to give birth inside which was much easier for me.
The kittens are approximately 6-7 weeks I am guessing.
I also have cat's canned food and I give them all the time too. Dry food for kittens as well.

It will be much easier if I dont work during the week and I spend more time with the mom and the kittens but today I was off and it was worth it. Tomorrow my husband will stay with them since he is off for the rest of the week.

Monkas
August 23rd, 2010, 06:02 PM
Oh, one more question when kittens in general are ready for adoption. How many months they should be?

Love4himies
August 24th, 2010, 07:00 AM
About 10-12 weeks old. By then they are no longer nursing and they are well socialized.

BTW, as 14+ stated, waiting another month before spaying would be best. Some vets won't even spay until momma's milk is dried up unless it is an emergency. Should momma get pregnant in the meantime you can always have the babies aborted if she is not too far along.

Monkas
August 24th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Thank you for your replies. I will try to keep the mom inside with the kittens full time and not let her out but i think I need a few more days for her to feel more secure. Even if she does get pregnant again I will take her to the vet and they will abort the kittens for sure. It is very important that she does not give birth to anymore kittens. As 14++ kittens says I will wait.:pray:

Monkas
August 25th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Just to let you know. I will be getting a big cage from the vet that I will be spaying the cat at. THe mom is doing great but once she is outside the window and I try to close the window she is very mad. She wants the window open all the time and she doesnt let me close it.
I feel that in a few days she will stay full time inside with her kittens. I can touch her head and back now and she let me.:pray: it looks liek everything is under control.:pray:

Love4himies
August 25th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Just to let you know. I will be getting a big cage from the vet that I will be spaying the cat at. THe mom is doing great but once she is outside the window and I try to close the window she is very mad. She wants the window open all the time and she doesnt let me close it.
I feel that in a few days she will stay full time inside with her kittens. I can touch her head and back now and she let me.:pray: it looks liek everything is under control.:pray:

That sounds very promising, Monkas :thumbs up. I think she may want to ensure there is an escape route for her. But like sugarcatmom's Cinnamon Girl, I am sure she will come to love being pampered inside :cloud9::lovestruck:

chico2
August 25th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Monkas,what a nice vet to let you have the crate:thumbs up
I am sure momma cat will be ok eventually,she knows you mean her no harm and her babies are safe,it's a wonderful thing you are doing:grouphug:

14+kitties
August 25th, 2010, 10:54 PM
It's great you are getting a large crate from your vet. I wouldn't know what to do without mine. They have all been used and used well. :thumbs up
I appreciate you taking the time to make mom as comfortable as possible before leaving her in full time. My feel is still that she needs to be indoor 100% of the time. The tamer she is when she goes to get fixed the less stressful it will be for her and you. Especially with you being pregnant as well. You don't need the stress.
Good luck with getting her in. Maybe hubby could work on that for you seeing as he is home the rest of the week. :fingerscr :)

Monkas
August 26th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I spoke to the vet today and she aranged an appointment for September 9th. She also told me that I can pass by next week to get the crate and get a pill that will make the cat more calm when bringing her to the vet. My husband stayed with the kittens and the mom all day yestarday and the day before and also today he called me he is with them since the morning. The mom started lying on the couch :lightbulb: and she feels so much confident than before Tomorrow or Saturday(I will be all the time with them during the weekend) I will close the window when she is in and see how it goes. My husband made some pictures with her lying on the floor falling asleep and brestfeeding the gang, but the pics are taken with his cell phone so i will try to upload them later if i can manage to know how. That's it for now. Thank you to all of you for supporting me all the time.:pray:

PS So far no one is interested to adopt a kitten.

Love4himies
August 26th, 2010, 02:03 PM
She is really coming along. She is getting to know that there is no danger to her inside the house :thumbs up If you do attempt to close the window, will there be somebody who will stand by it to open it again if she panics? It took Rose a few times of us closing the screen door to the screened in porch (while she was in the porch) for her to get used to it.

Monkas
August 27th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Yes I will be close to the window and if she panics a lot I will open it and try again and again but if she panics just a bit I will try to keep her in and not open the window. Its a good thing today is friday and i will be spending the whole weekend with them:thumbs up. Last night I cuddled the mom and she was purring for a while.
Its amazing how for a few weeks from being afraid to get in and if i got closer she would run away and then slowly she would jump inside for a few seconds then for a few minutes..back then she didnt let me touch her and if i moved she would run away.Now i can touch her and she stays in for hours...and she investigated and smelled every inch of the 2 rooms where the kittens are. As I told you even she sat on the couch as well. BUT she looks if the window is open every 2 minutes while in.. I hope this weekend I will close her in and everything will be perfect for her and me :)

Love4himies
August 27th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Animals are comfortable in an environment that they know at the current time. It sounds like she is getting to know her new environment, with a few added purrs to top it off :cloud9: :lovestruck: :grouphug: :thumbs up

