Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy peeing in the crate during the day...

Rory_123
July 22nd, 2010, 08:58 PM
My 13 week old puppy has been consistently peeing in the crate when I leave her during the day. She will never at night (for 8 hours) but during the day if I leave her for one hour or three, it doesn't matter, she will pee. I always take her out before I leave. She doesn't love being alone in the crate (she barks a bit when I'm gone) but she doesn't have a typical SA personality, she is not a velcro dog at all.

She was a rescue and had a bladder infection when I got her, so I'm worried she just got used to lying in her urine and now doesn't mind it. How do I deal with this? Her crate is not too big for her - and even when I made it really small, she still would go in the crate.

Help?!?!?!?

Winston
July 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Welcome aboard! Thank you for considering a rescue! I think with a bit of patience and time things will work out. When you leave her is she tired? they say a tired dog is a happy dog...maybe a quick walk before you leave ...potty break for sure and do you leave her anything in the crate? maybe you could leave her a kong filled with some goodies and that could keep her occupied for a whille. Toys as well?

You may have to start back at the basics and reward her for the good behaviour in the crate until she feels that sense of security with you.

Hope to see some pics! and good luck

CIndyu

Dee-O-Gee
July 22nd, 2010, 09:39 PM
Your lucky that she doesn't have SA--whew! Given that she is only 13 weeks old, that's still pretty young.

Is the crate in a centralized area and covered with an old blanket? One trick I did when our pup was young was to throw her favorite toys and/or a treat inside the crate but close the door with her standing on the outside and she literally barked to get in! :D

Try to make her feel comfortable with an open door policy.

Hope this helps! :thumbs up

Rory_123
July 22nd, 2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks for your responses! She does get a filled kong - I am weary of leaving other toys for her when I can't be there to supervise. Crate is covered and I leave on some music for her. She does bark/whine/cry when I'm gone, but the neighbours have said she is getting better and she is always quiet by the time I get home. She doesn't stick to me like glue in the house, either. She goes into her crate at bedtime on her own, and a few times she has done it during the day as well. Before I leave I try to take her around the block, running on the grass a bit. I guess my question is: what can you do for a puppy that has been accustomed to lying in her urine? I am tempted to leave a towel so she doesn't have to sit in it. But wouldn't that just encourage her? I guess once she grows a bit I will know for sure whether it is the initial stress of me leaving or just a small bladder.

TeriM
July 23rd, 2010, 03:32 AM
First thing you should do is make sure that the bladder infection is completely cleared up and there is no physical reason for her not to hold it.

Next thing is I would recommend that you start feeding all her meals in the crate. Dogs generally do not like to eliminate in the areas which the eat so that should help.

Be careful with things that you leave in the crate at such a young age. Puppies are often tempted to destroy their bedding or toys if they are bored so you need to make sure that the pup can't ingest the remnents.

Good luck :goodvibes:.

Mirela
July 25th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Is there anything different in and/or around the crate from day to night? There must be something that makes her think that it's OK to go potty in her crate during the day.
By any chance, do you change the crate location? Is the blanket on the crate all the time or only at night?? Does she get access to water duting the day but not at night??

If she's able to hold it overnight, I would say that the problem is not physical.

Oh, and no, definitely no bedding until she's no longer peeing in the crate.

Rory_123
July 25th, 2010, 11:44 PM
I'm happy to report that the past two days there have been no accidents in the crate! I have changed the way I leave the house - told her no very firmly when she started being vocal as I left. Now she only whines a little as I leave, no barking. Perhaps the peeing was a result of her getting all hysterical. I will know the results of her urine tests in 2 days. Housebreaking is going so well! Especially compared to before, when obviously with the infection she couldn't hold it in 10 minutes.