Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog and kitten trouble

kittentrouble
September 10th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Hi. I just got a new kitten and my chihuahua is hostile towards the introduction of the two. Yesterday he nipped the kittens ear and I was wondering if you have any ideas on how to introduce the two? right now we have them seperated in two different rooms so they don't hurt each other but I would really like them to get along so that I can keep the kitten. HELP!

heeler's rock!
September 11th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Hi and welcome to the board! :D

I got 2 kittens a few months ago and my puppies did fine with them. However, my oldest dog who has always chased cats and snarled at them, took awhile to get used to them. I was scared at first too. What I did was I bought a crate for my cats and I left them in there and let the dog sniff them through there. Then, I'd put up a baby gate between the kitchen and the living room. The cats couldn't climb over it yet. When I was home, I'd watch them together and if my dog tried to snap or I heard her growling, even a little, I'd say "Red! Leave it!" When i was away, I'd leave the cats in a room on their own. Now, I can leave them all out together and not have to worry about it! Hope that helps! :D