Monkas
August 27th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I got an email from a lady that wants to adopt one male kitten if possible this weekend since she took one week off(next week) so that she has time to spend with the kitten. The kittens are now approx 7-8 weeks old and I wanted to wait till 10 weeks old. Can you please give me any advice if it is too early?
I am so sad. I wanted people to come visit and reserve and ofcourse I would look for the best people and then once I approve the people I wanted all kittens to be taken in the same day or a couple of days apart. I feel it is not fair if one kitten is taken earlier than the others. :(

chico2
August 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Monkas,IMO 7-8weeks is too young,but I know it's done,my Vinnie when he was found,was estimated at being 12 weeks old and he was still really small.
Other people that have dealt with kittens can give you better info than I.
It will be very difficult for you and I feel for the little one,who will be without his family,but I suppose that is the way it's done:(

Will you be making a contract,with No De-Clawing and definitely spay/neuter?

Monkas
August 28th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Monkas,IMO 7-8weeks is too young,but I know it's done,my Vinnie when he was found,was estimated at being 12 weeks old and he was still really small.
Other people that have dealt with kittens can give you better info than I.
It will be very difficult for you and I feel for the little one,who will be without his family,but I suppose that is the way it's done:(

Will you be making a contract,with No De-Clawing and definitely spay/neuter?

Can you give me more info about this contract? I definitely want all kittens spayed/neutered and no de-clawed once they are adopted..

Love4himies
August 28th, 2010, 11:25 AM
The longer they are with their momma and siblings the better, can she wait until towards the end of the week? Or take 2 :D

Monkas
August 28th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Hi everyone. Yestarday I closed the window while she was sleeping on the couch! She just looked at me and at the window and then she closed her eyes again. After 5 mins she came to the window and she tried to get out gently but she saw its closed and she didnt panic. Then she went again on the couch and lied down. She checked the window 3-4 more times and did the same. So she was inside for like 3 hours and then when i got up she got scared and panicked and I opened the window. She gets scared if I get up but not when I sit. Here are a few pics we took today. I give them twice a day canned soft food and they have dry food all the time and fresh water changed daily:lovestruck:.

Love4himes I really want to give them to good people in pairs :(
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy169/Kittykoti/P8280243.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy169/Kittykoti/P8280242.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy169/Kittykoti/P8280244.jpg

chico2
August 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Monkas,they are precious and so is mom:lovestruck:
As for the contract 14+knows all about it,I think there might even be a "sticky"about it.
I'll PM 14+ and she can tell you,ok:cat:

14+kitties
August 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM
This is a pretty straight forward application form. You can adjust it to suit your own situation. If I can find the original one I have used I will post it but for now this will work.

http://www.all-creatures.org/ak/ak-adopt-application-old.pdf

Great work with mom and babies. They are all sweet. :cloud9: I think mom would be ok left in the house. A little panic is not bad. :thumbs up
If the person filling out the application form says that they are planning on declawing then I would not adopt to them. Pure and simple.
As for the woman who wants to get a kitten this weekend... I personally would not allow that unless the person is someone I know well. I want to make sure I can do a check on the potential adopters and also do a check on their home.

Monkas
September 3rd, 2010, 09:30 AM
Hello every one,

I would like to give you some updates. The mom is already a full time inside since Monday. She stays all the time with the kittens. She uses the litter box as well. I took the cage from my vet and also the pill yestarday. The vet told me to give her half of the pill on the date I will bring her to be fixed.
The cage is in their room and I put food inside the cage and she goes in and eats from there.
Not sure if I told you I will have to bring her to the vet on September the 9th around 7:30 pm and they will spay her on September the 10th. I forgot to ask if the stitches will have to be removed after or the stitches are these special once for feral cats that grow with the skin and dont need to be removed. I hope.

Now a couple of people called me for the kittens and then they cancelled. I plan to bring them on September the 18th to that shelter and I will give to the shelter money and blankets and I will ask them to keep me informed for the kittens and who adopts them. I will be going there very often to check on them. I understood that they dont keep kittens in cages but in a spare spacy place. My friend is volunteer in this shelter. I will also go before I bring them in. I am so sad and I feel so sad for the mom since she will be looking for them when they are gone. My heart breaks. Can you please let me know if she will be very sad and depressed once she sees her kittens are not in the room anymore... :(

Thank you kittens++ for the form. I will definetely use it if someone wants to adopt a kitten.

Love4himies
September 3rd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Wow, great job :thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up

When the kittens reach this age, sometimes they, ummm, are happy to be free of their babies. I know Sweet Pea was :laughing:. Especially when they are recovering from spaying.

I have never had to take any of my fosters in to have stitches removed, they were always the dissolvable ones.

14+kitties
September 3rd, 2010, 10:27 AM
:grouphug: Great job!! I am so proud of what you have accomplished! It takes a lot of work, sweat and love to get this far. :thumbs up
L4H is right. Momma cats are normally starting to draw away from their babies at this age. I'm sure given the chance here Naddy would love a rest away from her gang! :rolleyes: Your momma will be good. Especially seeing as she will still be recovering from her spay. :thumbs up Most likely the stitches will be dissolvable.
Great job!! :highfive:

Monkas
September 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Please allow me to give you some updates. As I said the mom is full time in and its been a week now.Today we had to ask her to go for about 20 mins outside(she doesnt want to go outside anymore but we gave her some tuna outside to convince her), since we had visitors to adopt the 2 torties. The lady who took them is a vet and she came with her daughters. They had 2 cats one passed away(was also a tortie) from being old and the other cat, they still have it and it's 9 y o. You can really tell when someone had cats all his life and how they handle the cats. For me this is very important. So after they left and the mom came in again and she felt her 2 babies are gone and she was very sad and felt frustrated. She wanted to protect the rest of the kittens and wanted to take them out but of course the window was closed. Poor momma :(. I hate days like that. I get so emotional and tired of the whole situation every time because I am separating the mom and the kittens and the kittens are changing they home.
The lady sent me already an email with news that everything is well and everyone loves the kittens. They have named them and they also sent me a picture. I am very happy that everything went well.
Four more kittens waiting for adoption I hope people will take them in pairs too:pray: most importantly I hope to find them good homes.

September the 9th is the day I hope everything will go smoothly with the mom and hope I will manage to catch her in the cage with the least stress for her.:pray: She has being much better. I must say she has socialized 50% more since last week.

This is it for now. Thank you for caring about my story. I really need to share it with good people like you.:grouphug:

14+kitties
September 6th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Congrats on adopting out two together!! Great job!! :grouphug: Now to get the others to the shelter on the 18th. :fingerscr
Keep up the great job!!

Monkas
September 9th, 2010, 10:01 AM
This morning I gave the pill to the mother and she became really calm within 2 hours. Guess what she is at the vet's clinic... I even caugh this white and orange male cat who I believe is the father, since I have seen them together cuddling. I mentioned somewhere in my post above that he has some eye infection so now I brought both cats at the clinic and the vet will even look at his eye infection. They were really calm in the car. I hope everything goes well at the clinic. The vet will fix them tomorrow and I will take them back Saturday at 10 am. A few weeks ago just thinking of catching the mom for me was impossible. I cant wait to take them back this Saturday and I really hope they will trust me again. All this until now took alot of energy, patience and worries(esspecially that I am pregnant) but for me animals are very important. I also want to thank my husband who was helping me all the time with this. It is not over yet I will feel better when I take them back. So far this is the third feral cat with babies I have rescued,and this tortie is the most dedicated mom I've had.. I think half of the project is done..:pray:

Love4himies
September 9th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Wahoo!!!!!!!! :thumbs up. That pill must be the same one I have to use on Rose so I can pick her up. It took a while to take affect, but she wasn't so panicked when I picked her up to put in the carrier.

Of course momma will trust you when you pick her up :grouphug:, she may not trust the :evil: carrier though :laughing:

Congrats on the adoption, I missed that post until today. :thumbs up

14+kitties
September 9th, 2010, 11:19 AM
:highfive: Good job!!! Two for one!! That is so great! You are an angel for helping out all the kitties you do. You will be thanked for it! Soon mom will be back safe and sound and with catching the daddy there is one less baby maker in town! :thumbs up

chico2
September 9th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Monkas,that's fantastic,good job:thumbs up

I am sure mom will be fine once she gets back home and the dad will be no worse for wear,there just won't be any more homeless kittens born:cat:

Monkas
September 11th, 2010, 09:09 PM
We took the 2 cats home... everything went well. :thumbs up The male has an eye infection and they gave him a shot/antibiotic and eye drops. The vet told us that the mom was pregnant again!!! The babies were small like a size of a bean. I am glad everything went well and she was spayed on time. :highfive: :fingerscr
Thank you for everyone who supported me and was following my story.:grouphug: I will let you know about the 4 kittens left. I hope I find good homes for them.:pray:

Love4himies
September 11th, 2010, 10:33 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great job, monkas :thumbs up:thumbs up:thumbs up :highfive:

Sylvie
September 12th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Wow, what a fantastic job you have done. :thumbs up You should be proud. :grouphug:

diandpat
September 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM
The vet told us that the mom was pregnant again!!! The babies were small like a size of a bean.

:wall::wall: Poor sweet girl...bless you for taking care of this and her "partner" too. As cute as they are, there are just too many kittens in the world and this girl needs a break.

Is she going to be released again or is she able to live in a home now? :fingerscr
:highfive:...you really join the ranks of kittie angels :pawprint:

14+kitties
September 12th, 2010, 01:56 PM
:thumbs up YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!! :highfive::angel:

JennieV
September 16th, 2010, 07:21 PM
Awesome!!!! :thumbs up great job monkas!